Serious Q: Is it that serious if Boozer, Lin, Wesley, Sacre, etc. are upset?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Janggoon8 wrote:
Spec wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So where's your proof that Kobe was the reason they wanted to be on the Lakers? I know Isiah Thomas grew up a Lakers fan, but did he ever say that Kobe was the motivating factor to be here? Or Lance? Or even Ariza?

Does that matter really? I don't think Kobe or no Kobe is the sole defining factor for whether a free agent will come to the Lakers. Give them a respectable deal and I'm sure they would of come. People on both sides of the argument get too hung up on Kobe as this polarizing figure. He is just another player on the court when everyone laces up their shoes.

Are we going to ignore a certain player from two years ago? I am a fan of Kobe but c'mon man, who you play with certainly does matter.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/12/dwight-howard-talks-about-his-exit-from-orlando-explains-reasons-for-asking-magic-to-fire-stan-van-gundy/

What REALLY matters is who you play with to legitimately compete. Not necessarily who you want to play with. HOU will not be in contention (barring some major injuries on other teams). We know D12 doesn't have the mentality nor the discipline to compete for a championship in a tough conference.

Well, as much as we all hate D12, it's not like we couldn't use 18/11, top level interior defense. It was a loss and a blow no matter how you describe. 2-3 Jordan Hills do not make up for D12.

I agree. Imagine D12 playing last year. We'd be a .500 team (w/out Kobe). No top pick. This year with no Pau. Possibly a bit above .500. No top pick. We'd still have no cap space and possibly competing for a 6-8 seed. Looks bleek either way. D12 against the Spurs series showed me his true character. He don't want it. I don't want him.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
I love Kobe's approach... he quickly separates the men from the boys. It helps the team although its harsh. You know very quickly which players have a killer instinct and which ones don't.

That's why the Lakers quickly transitioned players in and out for a few years after Shaq was traded. Kobe weeded the scrubs out and exposed them. After 3 years, the Lakers were right back to the NBA Finals with only Kobe and Fisher as the holdovers from the Shaq era.

If a FA is afraid to come to LA because he doesn't want to match Kobe's competitiveness... then i don't want him here anyhow.

And btw, all Kobe did was tell his teammates: If you guys aren't ready to play, i'm going to take ALL the shots. Let me know when you're ready and you'll see the ball again. Simple. Last night they came ready to play and Kobe backed off... he's going to challenge them in every game and they better be ready.

I mostly agree, and totally agree for potential superstars, but not for everyone. Take the Spurs approach with Boris Diaw: seems like a enjoy life kind of guy who produces when it counts, smart, good teammate but doesn't have a 'killer instinct' like the Big 3 and Kawhi to me. Lamar neither. Yet these guys are important contributors to championship teams. It took years for Lamar to be mentally where Kobe could rely on him.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah but Kobe respected Lamar's effort and never got on him too much as a result... Kobe also knew that Lamar had the talent to be very good and, thus, he invested himself to improving Lamar.

If you're marginally talented AND you lack effort on the court, you might as well go That's what i don't understand about a lot of the guys out there. They're fighting for their NBA lives and, yet, they don't even play that hard. Kobe's not stopping them from playing defense too, is he?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Spec wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So where's your proof that Kobe was the reason they wanted to be on the Lakers? I know Isiah Thomas grew up a Lakers fan, but did he ever say that Kobe was the motivating factor to be here? Or Lance? Or even Ariza?

Does that matter really? I don't think Kobe or no Kobe is the sole defining factor for whether a free agent will come to the Lakers. Give them a respectable deal and I'm sure they would of come. People on both sides of the argument get too hung up on Kobe as this polarizing figure. He is just another player on the court when everyone laces up their shoes.

Are we going to ignore a certain player from two years ago? I am a fan of Kobe but c'mon man, who you play with certainly does matter.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/12/dwight-howard-talks-about-his-exit-from-orlando-explains-reasons-for-asking-magic-to-fire-stan-van-gundy/

I should of said most players. Dwight is a special case all his own. It seems like most players in the league don't even like him. KD recently called Dwight soft and Gary Payton said most players don't like him.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Dwight is the type of guy that blames everyone else for everything and never takes responsibility... you can't pay attention to anything he says as a result. Great athleticism, low moral character.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

pretty low threshold for labeling players scrubs around here IMO but whatevs.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah but Kobe respected Lamar's effort and never got on him too much as a result... Kobe also knew that Lamar had the talent to be very good and, thus, he invested himself to improving Lamar.

If you're marginally talented AND you lack effort on the court, you might as well go That's what i don't understand about a lot of the guys out there. They're fighting for their NBA lives and, yet, they don't even play that hard. Kobe's not stopping them from playing defense too, is he?

Agree, except LO didn't always give a good effort, given his talent. Agree with everything else, these guys just aren't that talented as a whole, compared to most other teams West-side. So your premise is pretty solid.
Pete76
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The only thing I can think of is trade value or/and just overall enjoyment of the season. If they're performing well, you can potentially trade them for picks or long term prospects near the trade deadline. Following along isn't as bad even if they're losing to all the playoff teams in the West.

If they're upset and it just becomes a TMZ drama filled losing season, that would make their trade value less along with making the season less enjoyable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: