OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

brunel wrote:
Honestly, all this stuff about what he did on the Knicks, the epic soap opera some of you are writing on his time in Houston, the celebrity-stalker type projections of what you think is making him struggle is all so unnecessary in the discussion of his tenure with the Lakers.

He's in a great situation with Byron and Kobe. They given him every opportunity to showcase his talent. Granted, this isn't the most talented roster. But in the NBA, you can either be extremely lucky and get plopped into a great system/coaching staff/personnel or you have to be able to show GMs that you're the type of exceptional talent that's worth adding to a core, even when you're on a bad team.

So far, Lin's not shown anything that would warrant Mitch signing him to a contract other than as a backup. That's on him. No excuses.

we are at 12 of 82 games.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
brunel wrote:
Honestly, all this stuff about what he did on the Knicks, the epic soap opera some of you are writing on his time in Houston, the celebrity-stalker type projections of what you think is making him struggle is all so unnecessary in the discussion of his tenure with the Lakers.

He's in a great situation with Byron and Kobe. They given him every opportunity to showcase his talent. Granted, this isn't the most talented roster. But in the NBA, you can either be extremely lucky and get plopped into a great system/coaching staff/personnel or you have to be able to show GMs that you're the type of exceptional talent that's worth adding to a core, even when you're on a bad team.

So far, Lin's not shown anything that would warrant Mitch signing him to a contract other than as a backup. That's on him. No excuses.

So I guess you agree.
JuanCesta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

brunel wrote:
bws94 wrote:
brunel wrote:

So I guess you agree.

I'm very confident that Lin is gonna get better and better as the season goes on. He always has historically. Right now he's sitting on 11.3ppg 5APG with pretty good percentagez 46/41/90 on low volume.

The fact that Byron is being very patient and fair with Lin, like putting him back in the HOU game in crunch time despite Lin not feeling it offensively, is gonna get Lim to stop being so terrified of making a mistake and hesitant.

If Lin finishes the season with
14-15PPG 6-7APG 2.5 RPG with 45/38/85 would that be enough in your opinion for Mitch to re sign him for say 4 years 24million or 6 million per?
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

If Lin could only "wake up"... i think the Lakers would surprise a lot of people. Our transition defense is terrible and we need a PG to run our offense efficiently so that the transition chances are minimized. That's why Lin is such a key and why i'm so upset... Kobe and Byron Scott are pleading for him to take over and run things.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

JuanCesta wrote:
brunel wrote:
bws94 wrote:
brunel wrote:

So I guess you agree.

I'm very confident that Lin is gonna get better and better as the season goes on. He always has historically. Right now he's sitting on 11.3ppg 5APG with pretty good percentagez 46/41/90 on low volume.

The fact that Byron is being very patient and fair with Lin, like putting him back in the HOU game in crunch time despite Lin not feeling it offensively, is gonna get Lim to stop being so terrified of making a mistake and hesitant.

If Lin finishes the season with
14-15PPG 6-7APG 2.5 RPG with 45/38/85 would that be enough in your opinion for Mitch to re sign him for say 4 years 24million or 6 million per?

Those numbers are more than fine for 6M, but his TOs have to come down if he's not going to be up in the 18+ppg area. But more than the numbers, he's gotta be consistent and he's gotta be a gamer. Right now, he's neither.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
If Lin could only "wake up"... i think the Lakers would surprise a lot of people. Our transition defense is terrible and we need a PG to run our offense efficiently so that the transition chances are minimized. That's why Lin is such a key and why i'm so upset... Kobe and Byron Scott are pleading for him to take over and run things.

I agree with the best-case-scenario you've outlined but the questions (as you're well aware of) remains: IS Lin really capable of that? Is he THAT kind of player?

Maybe ... but I'm leaning towards not.

Journeyman NBA players often show flashes of great play. But they always fall back down to earth. They disappear for lapses until, later on, they're either out of the league, on the end of somebody's bench, or have gained enough wisdom to maximize their ability to recognize their limitations and have developed specific skills to compliment star players. They've instead become productive, solid role players that never reproduce those apexes they hit in their younger days but they are now consistent contributing fillers that all playoff teams need.

And the reason why I lean this way is because I suspect Lin's problems are all upstairs.

Confidence is one part. The other is the guy, surprisingly, doesn't seem as bright as he'd need to be turn the corner. He makes at least 2 plays a game (one driving and one passing) that just make me ask in frustration, "What is he thinking????"

Again, I sincerely hope I'm wrong because I agree with your assessment of his potential role. But I just doubt he has the goods required to become that CONSISTENTLY.
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
All the excuses do not justify that he often plays scared out there... that has nothing to do with ability, knowing your teammates, scheme, etc. That's all on him. Until he stops playing scared so often, Lin is going to have problems.

Is he scared of Kobe or the opponents?

I don't think he's scared at all.

But is he tentative sometimes? Sure. But I think it's more about over thinking for wanting the right shot or play rather than fear.

If the offense if moving and flowing he's go into the teeth of the defense and get slammed to the ground over and over again. The guy isn't scared.

But when the offense isn't moving, he analyzes his shot opportunity and thinks if it's a smart decision or not.

Everyone wants him to play on instinct instead of over thinking. But I think his instinct is based on seeing movement and then seeing opportunities to attack as a result of that movement.

Yes and no. Just because Lin isn't an in-your-face type of macho challenging player doesn't mean he is scared. By nature of his dribble, he looks more unsteady than others at a slower pace. At a slower pace, the pace the starters play, he's not playing to his strength of attacking defenses not set, finding seams, etc. and waits for a play to develop in his probing PG style. He's not on his game if given different looks and pressure. He'll become hesitant, tentative, maybe unsure, but is he afraid of contact or physical play? No. Is he intimidated by some defenders? Yes. I feel that Lin knows deep down he doesn't handle the ball well and here's where I think his eagerness to get it out of his hands like it is a hot potato sometimes is exposed. He doesn't mind going one-on-one but he's vulnerable there to good defenders to getting his pocket picked and I think he knows that. He has a beat you off the dribble mentality, but not really an ISO and shake and bake you mentality.

In this game against the Mavs early this year, look at how fast and decisive he is and how he brings the ball up and moves compared to the plodding pace he often plays with the first unit. Look how physical he plays on defense forcing guys into bad shots and against much, much bigger guys. The idea of this "scared" Lin is unfortunate. I understand why some think it but it's not entirely what is going on.

pretty sure the poster meant lin was scared as in mentally not physically. like scared of turning the ball over mostly or scared of making a mistake. lin does play tentative out there at times and sometimes wastes time dribbling and ending up having nothing and passing it off or turning it over for a poor possesion. would have to say thats his greatest weakness as a gurad right now are his handles and how he can face defensive pressure
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
xiaozhugong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Rockets tribute video to Jeremy Lin.

Rockets tribute video to Jeremy Lin. He really played well in fast pace system.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2014/05/28/JeremyLin201314mp4-3285460
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

What are you guys talking about? There is no play to be run at this point. Byron does not practice offense, at least not yet. It is going to be just player improvising till mid-season.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

qiantom wrote:
What are you guys talking about? There is no play to be run at this point. Byron does not practice offense, at least not yet. It is going to be just player improvising till mid-season.

It's the Swaggy Scheme.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

brunel wrote:
bws94 wrote:
brunel wrote:

So I guess you agree.

not really. not judging him on 12 games in a new system with a bunch of new team mates. I know what Lin can do, and am looking at how he's trying to play his game in this system. Sample size is too small, so I'm not saying so far anything.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

This coming game has Chandler, Parsons, Lin. It gets to be very interesting!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

find a suitor and dump him.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Lin is our starter. Let him be the third option! Stop asking him to be the second option or worse to be a star. He is what he is which is good enough for an NBA PG starting job.
Type Raba
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

lin's game is easy to figure out. give him picks and spread the floor. it hasnt happened much this season, but with young back i expect a lot more small ball.
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Would have been great to have him last year. He would have been one of the best on the team. Might have save Dantonie's job. I don't think Scott has the balls to let Lin run the offense even though each one of Scott 's stops he had a PG that led the offense.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakers don't run the spread and never will under Scott... if that's the only way Lin is effective, then he'll never be as a Laker.
JuanCesta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Type Raba wrote:
lin's game is easy to figure out. give him picks and spread the floor. it hasnt happened much this season, but with young back i expect a lot more small ball.

I agree I think Lin has the potential to be a natural 3rd option on a great team/ contender. Just take the pressure off of his shoulders to be "the man" and he will flourish. Lin has fe skills to be a high quality 3rd option.

The life of a good 3rd option is pretty good:
Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Mchale
Horace Grant
Manu

Last edited by JuanCesta on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Lakers don't run the spread and never will under Scott... if that's the only way Lin is effective, then he'll never be as a Laker.

They should. Not extreme as last year but that is where the NBA is at now.
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

JuanCesta wrote:
Type Raba wrote:

I agree I think Lin has the potential to be a natural 3rd option on a great team/ contender. Just take the pressure off of his shoulders to be "the man" and he will flourish. Lin has fe skills to be a high quality 3rd option.

Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Mchale
Horace Grant
Manu

3rd option in the right system.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:
Type Raba wrote:

Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Mchale
Horace Grant
Manu

Yes. In this system he is the 4th and co-facilitates the offense with Kobe.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
brunel wrote:

LoL. So true.

Perspective people!
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
pd24 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:
Type Raba wrote:

Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Mchale
Horace Grant
Manu

Could be the third if he shot more. We suck, just shoot. He has to think sometimes, is it better for Boozer or Hill to take this shot or me.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
bws94 wrote:
pd24 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:
Type Raba wrote:

Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Mchale
Horace Grant
Manu

Could be the third if he shot more. We suck, just shoot. He has to think sometimes, is it better for Boozer or Hill to take this shot or me.

He really needs to think more to score. JLin made his name scoring like crazy and in Houston he helped the team when Harden was out by scoring and getting to the line. Now he's tilted too far in wanting to pass. He's over-passing really. He's close to taking the fewest shots of any starting PG in the league. Lin also needs to get to the line which he only does sometimes (yeah, he doesn't get the calls enough but he has to try to). He's a great FT shooter. Should end the season in the 80s, maybe mid 80s.
jaysorbet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Read about that long post on his history with the Rox and man, they did him in. Talk about being used and tossed away. I felt the same way with what the Rox did to Chandler.

Playing for the Lakers must be a getaway for Lin then. Though he needs to mesh with whatever offense we have going out there. If Pau and MDA stayed, maybe things might have been different this season
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 112 of 503
Jump to: