Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:

The Spurs tanked = Tim Duncan
New Orleans = Anthony Davis
Cleveland = Lebron James
OKC = Durant, Westbrook
Chicago = Rose

The odds of winning the California Super Lotto Jackpot are 1 in 18 million. I'll take my chance with the 1st pick in the NBA lottery.

Only one of those players has actually helped the team that drafted him go on to win a championship. And one other player on that list helped another team win a championship.
The others have yet to prove themselves, and the last one on the list is a perfect example of why drafting the number one pick doesn't guarantee anything, other than a reason to hope he gets better soon.

Jordan was the number 2 pick in his draft, and Kobe was number 17. Meanwhile, how many years did the Clippers try to tank their way to success? And yet it took a gift from David Stern to even attempt to make them relevant. And they are still a disappointment.

I'd rather buy a lottery ticket than root for my favorite team to lose.

To me this "Losing = Winning and Winning = Losing" mantra is pure George Orwell.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I don't agree with this statement....some of the best Laker players were acquired thru the draft. Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Jerry West, Kobe Bryant (via Charlotte), Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich....to say that the Lakers can only acquire talent thru free agency is a falsehood thats been spread by detractors of the organization.

Where in my statement did I say I was opposed to the Lakers drafting players?

I simply don't believe that #1 lottery picks are the magical pot of gold that some here seem to believe.

At best, the lottery is an attempt to provide a silver lining to teams that fail to make the playoffs. And in most cases it's not a very good attempt.

In fact, I think the current lottery system is broken and needs some re-thinking because I believe it is in the best interest of the sport for every team, from the front office on down to the 15th man on the roster, to make a concerted effort to win every game they play. That is the true spirit of competition.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51
Page 51 of 51
Jump to: