The better storyline

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: The better storyline

I was thinking before the Lakers/Rockets game yesterday that the Lakers winning would have been awesome, but them losing actually builds more drama. It's a better story.

If this was a movie, it would be more compelling to the the Lakers lose and lose badly. Have everything that could possibly go wrong go wrong.

The players would be down. Confidence shaken. Then someone on the team gives that speech about never giving up. About having a winning mentality. And that even if you lose, you never just accept it.

Then the teams grabs on to that identity and slowly they improve. They start learning each others' tendencies. They start playing great team ball.

Then they meet the Rockets in the playoffs and win.

So this is what I hope for. This is what will keep me watching games even when it's painful to do so.

...and if there is no redemption this season... maybe it's a longer multi-season story....

Go Lakers!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Movie? This is like watching the Israelites wander in the desert with Moses (Kobe), while regaling in the great past deeds. Not sure if Kobe will get to the promised land (though he did 5 times before).
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Movie? This is like watching the Israelites wander in the desert with Moses (Kobe), while regaling in the great past deeds. Not sure if Kobe will get to the promised land (though he did 5 times before).

More like bondage in Egypt, bro.

There are no miracles here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Nah yo. Kobe took us out of Egypt in 2010 against Pharoah (Celtics). Now we just need some manna (1st or 2nd pick in the draft).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason movies are movies and not real life.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Yup. No script here.

In real life, you don't get to have the ending written for you.

But in real life, you have the ability to influence your path and create your own destiny.

...then later they make a movie about it.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Nah yo. Kobe took us out of Egypt in 2010 against Pharoah (Celtics). Now we just need some manna (1st or 2nd pick in the draft).

Actually, let's just jump ahead cause we need a resurrection story here.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yup. No script here.

But in real life, you have the ability to influence your path and create your own destiny.

Actually, I'd say in the movies you get to influence your path since, you can choose to make it a happy or unhappy ending.

In life, you can't. You can only do your best and hope that it is enough.

In our case, it will not be anywhere near enough because we were never that good to begin with. But that's ok.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In that case we need a Joshua to take over and lead us in
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yup. No script here.

Actually, I'd say in the movies you get to influence your path since, you can choose to make it a happy or unhappy ending.

The characters "living the movie" can't. That's up to the writers.

Quote:

BS

You can influence your path. Consistent work towards a goal will move you towards that goal. If you have a team, then you need the team to consistently work towards a goal together.

The part that's hard to influence is the timeline. The Lakers can consistently improve. But will it be enough improvement in one season to be a playoff team? That's debatable and will partly depend on how committed their competition is to constant improvement.

But you can almost always work harder than your opponent. Nobody gives 100% 24 hours a day, every day. So you can always do a little more than the next guy.

Quote:
In our case, it will not be anywhere near enough because we were never that good to begin with. But that's ok.

Yeah. I get it. You're a glass half empty kind of guy. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

You believe that it's a futile effort, no matter how hard they try. I believe that if they give your all, great things can happen.

But there's only one way to find out. That's for them to give their best effort and see what happens.

But they will only give their best effort if they think more like me than like you.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

cool story..
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Darko Milicic is available sign em up Mitch
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I kind of love this analogy. Randle could've been our Joshua if he didn't break his leg.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yup. No script here.

The characters "living the movie" can't. That's up to the writers.

True. But the characters living the movie .... they aren't REAL. So it doesn't translate over in to real life very well at all unfortunately.

Reflexx wrote:
Quote:

BS

You can influence your path. Consistent work towards a goal will move you towards that goal. If you have a team, then you need the team to consistently work towards a goal together.

The part that's hard to influence is the timeline. The Lakers can consistently improve. But will it be enough improvement in one season to be a playoff team? That's debatable and will partly depend on how committed their competition is to constant improvement.

But you can almost always work harder than your opponent. Nobody gives 100% 24 hours a day, every day. So you can always do a little more than the next guy.

Sure, you can influence your path to some degree. But there is only so much control over your path because your path is affected by a myriad of other variables that are completely out of your control.

That's why I say, you can do your part to the best of your ability. And the rest, well, it's not up to you.

Reflexx wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. I get it. You're a glass half empty kind of guy. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

You believe that it's a futile effort, no matter how hard they try. I believe that if they give your all, great things can happen.

But there's only one way to find out. That's for them to give their best effort and see what happens.

But they will only give their best effort if they think more like me than like you.

Nope. Not glass half empty. I'm a glass is half full AND half empty at the same time kind of guy. I don't pretend that only one thing exists, I like to look at things for what they are. Not what I want them to be (or don't want them to be).

Maybe you want to put yourself in the eyes of the player. That's not where I put myself. I put myself in the eyes of management. So maybe that's why you can choose to see puppy dogs and ice cream, but in a GM role, I have to look at the realities of the situation and not just assume every year that anything can happen if you put yo mind to it!
9-0-9
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born in Redlands,California but Reside in Houston,TX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

This isn't a movie, this is real life and I'm not going to humor you and pretend this is a Spielburg movie. Damn that. We suck, we're not building suspense. We're building nothing but frustration. We have a team full of inexperience and crazy ignorance, ala Jeremy Lin & Carlos Snoozer....
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

This is all going according to my script.

Redemption awaits!!!......... later...
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Does this movie have Kelly Divine in it?

!...
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

Can Lin and Swaggy be Joshua and Caleb?

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Does this movie have Kelly Divine in it?

No. But Kelly Clarkson sings the soundtrack.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: