KAJ's record
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I posted this in the game thread, thought I'd repost it here.

Fans talking about Kobe catching Jordan on the all time list. Does it matter to anyone that Jordan did it in 13 years. Kobe's playing in his 18th year. Took Cap 20 years to get his. Malone 19.

If Kobe catches Mike, does he really catch Mike?

It depends on how you look at the record.

Ultimately I view it as a state function, it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get to the destination.

I think that view point is the general consensus when viewing records as well, although from time to time we see breakdowns of various records.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Fans talking about Kobe catching Jordan on the all time list. Does it matter to anyone that Jordan did it in 13 years. Kobe's playing in his 18th year. Took Cap 20 years to get his. Malone 19.

Mah Brutha, and with all due respect, especially since you've been holding down the fort in the Ferguson thread. But, you need to stop treating Kobe like a red-headed step child. Of course Kobe catches MJ. Different circumstances, different career arcs, etc. But Kobe is a better scorer than MJ. Put Kobe on those Bulls teams with Kobe, starting from the get and with a green light, being able to clean out a side whenever he wanted, with the increased pace of play and points per possession, a shorter three point line, and all of the missed games for lockouts etc and yes, Kobe averages 30 ppg, not 26, and yes, he passes MJ either way. Why you always gotta be finding fault with Kob?
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ultimately I view it as a state function, it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get to the destination.

I think that view point is the general consensus when viewing records as well, although from time to time we see breakdowns of various records.

Most of the people don't care about the context in which the achievements were accomplished. So the average fan only care about who has the most.

But for those who will discuss this record with "more knowledgeable fans" who root for different players, there will always be someone to put things in perspective.

Here is one thing to consider, when Jordan was playing, Kareem already had his record established. So it's not like Jordan reached the top and then decided to retire. Jordan decided to retire (more than once) knowing he didn't hold the record but knowing he had the potential to reach it. So we can conclude that Jordan didn't care much about this.

Had Jordan decided to pursue this record and not retired the first few times, he would have much more points and would probably sit at the top. So when Kobe catches Jordan on this list, it will be a special moment for kobe fans and even for the average fan around the league. But that's it.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

LoLakers13 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Most of the people don't care about the context in which the achievements were accomplished. So the average fan only care about who has the most.

But for those who will discuss this record with "more knowledgeable fans" who root for different players, there will always be someone to put things in perspective.

Here is one thing to consider, when Jordan was playing, Kareem already had his record established. So it's not like Jordan reached the top and then decided to retire. Jordan decided to retire (more than once) knowing he didn't hold the record but knowing he had the potential to reach it. So we can conclude that Jordan didn't care much about this.

Had Jordan decided to pursue this record and not retired the first few times, he would have much more points and would probably sit at the top. So when Kobe catches Jordan on this list, it will be a special moment for kobe fans and even for the average fan around the league. But that's it.

Listen, spurstalk troll, you guys have just about milked the "everyone except Kobe/Lakers fans are knowledgeable fans with worthwhile opinions" meme dry. Maybe try another?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

If Kobe passes MJ we can say "we're #3. and #1".
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Listen, spurstalk troll, you guys have just about milked the "everyone except Kobe/Lakers fans are knowledgeable fans with worthwhile opinions" meme dry. Maybe try another?

I didn't say or even imply any of that. Please work on your reading comprehension and try again.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LoLakers13 wrote:
C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I didn't say or even imply any of that. Please work on your reading comprehension and try again.

No, the reading comprehension line isn't going to save you, mope. That's exactly what you implied.

You were marked the day you started trolling after the Lakers got swept by Dallas. Carry on, citizen.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No, the reading comprehension line isn't going to save you, mope. That's exactly what you implied.

You were marked the day you started trolling after the Lakers got swept by Dallas. Carry on, citizen.

You can accuse me of being a troll or a kobe hater but it doesn't change the validity of what I'm saying. Allow me to give some examples in order to help you understand my argument.

1) knowledgeable (or not) kobe fan talking to another knowledgeable (or not) kobe fan: *common bias makes knowledge irrelevant. If both people likes or dislikes something they won't need to produce good arguments.
- Kobe is great and he has more career points than jordan.
- Yes he is the best.. YAY!

2) knowledgeable (or not) kobe fan talking to a non knowledgeable non kobe fan:
- Kobe is a better scorer than Jordan.
- No he isn't.
- Look at their career total points. Kobe owns Jordan. Kobe the best scoring SG ever!
- I didn't know that, maybe you are right.

3) non knowledgeable kobe fan talking to a knowledgeable non kobe fan:
- No he isn't.
- Look at their career total points. Kobe owns Jordan. Kobe the best SG scorer ever!
- That only means kobe had a longer career and he shot more, made more shots, missed more shots and ended with more points. His total career points doesn't tell much about his efficiency as a scorer.

4) knowledgeable kobe fan talking to a knowledgeable non kobe fan:
- Kobe has more career points, but that alone doesn't make him a better scorer.
- Agreed, so lets compare their scoring abilities, efficiency, etc.
- Ok.

As the thread title clearly says, the record belongs to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I'll be impressed when someone takes it away from him. Beating the 32000 mark is not an easy feature but at the same time it's not that impressive to pass MJ considering the length of each player's career.

The fact that Jordan (and Wilt) are in the top 5 of that list, while playing much less only makes their scoring accomplishments more impressive.

I know kobe fans have been waiting for this for a long long long time. It's ok to enjoy this moment of kobe's career. But while he climbs this list, his position in a "top 10 players of all time" remains unchanged (and no, he is not number 1).
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LoLakers13 wrote:
C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
C M B wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You can accuse me of being a troll or a kobe hater but it doesn't change the validity of what I'm saying. Allow me to give some examples in order to help you understand my argument.

1) knowledgeable (or not) kobe fan talking to another knowledgeable (or not) kobe fan: *common bias makes knowledge irrelevant. If both people likes or dislikes something they won't need to produce good arguments.

- No he isn't.
- Look at their career total points. Kobe owns Jordan. Kobe the best scoring SG ever!

- No he isn't.
- Look at their career total points. Kobe owns Jordan. Kobe the best SG scorer ever!
- That only means kobe had a longer career and he shot more, made more shots, missed more shots and ended with more points. His total career points doesn't tell much about his efficiency as a scorer.

- Ok.

As the thread title clearly says, the record belongs to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I'll be impressed when someone takes it away from him. Beating the 32000 mark is not an easy feature but at the same time it's not that impressive to pass MJ considering the length of each player's career.

The fact that Jordan (and Wilt) are in the top 5 of that list, while playing much less only makes their scoring accomplishments more impressive.

I know kobe fans have been waiting for this for a long long long time. It's ok to enjoy this moment of kobe's career. But while he climbs this list, his position in a "top 10 players of all time" remains unchanged (and no, he is not number 1).

All of that and you could have just said...."You're correct CMB, I am a troll."
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

LoLakers13 wrote:

- No he isn't.

- No he isn't.

- Ok.

5) Knowledgeable fans to cartoonish Kobe hater who has sung the same single note for far too long: Adeus!!!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
LoLakers13 wrote:

- No he isn't.

- No he isn't.

- Ok.

5) Knowledgeable Kobe fans to cartoonish Kobe hater who has sung the same single note for far too long: Adeus!!!

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

hahahaah that troll got owned!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
hahahaah that troll got owned!

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I never understand why people get worked up about someone potentially breaking a record in 8-12 years.

The all-time points record is like climbing a mountain that gets steeper with every step you take. As Malone showed, even if you are only seemingly a year or two away, and going at full speed, you can be stopped in your tracks in a moment.

We're totally getting worked up dude.

I took an Ativan to calm down. My heart was racing when I read that Durant was 24 thousand points away.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If Kobe passes MJ we can say "we're #3. and #1".

Meanwhile - Kobe is #2 for pts scored with one franchise. He's like 4500 away from that one. And if he gets that, who knows...

Then again, you never know. Walter Payton retired only 1 or 2 touchdowns shy of that old Jim Brown NFL record.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Mah Brutha, and with all due respect, especially since you've been holding down the fort in the Ferguson thread. But, you need to stop treating Kobe like a red-headed step child. Of course Kobe catches MJ. Different circumstances, different career arcs, etc. But Kobe is a better scorer than MJ. Put Kobe on those Bulls teams with Kobe, starting from the get and with a green light, being able to clean out a side whenever he wanted, with the increased pace of play and points per possession, a shorter three point line, and all of the missed games for lockouts etc and yes, Kobe averages 30 ppg, not 26, and yes, he passes MJ either way. Why you always gotta be finding fault with Kob?

I'm a Kobe fan, I'm also a basketball enthusiast. Michael Jeffrey Jordan is what many basketball players, including Kobe, aspire to be, they "Wanna Be Like Mike,"

Kobe Bean Bryant is one of the GOAT but he's not Mike. LeBron is trying in a different way to surpass the greatness of Jordan. He'll make his mark but it will be his and IMO it won't eclipse the standard set by Mike.

You can speculate Kobe would have done what Mike did in 13 years that it's taken him 18 to accomplish but it would be just that, speculation.

It's my belief if Mike hadn't taken two years off from the game the Bulls would have tied the Celtics 8 straight ships. He'd 3peated, took two years off, came back and 3peated. Who's to say the Bulls wouldn't have won those two years if he'd been playing.

I'm not finding fault with Kobe, I love his game. I'm a Laker fan, not a Kobe fan. I think without him the Lakers wouldn't be in the basketball echelon they are. I also believe his time has come and now is passing. I want the team to prepare for the inevitable.

I put Kobe with the likes of Russell, Jabbar, Chamberlain, Dr J, Magic, Bird and likes. I'm not knocking him but IMO Jordan is the template.

Now if you want to ride the don't say anything about Kobe unless it's good bus, so be it. Get on it and ride baby ride.

By the Bye KBCB: My post is not bashing Kobe, it's a comparison to Michael.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

13 years? Jordan played 16 years. Where did that guy learn math? Florida school districts? Kobe is in his 19 years in the NBA, however he hardly played his rookie year, played in two lockout seasons and only played 6 games last year. Soooooooooo, yah, learn math buddy. It;s fundamental.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Kobe did everything well but shot selection in his career. Kobe took too many three's considering he is 50% from mid-range. That is why MJ always was around the 50% mark even after he slowed down going to the rim.

In this day and age where the mid range shot is non existent, Kobe should have used it more instead of going beyond the arc so much.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
13 years? Jordan played 16 years. Where did that guy learn math? Florida school districts? Kobe is in his 19 years in the NBA, however he hardly played his rookie year, played in two lockout seasons and only played 6 games last year. Soooooooooo, yah, learn math buddy. It;s fundamental.

My bad he played 15 years. LINK

Quote:
He played 15 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards.

Before you play resident smart ass get your facts straight.

1984–1993, 1995–1998 Chicago Bulls

2001–2003 Washington Wizards

Or did he play 13 years? LINK
Quote:
True, Michael wasn't what you would call an automatic three-point shooter, but he was never that throughout his career. In 13 seasons, Michael shot 33.2 percent for his career from beyond the three-point arc, but because of his greatness, once he got on a roll he could shoot you out of a game by hitting three-pointer after three-pointer. Once again though, that was developed over the 13 years.

Or did he play 17 years?

If you've joined LG to be insulting you're in for a jolt buddy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject:

Video clip of when Mailman passed Wilt for #2, about 14 years ago.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Quote:
He played 15 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards.

Or did he play 13 years? [b]LINK
Quote:
True, Michael wasn't what you would call an automatic three-point shooter, but he was never that throughout his career. In 13 seasons, Michael shot 33.2 percent for his career from beyond the three-point arc, but because of his greatness, once he got on a roll he could shoot you out of a game by hitting three-pointer after three-pointer. Once again though, that was developed over the 13 years[/b].

Or did he play 17 years?

That article was written before MJ came back to the Wizards.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
True, Michael wasn't what you would call an automatic three-point shooter, but he was never that throughout his career. In 13 seasons, Michael shot 33.2 percent for his career from beyond the three-point arc, but because of his greatness, once he got on a roll he could shoot you out of a game by hitting three-pointer after three-pointer. Once again though, that was developed over the 13 years[/b].

Or did he play 17 years?

You know, it would be easy to just go to basketball reference.com and count the years he played.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

For Jordan, it'd personally be about his ppg, being passed on total would be meh, he wasn't number 1 anyway

As for 3 pointers, if you've ever listened to Mike about it, it's because no one practiced them when he was a kid, they were considered gimmicky, it wasn't really until later in his career that the 3 became a thing. Take a look for example at Stockton's career shooting, he wasn't one of those jason kidd's who got better at shooting, he just wasn't any good at a shot he didn't practice early in his career.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or did he play 17 years?

You know, it would be easy to just go to basketball reference.com and count the years he played.

I didn't want to be mean. Not sure what some 2001 article has anything to do with it when you can just look it up.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see that LoLakers13 troll gone.

I noticed him from the first moment he posted. It's amazing he lasted this long with his shtick.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: