Interstellar (Nolan, McConaughey)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Wow, what a movie; such a wild ride in IMAX. A really really good movie. Its actually a movie that I wouldn't mind watching again at the movies. Couldn't say that for TDK series.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Had to bite my tongue when I saw one my old H.S. friends on Facebook call it a stinker, because I find arguing with people on Facebook about anything a total pointless waste of my energy. But what I would've said to him was "open your mind and enjoy the ride." Because I'm sure the guy is just to small minded to enjoy good sci-fi.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

It was a pretty fun and engaging movie, however Nolan's constant whiny pessimistic crap is getting old. Gorgeous movie visually though. Way cooler than gravity.

Too many plot and character holes particularly Mann & Batman Albert, and when we question those plot & character holes we're told, "hey man, don't be too smart, just ignore those and enjoy the movie, don't overthink it", however at the same time the movie asks you to be intelligent. That's B.S. You can't have it both way. Pick one.

I admit to being a nitpicky lil' twerp though. The movie is worth watching. It just bother's me when movies don't stick to their own idea. Google David Lynch's "idea" quote. You have to stay within your own universe & style. Don't deviate, it cheapens your film.

Good flick, but can't sniff the underroonies of Stanely's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Btw, Kubrick's favorite film? Eraser Head. Lynch. One of the craziest movies ever, however it was able to stay within it's own universe and within it's own idea. Lynch was a genius.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

I thought it had some pacing issues, and certain things that were just not well explained. I thought the entire setup of how one day, Cooper is a downtrodden engineer with nothing to do and suddenly the next day he's ready to leave his kids and blast off to another galaxy was contrived. Why even go through the painful articulation of that opening act?

Once the movie gets going, I found it to be extremely stark and bleak throughout.

The science and special effects are A+ though. They had a Caltech physicist as a producer and he modeled the black hole Gargantua exactly as we would expect to see it based on General Relativity and the Lens Effect.

Well, the science was great until the very end when they had to resort to the Deus Ex of time travel to resolve the plot.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Saw it in 70mm in the dome. The sound was fantastic and space effects were breakthrough.

This was a significant step backwards for Nolan. If this had come somewhere between the first Batman and Inception, it'd be 10/10, but he used too many lazy tropes to even mention, and I'm damned tired of his using Michael Caine as the patriarch adviser. That, along with "the secret ingredient is...LOVE!" and the "it was you all along!" and the back to the future twist, auuugh. What a waste of potential.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Saw it in 70mm in the dome. The sound was fantastic and space effects were breakthrough.

This was a significant step backwards for Nolan. If this had come somewhere between the first Batman and Inception, it'd be 10/10, but he used too many lazy tropes to even mention, and I'm damned tired of his using Michael Caine as the patriarch adviser. That, along with "the secret ingredient is...LOVE!" and the "it was you all along!" and the back to the future twist, auuugh. What a waste of potential.

So what movie would you say is a 10/10?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
C M B wrote:

Waterworld

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
C M B wrote:

Waterworld

I like that movie a lot.

You didn't put in on your list in the top sci fi films thread tho
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Still haven't managed to get myself to pony up for such a potentially butt-numbing experience.

My feelings are uncertainty that the people singing it's praise are not normally folks whose movie opinions I can trust, the one's who are saying it was worth it and that aside from some minor details ... it was really a great film (mentioning score, cinematography, etc.) are people that I suspect who had their expectations lowered by the early criticism, and the people who are down on it either went in with expectations too high or who went in critically and found what they were looking for without much digging.

My sister was hell bent on watching it and when I asked what she thought, her response was "I liked it" and that was it as if she was mustering what enthusiasm she could to justify all the hullabaloo she had made in getting out to see it. And then she said she'd give it an 8/10 ... which is too high for her reaction.

So, I'm gonna play it safe and watch it on dvd like Guardians of the Galaxy.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

If nothing else, it's worth going just for the spectacle of it.

!...
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Go ahead and stream GoG nothing special there.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
C M B wrote:

Still haven't managed to get myself to pony up for such a potentially butt-numbing experience.

My feelings are uncertainty that the people singing it's praise are not normally folks whose movie opinions I can trust, the one's who are saying it was worth it and that aside from some minor details ... it was really a great film (mentioning score, cinematography, etc.) are people that I suspect who had their expectations lowered by the early criticism, and the people who are down on it either went in with expectations too high or who went in critically and found what they were looking for without much digging.

My sister was hell bent on watching it and when I asked what she thought, her response was "I liked it" and that was it as if she was mustering what enthusiasm she could to justify all the hullabaloo she had made in getting out to see it. And then she said she'd give it an 8/10 ... which is too high for her reaction.

So, I'm gonna play it safe and watch it on dvd like Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's eye/ear candy. Unless you have a killer setup at home, you're going to lose 90% of the impact. You're left with not much more than very average acting and massive plot issues.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
C M B wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
C M B wrote:

Waterworld

I like that movie a lot.

You didn't put in on your list in the top sci fi films thread tho

I was joking, Waterworld was scheisse.

I liked Interstellar, I just thought it would've been so much more.

Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Neil deGrasse Tyson Discusses Time Travel in "Interstellar"

youtube
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I agree 200%. Big waste of potential.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: