Dragon Age Inquisition (MINOR SPOILERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay I'm about 18 hours in...lol.

@ Don - The controls feel slightly cumbersome. You can tell this was designed for console in mind first...pretty obvious with the menu system. DA 2 was the same way but it felt a lot smoother. DA 2 did a great job with how seemless it felt moving your targeted guy around in a hybrid action/standard RPG sort of way. For some reason when I try to turn around or move around in combat with my selected character, it seems slow to react. It's not BAD but it's noticeable.

AI - I wish the AI was more customizable a la DA 1/2. I want more if/then possibilities I can modify. Right now it's just "enable" the AI to use the skill or not. Really a massive step back. The AI sometimes acts really dumb. Range guys don't kite as well as tehy should. My main rogue will sometimes get out of back stab position and stand up front and get hit by cone attacks if I don't baby sit him. DA 2's combat engine was fantastic, this feels like a step back. I might try a game pad. Does logitech make a good one that works with their unity receiver?

Small notes. I miss Alistair. Hard is pretty challenging. I can't wait to try Nightmare or whatever the highest is called.

Overall, the game is fuggen amazing. The entire ambience and feel on top of the production value are all off the charts. The epic feel of developing this world changing organization has shades of ME3 to it. This game is definitely not for the OCD. I stress over every decision/dialogue because knowing Bioware, it's going to affect the ending some how.

Wellp, back to Thedas for me .
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

@ Don - The controls feel slightly cumbersome. You can tell this was designed for console in mind first...pretty obvious with the menu system. DA 2 was the same way but it felt a lot smoother. DA 2 did a great job with how seemless it felt moving your targeted guy around in a hybrid action/standard RPG sort of way. For some reason when I try to turn around or move around in combat with my selected character, it seems slow to react. It's not BAD but it's noticeable.

AI - I wish the AI was more customizable a la DA 1/2. I want more if/then possibilities I can modify. Right now it's just "enable" the AI to use the skill or not. Really a massive step back. The AI sometimes acts really dumb. Range guys don't kite as well as tehy should. My main rogue will sometimes get out of back stab position and stand up front and get hit by cone attacks if I don't baby sit him. DA 2's combat engine was fantastic, this feels like a step back. I might try a game pad. Does logitech make a good one that works with their unity receiver?

Small notes. I miss Alistair. Hard is pretty challenging. I can't wait to try Nightmare or whatever the highest is called.

Overall, the game is fuggen amazing. The entire ambience and feel on top of the production value are all off the charts. The epic feel of developing this world changing organization has shades of ME3 to it. This game is definitely not for the OCD. I stress over every decision/dialogue because knowing Bioware, it's going to affect the ending some how.

Wow man you caught up to me fast!! I'm about 25 hours in. I miss Alistair as well, I'm still hoping there's a cameo later in the game for him and a couple others.

I play on normal so I haven't tinkered with the AI too much (I usually play casual for the story so this shows how much I enjoy the combat haha).

Yeah the controls were consolified like Skyrim. With a controller there's a noticeable drop in clunkiness. Actually, there's basically none at all, and the tac camera is easier to control too.

Production values for this game are INSANE! I'm in a constant state of disbelief. "Wait..you mean I can have full blown conversation with random NPC #2?? AND ROMANCE THEM TOO?! And there's meaningful dialogue and decisions occurring on a near constant basis?" Jeez louise, pinch me I must be dreaming.

After SWTOR, which was too much grind and too little story, and Mass Effect 3, which was a lot of story but not enough of it, this game has finally hit the sweet spot. ME3 didn't really have that many dialogue options either, whereas you get a ton for almost every convo here.

I'm in bioware heaven. It's like they've finally properly ported Baulder's gate.

On a side note, I was playing Warlords of Draenor in the week before DAI game out and now I can barely stand it. It is very similar to Dragon Age but everything's worse since it's a time sucking MMO. With DAI I can get the same fun but at whatever pace I desire. Win one for bioware, hope they take this level of effort and apply it to Mass Effect 4 and their future SWTOR content.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Might check it out over the thanksigivng long weekend. Maybe they're release a patch to make it more PC friendly controls
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Might check it out over the thanksigivng long weekend. Maybe they're release a patch to make it more PC friendly controls

Don't let it stop you from buying it. I might have made the controls sound like it's difficult to play. It's not like that at all..it just feels not quite as smooth as DA 2. I'm pausing a little more now than in DA 2 to move my guys around...nowhere near the amount I did in DA 1 though. I think it's just an adjustment period.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Wow man you caught up to me fast!! I'm about 25 hours in. I miss Alistair as well, I'm still hoping there's a cameo later in the game for him and a couple others.

I play on normal so I haven't tinkered with the AI too much (I usually play casual for the story so this shows how much I enjoy the combat haha).

Yeah the controls were consolified like Skyrim. With a controller there's a noticeable drop in clunkiness. Actually, there's basically none at all, and the tac camera is easier to control too.

Production values for this game are INSANE! I'm in a constant state of disbelief. "Wait..you mean I can have full blown conversation with random NPC #2?? AND ROMANCE THEM TOO?! And there's meaningful dialogue and decisions occurring on a near constant basis?" Jeez louise, pinch me I must be dreaming.

After SWTOR, which was too much grind and too little story, and Mass Effect 3, which was a lot of story but not enough of it, this game has finally hit the sweet spot. ME3 didn't really have that many dialogue options either, whereas you get a ton for almost every convo here.

I'm in bioware heaven. It's like they've finally properly ported Baulder's gate.

On a side note, I was playing Warlords of Draenor in the week before DAI game out and now I can barely stand it. It is very similar to Dragon Age but everything's worse since it's a time sucking MMO. With DAI I can get the same fun but at whatever pace I desire. Win one for bioware, hope they take this level of effort and apply it to Mass Effect 4 and their future SWTOR content.

Skyrim's gameplay was left click and right click lol. Given how primitive it's game engine was (not graphics) they did a remarkable job. It was a first/3rd person adventure game that masqueraded as an rpg. Or a tech demo.

I made the "big" early game decision and I'm in knots right now debating whether to go a different path...grrr.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Skyrim's gameplay was left click and right click lol. Given how primitive it's game engine was (not graphics) they did a remarkable job. It was a first/3rd person adventure game that masqueraded as an rpg. Or a tech demo.

I made the "big" early game decision and I'm in knots right now debating whether to go a different path...grrr.

If it's the one I think you're talking about then I think you're good either way...but I imagine it does change a lot since many of the quests afterwards are based on stuff that specifically occurred during the quest of your selection.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

By the way, Mages can now become Jedi (basically). Thanks Bioware XD
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Don't let it stop you from buying it. I might have made the controls sound like it's difficult to play. It's not like that at all..it just feels not quite as smooth as DA 2. I'm pausing a little more now than in DA 2 to move my guys around...nowhere near the amount I did in DA 1 though. I think it's just an adjustment period.

Yeah it's not bad, it's just not as smooth as Origins. It feels a lot like SWTOR with slightly more sluggish movement/looting actually.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
How so?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

I'll just say this: laser swords.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Can your mage party members have that ability or is it only for the "Inquisitor"?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Can your mage party members have that ability or is it only for the "Inquisitor"?

Your party members all have a special class you can copy if you are the same general class as them. So there are 3 mages in your party and they each have a specialty. The Jedi spec can be copied from one of them.

Having them on your party means you can test them out before you get locked into one. I loved waving around a magical energy sword so I went with that XD
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Your party members all have a special class you can copy if you are the same general class as them. So there are 3 mages in your party and they each have a specialty. The Jedi spec can be copied from one of them.

Having them on your party means you can test them out before you get locked into one. I loved waving around a magical energy sword so I went with that XD

Okay. I usually play as a dual wield rogue/warrior so I probably won't use the jedi ability in my first playthrough. Good to know that at least 1 of my party members can.

Thanks for the info and for not spoiling anything.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Oh, is that what the specialties are? Good to know, I was debating on the 3 for my rogue. So it's identical to the unlocked paths that the 3 members of your team get?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

This game is crack if you suffer from " OOOOO look at the shiny!" syndrome.

!...
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Just picked the game up a couple days ago, probably have like 4-5 hours played. I'm an idiot thinking it would be like Dragon Age 2 and that the exploration/quest path would be somewhat linear, so I spent a good 1.5-2 hours just running around not knowing where the heck I'm going until I realized to use the quest map and set waypoints to the quests lol. So aside from my tier-1 brainfart, I've been enjoying the game a lot. I made a 2-h Human Warrior, but I find myself switching over to the Ranged Characters more often, maybe it's just the lack of abilities in the early level of the skill tree, but so far, 2-h Warrior doesn't seem to be doing it for me which is weird since I enjoyed the 2-h Warrior classes most in the earlier games.

So far it's just a lot of Taunt to garner attention and then positioning so I can hit multiple enemies at once without friendly-firing Cassandra who btw is far and away a better tank, which makes things all the more frustrating because when she garners agro, no matter my position I tend to hit her too lol.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Oh, is that what the specialties are? Good to know, I was debating on the 3 for my rogue. So it's identical to the unlocked paths that the 3 members of your team get?

Yup! So if you want you can test them out a bit beforehand.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Okay. I usually play as a dual wield rogue/warrior so I probably won't use the jedi ability in my first playthrough. Good to know that at least 1 of my party members can.

Thanks for the info and for not spoiling anything.

No prob! Yeah I chose mage in Origins as well as 2, just wanted to stay consistent. It's funny how the mages are "scary" in the game but every NPC has to acknowledge that every major hero has been a mage XD

And City Dawg..yeah it's bad. I always get stuck in the zones for way longer than I want to be trying to do everything in sight. I've tried to force myself to stick to one quest at a time, so far so good. Jeez this game is LONG. Already poured about as many hours into it as Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age II combined and I'm still probably only just reaching halfway through. Been holding off on the big story mission I have thanks to all the shinies...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Okay, with the specialty I wanted to try out the most...the companion that "should" have it doesn't have a specialty.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
How so?

Okay. That's weird.

Okay, with the specialty I wanted to try out the most...the companion that "should" have it doesn't have a specialty.

Could be you haven't unlocked that companion yet? Hmm. I know I was doing random quests on the docket and ended up with an entirely new companion XD
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

All I have to say is holy crap at the amount of side quests there is in this game. Been playing for 10hours and it feels like I only progressed .10% of the game lol
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Sera

!...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Sera

She is hysterical.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Sera

I love her. She's my best friend. Now, Solas on the other hand...I want him to respect me but everything I do seems to piss him off. Same with Blackwall, though to a lesser extent. I think I'm nearly finished with the game story wise and I still haven't unlocked their sidequests.

Also, yeah, this game is like Skyrim on crack when it comes to sidequests. I like whack-a-moling them down but they keep coming back in more numbers. I've got more than enough power to do the story missions and yet my quest log probably has a hundred of those quests XD.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Sera

I love her. She's my best friend. Now, Solas on the other hand...I want him to respect me but everything I do seems to piss him off. Same with Blackwall, though to a lesser extent. I think I'm nearly finished with the game story wise and I still haven't unlocked their sidequests.

Also, yeah, this game is like Skyrim on crack when it comes to sidequests. I like whack-a-moling them down but they keep coming back in more numbers. I've got more than enough power to do the story missions and yet my quest log probably has a hundred of those quests XD.

Do you mean the jobs int eh war room or actual quests in the zones themselves?

I found that doing a full clear of zones, hitting up shards/monuments will clear the map of all quests just in the process of exploration.

I have two zones left and 6 of 10 of the big bad bosses to go. I did full clear on the others otherwise and honestly didn't do anything other than make sure I explored the entire map whilst pinging the radar.

Btw, make sure the FIRST perk you guys pick up is increasing the radius of the radar. It's a huge quality of life improvement.

As far as triggering companion quests, make sure you do a full run through base and talk to every npc after every storyline quest or primary zone quest. Blackwall's I recall getting fairly early.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: