Best C prospect 2015 Draft: Towns or Okafor? (& others)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

IF Okafor was drafted, he'd be effective and produce like the stereotypical centers of old. Only issue is can he successfully protect rim, defend and grab boards sufficiently because Randle may not be that guy. And can they coexist together?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

legend825 wrote:
IF Okafor was drafted, he'd be effective and produce like the stereotypical centers of old. Only issue is can he successfully protect rim, defend and grab boards sufficiently because Randle may not be that guy. And can they coexist together?

Do they have to coexist together?

Don't get me wrong, I love Randle, but the Lakers are in need of talent at every position.

I'd rather stack the talent, regardless of position, and explore fit or trades later.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Okafor is the closest thing to Tim Duncan since TD came out of Wake Forest.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Okafor has the huge hands, good feet, and feel for the game that you can't teach. At such a young age, he already understands how to play out of doubles and how to repost - something that most NBA centers don't even understand. He has a solid base and he doesn't change ends like an old man like Bynum and Oden did. In tonight's game he drilled a face up 10-12 footer and has a good stroke from the line so I'm not sure the concerns about his game outside the paint are warranted.

His competition was poor so there's no way to judge his defense one way or the other.

I haven't seen enough of Towns to comment on him yet.

But Okafor looks like an absolute stud.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Okafor made good adjustments at the FT line already. Shot looks good. I don't know if he can extend his range out to 18' comfortably, but 15'? I'd trust it.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

Yea I'm sold on okafor as the number 1 in this draft. Mudiay looked pedestrian inthe games I've watched this season. Okafor can really get up and down for a big guy. He hasn't looked dominant at all but he's been solid. I expect to see duke in the final 4 this year
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

Btw I think okafor and randle can coexist as long as randle continues to develop his jumper
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

Is it time to bring kareem back ?
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

You take Okafor if you think he's going to be the best guy regardless of Randle.

I'm not going to base a pick on an injured rookie's potential and who he may or may not play well with. If Okafor turns into a 20/10 guy who can stay healthy it's worth more than two mediocre big men. On the flip side, there is also a chance that Randle and Okafor can both flourish next to each other. Don't see why they can't learn to play with one another. Both have high basketball IQ and both are still young. If you are concerned about defense add guys that can defend who are vets. A few years ago Deandre Jordan wasn't the defender he was now and Blake was a borderline liability and they did okay with guys like Evans and Kenyon Martin coming off the bench.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

Towns is still looking like the better player potential wise to me. Anybody know about the psyche of each?

Towns seems like he has that desire to learn and get better. Almost a kid like personality (not in a bad way)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I would say Town now, but everything could change during the college season.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Towns is still looking like the better player potential wise to me. Anybody know about the psyche of each?

Towns seems like he has that desire to learn and get better. Almost a kid like personality (not in a bad way)

Okafor has the intangible edge, based on his FIBA experience and how he has handled the hype since he was in HS.

He wasn't touted like LeBron James, but you hear absolutely nothing but raving reviews from his camp.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

Anthony Davis.

As far as Towns goes, he does have FIBA experience as well, he went up against Anthony Davis back on that Team USA year back when he(Towns) was 17, was the exhibition game Davis hit that 3.

And as far as their first performances go, Okafor looks better. But its only 2 games in.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

Okafor has the intangible edge, based on his FIBA experience and how he has handled the hype since he was in HS.

He wasn't touted like LeBron James, but you hear absolutely nothing but raving reviews from his camp.

MJST wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

Anthony Davis.

As far as Towns goes, he does have FIBA experience as well, he went up against Anthony Davis back on that Team USA year back when he(Towns) was 17, was the exhibition game Davis hit that 3.

And as far as their first performances go, Okafor looks better. But its only 2 games in.

Thanks fellas. Please tell me there is a Kentucky/Duke game scheduled this year! I'd love to see a heads up matchup
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Okafor is NOT Anthony Davis.

Anthony Davis was a 6'2" point guard in high school before his massive growth spurt.

He's essentially a 7'1" guard out there. Watch his game. Everything is face up, drive, or jumpshot.

Okafor is the polar opposite. Always been big, lacks guard skills, always a paint player, definitive moves in the post.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

MJST wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

Anthony Davis.

Thanks fellas. Please tell me there is a Kentucky/Duke game scheduled this year! I'd love to see a heads up matchup

Not in the regular season. But it Would be an epic test for Okafor going against 4 legit big men.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

towns is taller but okafor has a higher standing reach, a longer wingspan and bigger hands. he seems to take his shots as close to the rim as possible instead of being a part of the lamarcus aldridge school of post-moves-vs-air-12-feet-from-the-rim.

not totally cold on towns tho. i'm gonna wait until the entire cbb season/tourney is over and use the sum of the tape/stats before i form a final opinion on either
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Last night they both looked like solid NBA prospects. And I see Kawhi Leonard in Justise Winslow.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Last night they both looked like solid NBA prospects. And I see Kawhi Leonard in Justise Winslow.

extremely small sample size and the numbers aren't super impressive but i like justise winslow so far. play style (and physically) he seems more jimmy butler/iguodala than kawhi tho. there is nobody close to kawhi physically. which is why the lakers should go after the real thing. pls mitch and jim pls pls
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Since my grad school days at Duke from 09-11, I have been watching Duke closely for years now and been pretty good in projecting the Duke players into the NBA (for the record, I thought Nolan Smith wouldn't make it, Singler would be a solid rotation guy, Irving would be a star, Rivers a bust, Mason a solid big, Jabari a star...) I have to say that both Okafor and Justise Winslow are going to be studs. Also, if a team needing a PG picks Quinn Cook up as a UDFA or late 2nd rounder, he is going to make your team - he will be a great backup PG.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

I noted this, but no one said anything since I was in the hospital with my fiancee I couldn't say anything but Towns has had fiba experience since he was 15 playing with his national team. He has had less hype due to his parents choosing him not to play AAU and rather working with a private coach so people hadn't seen him as much. He only played the top 100 camps but not the circuits. Great kid, who after he is done playing wants to be a doctor. Intangibles are a push then?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Good points Justwar
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm not totally convinced of Winslow just yet.

I can't stand the ball-handling. Love the D, motor, and court awareness. But, even a consistent jumpshot just makes him two-dimensional on offense.

Bigger Alec Burks? James Posey?

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Tuner has impressed me the most at C on both ends.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'm not totally convinced of Winslow just yet.

I can't stand the ball-handling. Love the D, motor, and court awareness. But, even a consistent jumpshot just makes him two-dimensional on offense.

Bigger Alec Burks? James Posey?

not every wing out there is gonna be lebron. i think the basic one-man-fast-break stuff he shows in the second vine in this article is good enough(for this point in his freshman year).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24833646/surprisingly-its-justise-winslow-not-jahlil-okfar-whos-been-dukes-best-freshman

if he improves it by the end of the season, even better
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: