View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
C-.

Some of the cast choices were poor, movie was too long, relatively weak story, definitely lost interest in it in the last 30-45 minutes.

I'm beginning to think that I just don't care for Singer's work because I don't think much of X-Men 1 or 2 either.

I agree with this 100%. The movie did drag on at certain points.

oh yeah? Have you seen a little movie called "The Usual Suspects"? Hahaha... he says, "Yes I saw that piece of crap and hated it. Screw Singer and his stupid movies."

Why did someone respond with a puking a guy when I mentioned Tim Burton. He was originally signed to direct Superman, but backed out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

the actor who played Superman dragged the movie several levels down...he just doesn't look "super"...he looked geeky even with the tights on - didn't even look like a man, looked like a teenage kid out of high school....although I guess Christopher Reeves might just be too tough an act to follow. Good movie though.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
oh yeah? Have you seen a little movie called "The Usual Suspects"? Hahaha... he says, "Yes I saw that piece of crap and hated it. Screw Singer and his stupid movies."

No, I'm aware that Singer is reponsible for The Usual Suspects, which I do like very much. I should have specified that I don't care for any of his comic book movies.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
the actor who played Superman dragged the movie several levels down...he just doesn't look "super"...he looked geeky even with the tights on - didn't even look like a man, looked like a teenage kid out of high school....although I guess Christopher Reeves might just be too tough an act to follow. Good movie though.

Dude it was the guys first movie ever, he did an awesome job for that... however overall I didn't like the movie all that much... what that guy did was pretty solid... that was a tough act to follow... especially for your first time acting.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
My personal rankings, generally subject to change:

(1) Superman
-- Even though the bad guys are played for laughs, this is still the grandest, most epic portrayal of the superhero as myth you can see. Christopher Reeve was and forever will be da MAN.

(2) Batman Begins
-- Gaining on #1. FINALLY, a Batman movie about Bruce Wayne/ Batman, and not the flavor of the month as a bad guy. Drama and heightened realism by the ton. Origin that makes you cry. Awesome car. Stellar cast.

(3) Spiderman II
-- Angst, action, romance, getup-and-cheer moments. Best comic book fight scenes ever, even if Spidey stopping the L train defies even comic-book physics.

(4) Superman II
-- One of the best comic book fights EVER, but where the heck do Supes and Lois get a freaking Ford Mustang at the North Pole? Too much slapstick and silly British humor to take the crown.

(5) Spiderman I
-- Only hurt by inconsistent effects, occasionally hammy dialogue, a Power Ranger villain costume, and Macy Gray at a conveniently fancy public party. Otherwise, thrilling and emotionally moving. A tear-jerker origin.

(6) Superman Returns
-- Singer's best comic-book film, but still a bit schizophrenic in style and tone and pace. The film is better if you love the classics, but it doesn't stand on its own very well. Transition film.

(7) X2
-- ALMOST a true epic of the genre, but not all the way there. Another cliche death-ray at the end, and no love for Cyclops or Professor X. A collection of great scenes, but not a big, sweeping story.

(8) X-Men
-- All scenes, no story. A big cliche of having a big death ray at the end and another convenient black-tie party with foreign dignitaries.

(9) Daredevil: Director's Cut
-- Forget the theatrical version. Good work by Affleck, Garner, and Farrell. Unfortuantely, the director is not proficient or bold enough to make a consistent film; he can't decide whether to make it gritty or a fantasy.

(10) Batman
-- This isn't a comic book movie. This is a Tim Burton project. There is a difference. A heckuva cinematic vision, but not a truly character-driven tale. All mood, no spirit. Batman Begins in a landslide.

MIM

Honorable mention:

SIN CITY -- No way you're taking kids to this one without getting arrested for suspicion of child abuse. Ultra-violent, but incredibly well-made. Gritty, slick-styled, sexy, viscerally intense. Great stuff.

Superman III -- One scene only: the Clark Kent-Superman fight. You read that right. Maybe the only true bit of art in a campy comic book movie.

Chasing Amy -- Not a comic book movie, but a movie at a comic-con. Want to know whether you'll like it or not? Three words: "What's a nubian?"

Fantastic Four -- Jessica Alba becoming visible again at an awkward moment. Gotta take it where you can get it, comic book geeks.
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

LABigBoi wrote:
Everybody has their own opinion, and here's mine. Superman Returns was DOPE. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting a plot that rivals Pulp Fiction, it's a comic book movie. And for a comic book movie, it was amazing.
Oh man i soo agree with you dude... Sure it lacks action and ish but DAMN I have a new found love for Superman, w00tw00t!!!

Tho i will say Spider Man 1-... >> Superman!!
I enjoyed it a lot tho... LOVED IT!!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
My personal rankings, generally subject to change:

(1) Superman
-- Even though the bad guys are played for laughs, this is still the grandest, most epic portrayal of the superhero as myth you can see. Christopher Reeve was and forever will be da MAN.

(2) Batman Begins
-- Gaining on #1. FINALLY, a Batman movie about Bruce Wayne/ Batman, and not the flavor of the month as a bad guy. Drama and heightened realism by the ton. Origin that makes you cry. Awesome car. Stellar cast.

(3) Spiderman II
-- Angst, action, romance, getup-and-cheer moments. Best comic book fight scenes ever, even if Spidey stopping the L train defies even comic-book physics.

(4) Superman II
-- One of the best comic book fights EVER, but where the heck do Supes and Lois get a freaking Ford Mustang at the North Pole? Too much slapstick and silly British humor to take the crown.

(5) Spiderman I
-- Only hurt by inconsistent effects, occasionally hammy dialogue, a Power Ranger villain costume, and Macy Gray at a conveniently fancy public party. Otherwise, thrilling and emotionally moving. A tear-jerker origin.

(6) Superman Returns
-- Singer's best comic-book film, but still a bit schizophrenic in style and tone and pace. The film is better if you love the classics, but it doesn't stand on its own very well. Transition film.

(7) X2
-- ALMOST a true epic of the genre, but not all the way there. Another cliche death-ray at the end, and no love for Cyclops or Professor X. A collection of great scenes, but not a big, sweeping story.

(8) X-Men
-- All scenes, no story. A big cliche of having a big death ray at the end and another convenient black-tie party with foreign dignitaries.

(9) Daredevil: Director's Cut
-- Forget the theatrical version. Good work by Affleck, Garner, and Farrell. Unfortuantely, the director is not proficient or bold enough to make a consistent film; he can't decide whether to make it gritty or a fantasy.

(10) Batman
-- This isn't a comic book movie. This is a Tim Burton project. There is a difference. A heckuva cinematic vision, but not a truly character-driven tale. All mood, no spirit. Batman Begins in a landslide.

MIM

Honorable mention:

SIN CITY -- No way you're taking kids to this one without getting arrested for suspicion of child abuse. Ultra-violent, but incredibly well-made. Gritty, slick-styled, sexy, viscerally intense. Great stuff.

Superman III -- One scene only: the Clark Kent-Superman fight. You read that right. Maybe the only true bit of art in a campy comic book movie.

Chasing Amy -- Not a comic book movie, but a movie at a comic-con. Want to know whether you'll like it or not? Three words: "What's a nubian?"

Fantastic Four -- Jessica Alba becoming visible again at an awkward moment. Gotta take it where you can get it, comic book geeks.

I think Sin CIty is better than all of the comic book movies (maybe besides Batman Begins) but I really don't consider it a "comic". It's a graphic novel. In that case, Road to Perdition should be considered a comic book movie, and that's one of my favorite movies of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: