LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11-19-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

Wesley Johnson for the win! Crazy! A++++++!

Kobe kept them close. A

Hill was instrumental at the end of the game. Hit a few key jumpers. A

Nick Young. Energetic as usual, a key threat to spread the floor. B

Boozer - Boozer is boozer. Offensively good, defensively bad. Generally OK. B

Lin. Refs have been pretty rough on him. Bogus calls / no calls. At least 2 TO's were result of no calls or wrong calls. He lost his will to drive because of the no calls and good defense by Rockets. Did not have much chance shooting the ball. A few good assists. C

Ed Davis - Should start over Boozer. A

Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers were determined to win this game on a b2b after what Jason terry said about "taking it out on the Lakers". Lakers stayed close the whole game. JHill hit 3 jumpers in a row in the fourth. Don't know why Harden gets those calls when he initiates the contact, then flails wildly. Then in the 4th the refs swallowed the whistle one time and harden was left sitting on the floor. The play of the game came w less than a minute to go, lakers down by 1, when Wes picked the ball from Harden and drove it down for the layup and 1. Great team win!
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't keep notes like you do during games, DB. But I love your recaps so I'll try to return some of the favor by listing some things that I remember.

1) Dwight Coward. Everyone expected him to be in the game, then like 5 minutes before tip off with extremely short notice, it's suddenly announced that he won't be playing due to a sore leg or something. Unlike other injured players, he didn't even show up at the bench to support his teammates, despite it being a home game, and him being presumable nearby since the injury excuse was determined on such short notice. Many think that the leg injury excuse was fabricated just so he won't have to be on national television with commentators talking about his child abuse investigation or asking him questions after the game. Supposedly Morey looked rattled in interviews and Harden looked disinterested in the game because something is happening to cause turmoil behind the scenes. Especially since Silver had just announced a 24 game suspension for Jeff Taylor that day, due to domestic violence charges. If the newly reopened domestic child abuse case catches up with Howard, and he gets hit with a similar suspension, the Rockets can kiss their chances of getting into the playoffs good bye.

2) Without Howard, everyone expected Harden to fill his role, but the Lakers did a great job containing him the first half without falling for his offensive flops. He acted shocked when the refs didn't go for his throw-hands-up-and-pretend-to-be-fouled flopping.

4) Lakers had trouble guarding the three point line. Rockets kept getting wide opens shots and the tons of threes kept them in the game.

3) Lin started off great, with a 3pter to kick off the game. But then a combination of them sticking Beverley on him, doubling him or packing the paint whenever he came off picks, and maybe travel fatigue on a b2b, meant he had a subpar game. But he didn't go into chuck mode, though sometimes I wish he would, since guys like JHill and Boozer just ended up bricking midrange jumpers when Lin dished to them. Lots of no calls and wrong calls on him. The commentators even noted one particularly egregious wrong call. The ball was passed to Lin on a fastbreak, and Lin gets called for a turnover charge when it should have been a blocking foul. When you catch a ball, you're suppose to have a step to change directions. There was no room. He caught the ball and immediately got called for a charge, without taking a single step, much less have that step to change directions, his momentum from the catch carrying him into the defender. It should have been a blocking foul instead of a turnover charge. But BScott benched Lin for that. Though BScott did bring Lin back in for the final minutes and he played good defense on Beverley, holding him to zero points or assists, even managing to deflect the ball out of bounds on defense shortly after getting subbed in. Not a good offensive game by Lin, he never got into rhythm. Though I think I remember at least one of his missed shots ending up in a score due to a tip in, so at least he got the ball into the paint.

4) Kobe chucked, Harden sucked, Wes saves the best for last. Kobe had 29pts, but he took 28FGA to get it (Boozer had even worse efficiency, with 12pts on 15 FGA, settling for too many jumpers instead of working closer for and-1's). Nonetheless, Kobe was the better SG that night compared to Harden. Harden won us the game. Harden was a total disappearing act for the first half, and at the end of the game, he made key turnovers and and-1 fouls that helped Wes seal the game. I remember one funny play where Harden's crotch seem to foul Boozer's face as Boozer dipped and went up for a shot or something as Harden flew in and tumbled over him. Wes played great defense, and really came through for us at the end. He stole the ball from Harden, and then I think even got fouled for an and-1 as Harden tried to catch up (unless I'm remembering it wrong). Wes was the hero of the game due to his play at the end.

5) Brainless Rockets fouled Nick Young at the end. Even the Lakers commentators were saying "WTF are you doing, Rockets?" There was an inbound play at the end where the ball found Swaggy, two Rockets pressured him all the way to the baseline on our side of the court. All they needed to do was not foul and it would have been a turnover due to failing to bring the ball across the half-court line in time. But they fouled him and bailed him out. Two free throws later, and the game was out of reach for the Rockets.

6) Threes vs. Rebounds. Both teams shot pretty bad and nearly identical overall percentages. The Rockets were missing their starting C and PF, so the Lakers got more rebounds and shot attempts. The Rockets compensated by launching a higher volume of 3's, so they were able to stay close and even pull ahead despite having fewer shots and same crappy overall shooting percentage, due to the volume of 3's and their ability to hit them at a decent clip. The Lakers just couldn't defend the 3pt line, giving them all sorts of open looks. But credit to the Rockets for continuously swinging the ball till they found those looks.

7) In one stretch, JHill flummoxed them. Their bigs didn't know how to defend Hill after JHill hit like 3 consecutive jumpers. Do they go out and contest Hill's shot, while opening the penetration lane? Or do they just live with JHill getting those midrange shots? I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to Hill. He looks great when those shots go in. He looks bad when he misses and it becomes a wasted possession when a better look might be found.

8) KPap was the subway sub of the game. With the cowardly absence of Howard the child abuser fleeing from the nation tv spotlight and reporters with a last minute "sore leg", and Harden pulling a disappearing act in the first half before helping the Lakers win at the end, there was a void that needed to be filled, and Papanikolaou played well for them.

9) Ball movement. Whenever the Rockets drove, they kicked it out and passed the ball around the arc over and over again till it found an open guy. I wish the Lakers had that much ball movement. The Lakers didn't have a very fluid game with coordination and ball movement and sharing the ball like last game. But there was a lot of hustle to get more rebounds off missed shots which let us keep up with the Rockets' 3pt barrages. I do wish the Lakers had more of (or really ANY of) those hockey assists where the ball passes around the arc several times till it found the open 3pt guy, like the Rockets. But we all know Byron Scott's feelings on launching 3pters.

Overall, despite the flaws, I loved it. Great to win a back to back game on the road, against the Rockets of all teams (helps the value of the draft pick that the Rockets owe the Lakers). Especially great after Jason Terry said (and most Rockets fans were counting on) that the Rockets were going to use the Lakers as the punching bag to rebound from their offensive woes recently and recover their confidence from the Memphis loss. Dwight Coward fleeing from child abuse questions from reporters and not wanting to be on national tv with a last minute "leg injury" just made it that much sweeter. Especially when Harden is the Lakers MVP of the game Kobe definitely has something to say about all those Rockets fans claiming Harden is the "best SG in the league"

Edit: I'll give Lin a pass due to the emotions of returning to a city he'd been in for 2 years. Especially when they played a tribute video for him during a time out in the 1st quarter. That's gotta mess with his mind a bit and take his focus off the game.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/11/lin-honored-with-toyota-center-highlight-video/

Last edited by AirShooter on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

Excellent job, guys. Probably the best DIY night we've had. Great to read so many detailed perspectives. I'm on the road for a while so we may need more of this depending on my schedule.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

Lin played like D12 last night. Neither of them showed up.

Kobe became the de facto PG, leading the team with 7 assists. An efficient 1st half, chucking in the 2nd, but he made a huge, huge jumper and 1 when the team absolutely needed it.

Hill's work on his jumper is showing (which is why I didn't mind him taking the controversial late game one in Memphis). As long as he gets those 2x2's. He and Booz both had 2x2's, thanks in part to D12's absence.

Thanks Wes for showing up. We're 2-0 in the Swaggy P era!
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Nice job, AirShooter. Missed your write up DB, look forward to the one tomorrow night. Good but strange win by the Lakers and maybe Wes's big contributions late will get him going. We can only hope so.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

Kobe became the de facto PG, leading the team with 7 assists. An efficient 1st half, chucking in the 2nd, but he made a huge, huge jumper and 1 when the team absolutely needed it.

Hill's work on his jumper is showing (which is why I didn't mind him taking the controversial late game one in Memphis). As long as he gets those 2x2's. He and Booz both had 2x2's, thanks in part to D12's absence.

I think Lin showed up. He played strong defense and you noticed how many weird plays he was in. He had 4 assists. He was rattled and off his game. So, adjustment time because that's how he's going to be defended since he's known for his dribble penetration but bad dribble when he's not penetrating.

Kobe outplayed Harden, good enough. Harden was efficient and facilitated well but made a lot of ugly TOs and shot an airball late in the game.
SwaggyWin
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

Lin: Garbage. His defense is weak, always trying to double team someone in the post, leaving his man wide open. Bev dropped so many 3s on him. Don't fall for illusion that he did good defense in the 4th quarter. the only reason Bev didn't score more is because Harden was ISOing the entire time. I saw multiple times Lin was few feet away from Bev, but luckily no one passed himt he ball. No attack mentality whatsoever, just dribble up court and pass to bigs or Kobe, why do we need to pay him 8M to do that? the Lakers did better with Price in than him in the 4th, think about that, Ronnie freaking Price...

Kobe: didn't like the way he played in 4th but we won, so no complaints

Wes: I meant Kawaii Leonard. Awesome defense in the 4th, love the effort.

Boozer: benching him was the right decision

Hill: Good offensive rebound

Swaggy P: I thought i was watching Kobe there for a min

ED: good as always, wish he played more
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Great job with the write-ups, guys.

Seconded.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
My write up is simple: jason terry is going to have to take this loss out on Dwight's kids...

Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:

I think Lin showed up. He played strong defense and you noticed how many weird plays he was in. He had 4 assists. He was rattled and off his game. So, adjustment time because that's how he's going to be defended since he's known for his dribble penetration but bad dribble when he's not penetrating.

Kobe outplayed Harden, good enough. Harden was efficient and facilitated well but made a lot of ugly TOs and shot an airball late in the game.

Lin: 3 pts (none after 1st minute of play), 4 assists (only 1 in 2nd half), 5 TO's No he didn't show up.
LIN17
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:

Kobe kept them close. A

Lin. Refs have been pretty rough on him. Bogus calls / no calls. At least 2 TO's were result of no calls or wrong calls. He lost his will to drive because of the no calls and good defense by Rockets. Did not have much chance shooting the ball. A few good assists. C

Honestly, Lin needs to get mad and take few techs on bogus and bad calls. Meekly walking away after being f-over by the ref repeatedly is not helping. We want to see some fire and rage.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
My write up is simple: jason terry is going to have to take this loss out on Dwight's kids...

So messed up!!
shark-lin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I expect a bounce back game from Lin after a poor performance against the Rockets. If only he was consistent, he would be an above avg PG!
rang15
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
If the newly reopened domestic child abuse case catches up with Howard, and he gets hit with a similar suspension, the Rockets can kiss their chances of getting into the playoffs good bye.

Howard should get whatever he deserves for whatever he did.

That said, I do hope Houston does make the playoffs so we can get their draft pick this year. Ideally they slip to the 8th spot.
back2backlakers2010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I think this sums up last nights game. Rockets were "soft". Mamba got what he wanted.

http://i.imgur.com/YfEuAz9.jpg
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

rang15 wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
If the newly reopened domestic child abuse case catches up with Howard, and he gets hit with a similar suspension, the Rockets can kiss their chances of getting into the playoffs good bye.

Howard should get whatever he deserves for whatever he did.

That said, I do hope Houston does make the playoffs so we can get their draft pick this year. Ideally they slip to the 8th spot.

The pick rolls over (with decreasing protection in subsequent years). So if the Lakers don't get the pick this season (lottery protected), then they can get the pick next season (top 10 protected). Or, in the dream scenario (which probably won't happen), get it in 2021 (fully unprotected) as the #1 overall draft pick. The longer the pick goes unfulfilled, the better it can potentially get, since the protection on it keeps decreasing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
24 wrote:

So messed up!!

Someone pointed out to me that this was in bad taste. I agree and apologize.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
12 wrote:
24 wrote:

So messed up!!

Someone pointed out to me that this was in bad taste. I agree and apologize.

It was, indeed. I am glad you apologized...
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Whoa!

We're actually starting to win games now?

This feels... right.
autoprt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

shark-lin wrote:
I expect a bounce back game from Lin after a poor performance against the Rockets. If only he was consistent, he would be an above avg PG!
agreed it's riding a roller coaster or bucking bronco. i think what happens is when he has bad games there is no tape or highlights on him to study then he goes off the next game then they study the tape and d him up based on the way he played and the cycle goes up and down.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Good job AS. Since I enjoy your posts DB, I will contribute. Obviously I am not as knowledgeable as you are in b-ball. Just filling in small gaps

AS, you were right that one of Lin misses was tipped in by Ed Davis. Lin had a few air balls IIRC. Rox doubled team him all game. He did not get much help for breaking the double teams. He did not do much offensively, though he had a nice entry pass to Kobe the Bryant. He defended well in general. BS trusted him enough at the end that he was called in at 2:45 mark of the 4th quarter to mainly defend and basically just bring the ball up.

It was a frustrating game to watch. We did not have much flow offensively, though we defended rather well. It was the defense that kept us in the game, and eventually won it. If we were to play as well as the Hawks game offensively, we probably would have blown the Rox away. If you want to save yourself some frustrations, just watch the last 6 minutes of the game.
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobe B
Nick Young B+
Jeremy Lin D+
Boozer C
Jordan Hill B+
Ed Davis A
Price C-
Sacre ---
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:

[quote="SwaggyWin"]Lin: Garbage. His defense is weak, always trying to double team someone in the post, leaving his man wide open. Bev dropped so many 3s on him. Don't fall for illusion that he did good defense in the 4th quarter. the only reason Bev didn't score more is because Harden was ISOing the entire time. I saw multiple times Lin was few feet away from Bev, but luckily no one passed himt he ball. No attack mentality whatsoever, just dribble up court and pass to bigs or Kobe, why do we need to pay him 8M to do that? the Lakers did better with Price in than him in the 4th, think about that, Ronnie freaking Price...

wow harsh actually in the 4th closing minutes there was a cross court pass to BEV for the 3 spot. Lin intercepted and swiped it off court. Basically Lin managed to nuked BEV's 3 point threat when it mattered. Alsot Lin managed to stay in front of Bev on his drives to the hoop. Most of Bev's 3s when he was hot were contested by Lin. Power to Bev, but as we know it, a team relying on 3s to win is fool's gold. unless you are lillard or golden state .

Last edited by rockets killer on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject:

LIN17 wrote:
j-wolf wrote:

Kobe kept them close. A

Honestly, Lin needs to get mad and take few techs on bogus and bad calls. Meekly walking away after being f-over by the ref repeatedly is not helping. We want to see some fire and rage.

I hate it when he keeps saying linsainty is over. F$#!@$K U LIN . Don't surpress Linsainty!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: