*OFFICIAL* 2015 NBA Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike, I know you're not big on Stanley Johnson, and I'd tend to agree with you that he's probably not a no.1 player by any stretch, but if he can develop into an Artest type (great D player, good enough to be a no.3 on offense,) is that really that bad of a get, even at the top of a draft?

Hell no. Johnson is nothing like Artest. He's an overrated Mater Dei player and doesn't like to play defense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I guess Caris Levert had a great game yesterday.

I really don't think Mudiay will be the guy for us if we have our pick. There will be someone else more worthy of taking a risk on.

I would have the two bigs ahead of him and probably Justise Winslow as well.

I have Winslow behind Levert. PF skills in a SG body.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike, I know you're not big on Stanley Johnson, and I'd tend to agree with you that he's probably not a no.1 player by any stretch, but if he can develop into an Artest type (great D player, good enough to be a no.3 on offense,) is that really that bad of a get, even at the top of a draft?

When looking for the best player available, the top of the draft tends to go to the best overall players/shot creators.

The bottom of it goes to the role players.

Honestly, I would hope Stanley Johnson stays in college. It did wonders for Solomon Hill, who is the stud coming out off the Pacers bench this year.

Stanley Johnson could be a better version of Artest. He's more explosive with the basketball and in transition. The half-court setting is more of an issue. He likes to settle with the jumpshot. He's not really dynamic with his footwork to change directions on the fly. He has the tools to be a great defender, but he isn't.

All of that screams two-way role player to me. It's like watching James Posey or Corey Brewer out there. Brewer had a 3pt. shot out of Florida, and lost it. Posey developed his in the NBA. Posey became a strong man-defender. Brewer forces turnovers.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:

I have to say that Mudiay's high dribble makes me cringe. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he will be an nba caliber pg. I could see him being taken off the ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
I have to say that Mudiay's high dribble makes me cringe. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he will be an nba caliber pg. I could see him being taken off the ball.

I'm getting flashbacks of Tyreke Evans with Mudiay.

I'm still hell bent on getting a center in this draft.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Just to follow up on Delon Wright who is the guy I want with the Houston pick (breakdown here)

MJST wrote:
Being that we have Houston's pick and our pick is going to be somewhere in the late teens or early 20s most likely.

If you're looking for a 'point guard' that's a passer as well as skilled, I'd strongly recommend Delon Wright. He'll come into his 2nd year of college this year. His first year he averaged 15.5p/6.8r/5.3a/2.5stls/1.3blks a game his first year, and shot 56% from the field(63% on 2 pointers) and that was in his first year. He has very sneaky quicks and a lightning fast first step. He has a very smooth, controlled and paced game, not too high not too low, has patience to wait to turn on the jets instead of having them on all the time. That's why I called his quicks sneaky because he doesn't seem quick till he shows it and when he shows it he's left the top of the key where he was defended at the rim already.

Flown under the radar for the most part and will likely get more attention this year. Dropped 23/12/6 on Fresno State at 75% shooting, 14/7/6 at 60% shooting on OregonSt, 27/11/9 on 58% shooting on Washington, 22/6/5/6steals as well as 20/9/5 on USC, 19/6/4 on Arizona, 17/11/7 on Colorado, 22/9/6 on ArizSt in 100% shooting. So he's got a lot of talent and he's flown under the radar a bit which is why he's going to hopefully be within our range unless he impresses more this year in his 2nd year and moves up. If he stays under the radar he could fall to the Lakers.

You may want to check him out. If Clarkson is a scoring point guard/shooting guard/combo guard, Wright is more of a pure point and both of them could be used effectively with each other or playing next to each other.

Just worth taking a look at. Particularly in the eve of Steve Nash's retirement.

1:04 to see him use his first step.

He's also from Los Angeles but that's beside the point =P I'm sure the Lakers have an eye on him but just in case some of you guys haven't seen him. He's also realistically gonna be within our range with Houston's pick. To me he'd be the best under the radar one we could make. If he plays like he played last year he's likely in the lottery though but if he stays under the radar he's a definite guy the Lakers should go after. He's a point guard built for what Byron Scott wants to run.

Delon Wright had a good game in his debut, putting up 13p/4r/8a/3blk/4stls

The unfortunate thing is, if he keeps playing like this he won't be as under the radar to fall to us with Houston's pick. I want him to play the best he can though regardless I just hope he falls to us in the draft.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The unfortunate thing is, if he keeps playing like this he won't be as under the radar to fall to us with Houston's pick. I want him to play the best he can though regardless I just hope he falls to us in the draft.

couldn't the houston pick technically be as high as 15th overall?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

In case we don't get the number 1 overall, I hope Mudiay stays overhyped and some team picks him. This draft is about the big men
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
MJST wrote:

no anything below 22 is a pipe dream pretty much. and if they stay in the top 3 in the West, it'll be 25 or up
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
MJST wrote:

If they fell to the 8th seed it'd be just outside of the lottery.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see what Philly does if given the #1 pick. Do they go big 3 years in a row?
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what Philly does if given the #1 pick. Do they go big 3 years in a row?

I think they will pick the best player with the #1 pick. From what I've seen so far Okafor is at the top. I'm thinking they pick Okafor because they can always wheel and deal their other big men if necessary for more picks or a young up & coming studs.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

I think they will pick the best player with the #1 pick. From what I've seen so far Okafor is at the top. I'm thinking they pick Okafor because they can always wheel and deal their other big men if necessary for more picks or a young up & coming studs.

I don't know how much other teams would offer them for Embiid or Noel as they have both been seriously injured.

I think they draft Mudiay if he is available and move MCW.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

I don't know how much other teams would offer them for Embiid or Noel as they have both been seriously injured.

I think they draft Mudiay if he is available and move MCW.

I think that runs counter to the Morey/Hinkie model of acquiring as many assets as possible. If Okafor is the more valuable asset they will draft him and figure out what to do with everyone else as appropriate.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I have no clue why Philly would draft 3 back to back to back centers.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Because they are god awful and need as much talent as they can regardless of the position. If one of them turns out to be a superstar they can trade the others easily, young bigs with promise are an unbelievably rare commodity, especially on rookie scale contracts.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Even if the 76ers finish with the worst record, I'm banking that the NBA will not reward them with the #1 pick for purposely tanking. Which gives us hope. A small one.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

imo Justise Winslow is the best fit for this current Lakers team if it came down to it. Defensive three, athletic, not afraid of contract, slasher, worked on his jumper, bully.

Perfect fit next to Randle.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I think Winslow is going to be a 2 guard in the NBA, or need to be. Unless 6'6" small forwards can still work, but so many long small forwards in the NBA. If I am LA, I collect assets and trade down if possible. Not out of the lottery but if you can get a additional first or a young player with a lottery pick, its a deep draft right now. I like it better then last year especially for bigs.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
I think Winslow is going to be a 2 guard in the NBA, or need to be. Unless 6'6" small forwards can still work, but so many long small forwards in the NBA. If I am LA, I collect assets and trade down if possible. Not out of the lottery but if you can get a additional first or a young player with a lottery pick, its a deep draft right now. I like it better then last year especially for bigs.

Seems like 2s and 3s are practically interchangeable these days unless the 2 is already an undersized 2. If you're 6'4-6'8 between 190-240 pounds and you can play 2 or 3. The practical difference between the positions as far as what you do as a player is pretty much nil.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Justwar wrote:

Seems like 2s and 3s are practically interchangeable these days unless the 2 is already an undersized 2. If you're 6'4-6'8 between 190-240 pounds and you can play 2 or 3. The practical difference between the positions as far as what you do as a player is pretty much nil.

yeup. people need to wake up to the NBA today. lots of 6'2-6'3 SGs in rotations, and lots of 6'5 players being SFs in rotations. 6'6 can guard SFs because SFs rarely post up, theyre wing players.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Justwar wrote:

yeup. people need to wake up to the NBA today. lots of 6'2-6'3 SGs in rotations, and lots of 6'5 players being SFs in rotations. 6'6 can guard SFs because SFs rarely post up, theyre wing players.

Yea, I remember when people thought Eric Gordon was undersized to play the 2 at 6'4. Now it's perfectly normal.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Justwar wrote:

Yea, I remember when people thought Eric Gordon was undersized to play the 2 at 6'4. Now it's perfectly normal.

Only when the players have the wingspan to compensate.

Gordon? Yeah, you can switch him to 3s. 6'9"+ wingspan.

But, it's not like you're going to put Kendall Marshall defending SGs with a 6'5" wingspan.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
He's 6'7 and strong enough to guard SF's in the league.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

When it comes down to it, I think even more than the 'center' the Lakers need that wing defender.

There's two people that fit the mold. There's Justise Winslow, and Stanley Johnson

Stanley Johnson would likely go on to be the better defender and bully, but Winslow has the athleticism and apparently has been working on his offense and three point shooting. Stanley thus far hasn't shown to have made those type of strides but that could be a product of the Arizona offense.

Anyway, Stanley and Winslow to me are the top wing choices. Mudiay doesn't impress me. WCS looks like a solid defensive center too, I just wish it was actually possible for him to fall to the Houston pick(without getting hurt being the reason).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 5 of 36
Jump to: