SPURS -at- LAKERS - 11-14-14 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! The offense was definitely grinding its gears. Kobe looked like he had a case of the flu or something similar. So he had no energy and found out he no longer can recover enough to be effective. He wasn't able to be that person we always rely on to tough out an ugly game for a win.

Scott has plenty of film in this game to show how not to do things (Lakers) and how to run an offense effectively (Spurs).
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

Jonathan1212 wrote:
LinKobe wrote:
We are just too predictable on offense and that's on BS to get more plays and change from his current scheme. It just isn't working and he's got to find a more efficient way to maximize the talents available to him. I know the roster depth isn't great but they aren't as bad as we having been showing imo.

its beyond predictable.

lin slowly dribbles up to half court... which of course totally negates all those transition, fast paced fast breaks and easy buckets he used to get with his speed. No.... no one runs the court on this team. maybe Randle would have, but he broke his @#$% leg!

Then Lin stares at the defending point guard and dribbles for a second. No one else on the team does anything. No one cuts or rotates. No one sets a pick. lin just stands there dribbling, even though the paint is PACKED.

lin dribbles to the side. Jordan Hill runs out to the top of the key. lin passes him the ball.

The defense falls away from Jordan hill, giving him as much space as possible so he will shoot a long two, effectively taking a very low percentage shot while they can conserve all of their energy and focus on rebounding, cause since no has to bother to defend them, they can pack the paint, box everyone else out and make sure they get the inevitable rebound.

Hill stands there totally open. No one else does anything. Sometimes he chucks it up. Sometimes he passes it off to Lin, who circles back.

If lin gets it back. He dribbles at the top of the key. No one else moves. No picks are set. lin slowly walk it to the side and passes to either Kobe or Booz.

At this point, any semblance of coaching is gone. Its just Iso. Kobe now either chucks up a contested shot while being double teamed. Or Booz does some work in the post.

Wes stands in the corner and focuses on being wild Wes.

Every once in awhile, someone sets a pick for lin. He drives into the paint. If its packed he passes it back to Jordan hill, who misses a jumper. If its not he takes a contested layup, somehow almost never getting a foul call.

once a game lin pulls up and nails a long two. but he is careful to only do this once a game for some reason.

Every once in a while Wes, Kobe, Price, Lin, Kelly, (insert player here) randomly shoots a three. Once in awhile Ed Davis spins to the basket. And once in a blue moon, Davis, Booz, or hill gets a putback.

fast break layups? Kobe, Lin, Clarkson get one every once in awhile. X and Wes Johnson appear incapable of doing this. routinely fumbling away the ball on breaks, literally falling down, or just flat out missing layups.

I think I actually covered the entire offense.

the point about "fast break" is it is pointless for the PG or anyone else to run the court if no one else runs the court. on several occasions, Lin tries the fast break and ends up passing all the Lakers and have to stop and wait for the team to get up the court.

Hill needs to play big but he makes himself smaller by wanting to shoot the jumper instead of rolling to the basket. Davis is shorter than Hill but plays bigger because he rolls to the basket. You wish you had a guy who is a combination of both - one who knows when to roll to the basket and when to stay outside.

The Spurs were taking the paint away from Lin/Kobe which means their bigs are not staying with the pick guy which means the big at the key is always open for the jumpshot. yet only Davis will roll to the basket. the other issue is that without a stretch 4 it is hard but not impossible to clear the lane. you use hill for PNR and boozer and his man is clogging the lane.

we also forget that Ellington is out. He might not be a major contributor but everyone knows he can shoot. Clarkson is a rookie and Kelly is coming back from injury and Kobe shooting now less than .300 so the floor isn't spread enough by conventional 1-2-3 players.

The makeup of this team is all wrong. In order for Scott's offense to work, you need a primetime post player. someone you can dump the ball in. you need defense because you play at a slower pace and inside the arc. you can't force the players you have fit your system, you have to design your system to the players you have or go get the players that fit. just look at the spurs. Duncan being there for 17 years you've got your post. you've got your point guard in Parker and you have Ginobili. You fill in your center with those who rebound, play defense, and can shoot the jumper. It doesn't matter who. You have wings who defend and can shoot (bonus Green is a big time shooter and Leonard is becoming a go-to guy). your bench you get similar players Mills/Joseph players who play similar to Parker so the system doesn't change. You slide Duncan to the C position only to bring in Diaw who gives you the same stretch as Bonner. Splitter is injured so there's Baynes. The spurs get the right players for their style of play. also, Parker the PG only averages 5.3 apg. That's because the WHOLE team passes the ball. You can get away with a scoring point if you have a good system and players who passes the ball.

SO the Lakers and their fans have to give this season a pass if you expect Scott to be around for many years and he has to push to get the right pieces to fit his system OR Scott has to change the game plan and come up with something that fits this team better.
lemondrop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Thank you for doing this.

I keep wondering how one gets through writing all this down after having had to watch that whole game.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the summary DB. Missed the game.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Bright side: Spurs are the defending NBA champs. They do this to teams when they are dialed in.

Can't get any worse that this. Just a bad night against a great team who know how to buckled down when it matters.
LIN17
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Jonathan1212 wrote:
LinKobe wrote:
We are just too predictable on offense and that's on BS to get more plays and change from his current scheme. It just isn't working and he's got to find a more efficient way to maximize the talents available to him. I know the roster depth isn't great but they aren't as bad as we having been showing imo.

its beyond predictable.

lin slowly dribbles up to half court... which of course totally negates all those transition, fast paced fast breaks and easy buckets he used to get with his speed. No.... no one runs the court on this team. maybe Randle would have, but he broke his @#$% leg!

Then Lin stares at the defending point guard and dribbles for a second. No one else on the team does anything. No one cuts or rotates. No one sets a pick. lin just stands there dribbling, even though the paint is PACKED.

lin dribbles to the side. Jordan Hill runs out to the top of the key. lin passes him the ball.

The defense falls away from Jordan hill, giving him as much space as possible so he will shoot a long two, effectively taking a very low percentage shot while they can conserve all of their energy and focus on rebounding, cause since no has to bother to defend them, they can pack the paint, box everyone else out and make sure they get the inevitable rebound.

Hill stands there totally open. No one else does anything. Sometimes he chucks it up. Sometimes he passes it off to Lin, who circles back.

If lin gets it back. He dribbles at the top of the key. No one else moves. No picks are set. lin slowly walk it to the side and passes to either Kobe or Booz.

At this point, any semblance of coaching is gone. Its just Iso. Kobe now either chucks up a contested shot while being double teamed. Or Booz does some work in the post.

Wes stands in the corner and focuses on being wild Wes.

Every once in awhile, someone sets a pick for lin. He drives into the paint. If its packed he passes it back to Jordan hill, who misses a jumper. If its not he takes a contested layup, somehow almost never getting a foul call.

once a game lin pulls up and nails a long two. but he is careful to only do this once a game for some reason.

Every once in a while Wes, Kobe, Price, Lin, Kelly, (insert player here) randomly shoots a three. Once in awhile Ed Davis spins to the basket. And once in a blue moon, Davis, Booz, or hill gets a putback.

fast break layups? Kobe, Lin, Clarkson get one every once in awhile. X and Wes Johnson appear incapable of doing this. routinely fumbling away the ball on breaks, literally falling down, or just flat out missing layups.

I think I actually covered the entire offense.

LOL so spot on. I wish the team and coach can read this so they can make some adjustments. The offense is horrible but the defense is actually improving and is ok until they run out of gas in the 4th qtr.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Watching the Lakers this season makes me appreciate how beautiful ball movement is from teams like the Spurs, Warriors and even the Suns. They pass the ball around without hesitation until they get a good look. The only good looks that we get are from PnRs once in a while, never from nice flowing ball movement lol.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Thanks DB! The offense was definitely grinding its gears. Kobe looked like he had a case of the flu or something similar. So he had no energy and found out he no longer can recover enough to be effective. He wasn't able to be that person we always rely on to tough out an ugly game for a win.

Scott has plenty of film in this game to show how not to do things (Lakers) and how to run an offense effectively (Spurs).

I watched his post game interview. He looks like he has the flu or viral meningitis as we have seen multiple cases of it lately. I wouldn't be surprised. He definitely was as tired and ill appearing as I've ever seen him.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
Watching the Lakers this season makes me appreciate how beautiful ball movement is from teams like the Spurs, Warriors and even the Suns. They pass the ball around without hesitation until they get a good look. The only good looks that we get are from PnRs once in a while, never from nice flowing ball movement lol.

I remember when we moved the ball as well. Back during the 2008-2010 years, George Karl called us the best passing team in the league. But that was when we had real players. Not a bunch of D leaguers. Jesus, they make me long for Luke Walton.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: