Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

Did anyone catch this on HBO? The first episode was really interesting and entertaining. The premise is that the ban will visit various studios around the country and record one song for their new album at each one. The first one was in Washington DC, near where Dave Grohl grew up. It concentrated on the punk movement and some local R&B. I look forward to seeing the next episode.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

venturalakersfan wrote:
Did anyone catch this on HBO? The first episode was really interesting and entertaining. The premise is that the ban will visit various studios around the country and record one song for their new album at each one. The first one was in Washington DC, near where Dave Grohl grew up. It concentrated on the punk movement and some local R&B. I look forward to seeing the next episode.

Actually, D.C. was the second one. The first was on Chicago and it was really really freakin' good.

Great series so far.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Actually, D.C. was the second one. The first was on Chicago and it was really really freakin' good.

Great series so far.

Actually, the Chicago one was the second one recorded. The first one was recorded in the studio in my basement. Release has been delayed due to technical reasons. You'll love it though. It's Jazz.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Great series so far.

Dang, missed one. I checked on demand but the series isn't on it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Great series so far.

If you have HBO, you can use HBO GO to watch it. You should really try and catch that one if you can. Like I said it is really good. Really diverse discussion of the Chicago scene with a large chunk on Steve Albini and his studio. Rick Nielson is also in it, which was really cool.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Great concept and execution. I like Foo Fighters even though they have a tendency toward a pretty repetitive sound, but Dave Grohl is a master at promotion. The last doc about them was great too.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Back in May I took a vacation to New Orleans. The first day I was there I was walking down Bourbon taking photos. As I was walking, the Preservatuon Hall Jazz Band was making their way down the street playing music. It wasn't until I got back home and looked through my photos that I realized the guy playing guitar with them was Dave Grohl. I don't remember an elaborate film crew, but I wonder if that will appear on this show or if it was just an impromptu thing.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Back in May I took a vacation to New Orleans. The first day I was there I was walking down Bourbon taking photos. As I was walking, the Preservatuon Hall Jazz Band was making their way down the street playing music. It wasn't until I got back home and looked through my photos that I realized the guy playing guitar with them was Dave Grohl. I don't remember an elaborate film crew, but I wonder if that will appear on this show or if it was just an impromptu thing.

That was cool. I love the Foos.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I loved the Sound City documentary which Dave Grohl put together.

I like the Foo Fighters as a band but don't love them, but Grohl is basically the master now of Palladia and media promotion and seems like a cool guy.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

The Nashville episode was great. It was the first one that didn't focus on the band members' personal attachment to the sound of the city, mainly because they weren't really influenced by country.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

One of my favorite live show memories was back in 2001, a few days after 9/11.

House of Blues on the Sunset Strip to see Gov't Mule. For one of the encores,

Dave came out and jammed "Rockin' in the Free World" with the band.

I still get chills when I think of that moment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Great series so far.

If you have HBO, you can use HBO GO to watch it. You should really try and catch that one if you can. Like I said it is really good. Really diverse discussion of the Chicago scene with a large chunk on Steve Albini and his studio. Rick Nielson is also in it, which was really cool.

Thanks for the tip, I signed up to HBO Go and caught that episode last night. Funny that if you asked me who my first introduction to punk was I could never remember, but watching that episode, I now know it was Naked Raygun, I saw them when I was in college.

The Nashville episode was my favorite, growing up in Illinois country and rock were the basis of what I listened to. I loved the Doors and I loved George Jones. The local FM station was the same way, they played country from sign on until 7 pm, then rock from then to sign off. I agree with the comment about today's country music being pop music, I can't stand much of it. I love Zac Brown, and Blake Shelton is still pretty authentic country, but I will pass on the rest. I remember the CMAs when Dave jammed with the Zac Brown Band, I had no idea that they were filming for this series. And of all the Foo songs so far, Congregation is my favorite.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject:

Best episode of the season thus far tonight. Austin. Willie Nelson, johnny cash, Steve Earle, 13th floor elevators.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Sounds awesome. Love me some Warren Haynes and Grohl is maybe the best of his generation. Bet that just blew the roof off the place. Color me jealous.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highway

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Great series so far.

Actually, the Chicago one was the second one recorded. The first one was recorded in the studio in my basement. Release has been delayed due to technical reasons. You'll love it though. It's Jazz.

Whose basement???
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Sounds awesome. Love me some Warren Haynes and Grohl is maybe the best of his generation. Bet that just blew the roof off the place. Color me jealous.

Yeah, the moment everyone heard that opening riff, the place went nuts. And then when they got to the chorus everyone was screaming out the lyrics . . . it was pretty intense.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Finally caught up on the series.

24 is right. The Austin episode was extremely good. It brought back memories of what the "Austin City Limits" show over the years. But I also have a soft spot for this last LA/Joshua Tree episode because so much of it resonates personally.

Plus, Emmylou Harris's reappearance in that episode was a great reminder of how amazingly that woman has aged. She's always been a gorgeous woman, and is getting more so as time goes by.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: