OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah this is definitely the worse roster we have had sine the early 90s even when we lost shaq we got LO and Caron and we had some other decent players not to mention Kobe was at his peak, where he could basically dismantle an opposing team all by himself.

This roster stinks overall so really expectations should be moderated.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
With offensive sets that emphasize long two's and defensive rotations that allow opposing teams to get wide open 3's with their feet set, in many ways we're getting beaten by math rather than opponents.

Kobe said the same in his post game interview. he said that the 3point margin, mathematically, is just hard to overcome.

I was going to say that we all know Kobe has a better basketball mind than Byron. But it doesn't take a basketball savant to know that 3 > 2

If you read Kobe's comments closely he actually isn't lamenting that they are not taking enough threes or that too many of their shots are long two's. He's upset that they are giving up so many threes.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
With offensive sets that emphasize long two's and defensive rotations that allow opposing teams to get wide open 3's with their feet set, in many ways we're getting beaten by math rather than opponents.

Kobe said the same in his post game interview. he said that the 3point margin, mathematically, is just hard to overcome.

I was going to say that we all know Kobe has a better basketball mind than Byron. But it doesn't take a basketball savant to know that 3 > 2

If you read Kobe's comments closely he actually isn't lamenting that they are not taking enough threes or that too many of their shots are long two's. He's upset that they are giving up so many threes.

I know. But it seems that our strategy on offense is taking few threes and focusing on mid range game and that our defensive strategy doesn't emphasize taking away the three ball. This is an antiquated style of play that is possibly the result of our head coach playing in an era when teams barely shot any threes and there was a larger emphasis on the midrange game.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
You have to be pretty myopic to look at this dumpster fire of a roster and think, "Yep, the coach is bad."

You could have John Wooden, Phil Jackson and Mike Krshshshyhshsky on the bench and this would still be a bad team.

If this roster is worse than last years, it's not by much, in terms of guys that actually played.

It is a worse roster, that team had Pau Gasol. He got ripped on a lot, but you think this team couldn't use a big man who puts up 17 and 10?

Don't forget Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, Chris Kaman, Jodie Meeks, and Nick Young along with Gasol. The quality of the roster these coaches started the season with are not very close.
Trap8600
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Trap8600 wrote:
Byron Scott is a horrible coach...and its SO annoying to hear Max and Marcellus hype this guy up like he isn't a career sub .500 coach. He got hired as a PR move, former Laker...this'll buy us enough time. And he's walking around as the anti-D'Antoni. "We're not gonna shoot threes" crap...ugh. This might be a worse hire than Mike Brown. This guy is awful...and he's gonna get a pass because he's a former Laker.

I would've rather let D'Antoni play out his contract as coach. I hated the hire when it was announced, hate it more now that they've started playing.

Byron wasn't a "horrible" coach when he had Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin. He also wasn't "horrible" when he had Chris Paul and David West. Having great players always seems to make a coach look good. I think Scott Brooks is a total joke, but he has Durant and Westbrook so he looks good.

He's won 50 games as a coach twice in 13 years...maybe not HORRIBLE, but he's not a good coach in my opinion. We'd have been much better off with a new inspired choice rather than a retread. We knew what he was when we hired him, he's a mediocre coach...but they could sell the fact that he was a former Laker on the fans and they'd eat it up.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KBH wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It's actually both. Because he said that's a tough deficit to make up. So it's got to be a combination of taking (and making) more, in addition to stopping more.
echobats
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Don't blame Byron. This is a terrible roster. Mitch and company have found a way to fill it with what would be 10th men on a good team. They now have only one legimate starter. What else could be expected...they are worse than last year.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

Sorry I'm blaming Byron. Dantoni took all the blame regardless of injury or lineup change shouldn't be why different for bs. Lol at people trying to say this roster is worse than last years if anything it's the same. Kobe needs to find another team and lakers need to go full tank let young guys develop stop wasting playing time on booZer and Kobe. Get both picks this summer and build from there
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Sorry I'm blaming Byron. Dantoni took all the blame regardless of injury or lineup change shouldn't be why different for bs. Lol at people trying to say this roster is worse than last years if anything it's the same. Kobe needs to find another team and lakers need to go full tank let young guys develop stop wasting playing time on booZer and Kobe. Get both picks this summer and build from there

Well at least you're consistent! I think Byron's offensive philosophy is idiotic, assuming that it is his philosophy and he's not just being a good company man trying to put a positive face on a terribly constructed roster that can't defend or shoot 3's. So ultimately I do not blame him. Two losses by a combined 38 points is extreme, but even if this roster was brilliantly coached they'd still be losses.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Well at least you're consistent! I think Byron's offensive philosophy is idiotic, assuming that it is his philosophy and he's not just being a good company man trying to put a positive face on a terribly constructed roster that can't defend or shoot 3's. So ultimately I do not blame him. Two losses by a combined 38 points is extreme, but even if this roster was brilliantly coached they'd still be losses.

Did you blame dantoni or players when lakers lost a few games pretty badly?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

players. a coach should never be blamed for a player's effort or heart.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Fadeaway_Jumper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

I honestly don't see how anyone can blame Byron for us being blown out these past two games. We just dont have the talent to compete. When guys like Sacre and Wes Johnson(who couldn't even get minutes in minny) are playing significant time on the squad, you have no chance to win

Not even if Popvich or God came down to LA and starting coaching would things turn around. We need to fix the problems with the roster first
traveler
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: lol

Todays NBA is moving to 3's and inside scoring. If Scott is advocating less emphasis on 3's and go midrange then the game has passed him by and he needs to change that mindset or get a new coach.

The problem may be deeper though as the GM hired him should understand that the NBA is now changing and he is the one that hired Scott and get the personnel to play.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

players.

For sure at least you are consistent !! I don't blame Byron 100% because I recognize the talent level we have. I'm just frustrated I really enjoy the up and down spread the floor offense that dantoni preaches. I really felt magement wanted dantoni back but there was to much fan and media pressure wanting him out. They even supported his philosophy and vision of how basketball should be played today. I want to see to see the young guys get more minutes. I wanna see Kobe play within an offense not the offense play through him it's not as fun to watch anymore.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

I was never a fan of getting B Scott, i wanted Hollins to coach this team. That being said, I don't really think the team is very bad, the issue is match ups. Scott needs to realize starting Boozer and Hill is a NO NO NO. Davis needs to start along either of those guys. That Davis/Hill combo could be lethal. Hill/Boozer just too undersized. Boozer doesn't box out, doesn't rebound, defend, all he does is flex his muscle looking all sexy and yelling after every basket
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
You can't fault Byron for the lack of talent. That falls with Mitch. We look bad out there, because Kobe and Boozer are the only real offensive threats. You guys act like POP could make this injury riddled team contenders...

Even less talented players deserve a semi-modern offensive system.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
petergr wrote:
Well that did not take too long. I told this many times...its not the coaches...its the eat first contracts.

FWIW...MDA is an above average NBA coach...BS is at the bottom of the pile.

really.....how can you blame this on the coach or kobe......look at the front office....they put the d league on the floor. this talent is not even nba ready. this is an embarrassment and if ms Jeannie buss doesn't fire jim and mitch kupchek tonight.....there is no future for the lakers.

By having even a basic understanding of how teams in the NBA play offense and defense.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

Last year we had Gasol, who is easily better than any player we have on the team outside of Kobe, meeks had a very solid season last year as well, he started the season with Blake also a capable player, famar, swaggy P overall I am not sure how you can look at this roster and say it was equal to what MDA had in yr 1 or 2
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
"It's what Father (Doc Buss) would have wanted"

Every game I watch this year, I am going to hear that ringing in my head.

father was smart enough to let shaq go & would have done the same with kobe.

kids on the other hand?? SMH

Jerry didn't let Shaq go, Shaq let Shaq go. Jerry tried extending him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
petergr wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Did he not complain about D'Antoni's reliance on 3s?
There's a happy compromise there. You don't need 4 guys standing behind the 3 point line like MDA. But 1 is not enough You need 2-3 guys behind there to space the floor. If you're taking an outside shot and 1 foot is the difference between 3 pts and 2 pts... go for 3 pts ffs. Don't need to be a genius.

Worst part is that since our offense is averse to 3s... guys don't defend 3s in practice lol.

Yep, when you get outscored by 32 from the 3 point line due to the construction of your offense you aren't going to win many games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
It's not looking good right now, but MDA, without question, had a better roster.

People just love to put down Pau, but the guy was an anchor (specifically with his low-post scoring and rebounding), and prevented us from being even worse than we should have been. Also, guys like Farmar and Blake are quality players. I said when we got Lin that I didn't think that he would be better than either of them. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I thought and said at the time. You also have to look at someone like Meeks, who was so deadly from beyond the arc, as well as an improved defender, and driver to the rim.

This team just isn't as good as last years.

We have Kobe Bryant. Last year's team did not. Steve Blake played the best basketball of his career under Mike D'Antoni. He was traded, and very ineffective in Golden State. Jeremy Lin, played his best basketball under MDA.

To give you something more concrete, Jeremy Lin averaged about 12.05 drives to the basket per 48 minutes last year. That's one drive to the basket for every 4 minutes he played. He hasn't come anywhere close to that yet because the spacing doesn't allow for it.

Exactly, how can you drive to the basket when there are 4 other offensive players and 5 defenders all within 15-18 feet of the basket?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kobee 2.0 needs to go to Kobee 3.0 based on how much he's changed his views after 2 games.

Preseason: I think...the Lakers...are just hiding.. their real offense... So they can shock the world...come regular season.

Regular season: blow up the team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
I think Byron is Doc Rivers without the talented roster. He's a leader and can inspire players, assuming they think they have a chance. Doc Rivers wouldn't do any better with this team. Byron coaching the Flippers wouldn't do any worse than Doc.

I disagree, Byron would hamper the Clippers because of his X's and O's. They are just poorly designed systems for the way the NBA is played today. GT said it best before Byron was ever hired, Scott did well when he had good assistants running the X's and O's. On his own, not so much.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
You have to be pretty myopic to look at this dumpster fire of a roster and think, "Yep, the coach is bad."

You could have John Wooden, Phil Jackson and Mike Krshshshyhshsky on the bench and this would still be a bad team.

If this roster is worse than last years, it's not by much, in terms of guys that actually played.

It is a worse roster, that team had Pau Gasol. He got ripped on a lot, but you think this team couldn't use a big man who puts up 17 and 10?

This year's roster has Kobe Bryant. Lin is also more talented than any pg we had last year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Don't forget Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, Chris Kaman, Jodie Meeks, and Nick Young along with Gasol. The quality of the roster these coaches started the season with are not very close.

Nice disclaimer there, we know that what MDA started with was nowhere near what he had throughout the season. Pretty disingenious comment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 20 of 694
Jump to: