marc gasol mvp?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: marc gasol mvp?

It's early but if gasol keeps up his play and his team keeps playing how they're playing, can he win mvp?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject:

Him or Steph Curry should probably be the front runners right now. Both playing some amazing ball for their teams and maintaining impressive records. I'd add someone on the Raptors to the list, but I don't think the Raptors have had any standout performers.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Him or Steph Curry should probably be the front runners right now. Both playing some amazing ball for their teams and maintaining impressive records. I'd add someone on the Raptors to the list, but I don't think the Raptors have had any standout performers.

Yeah I agree. It's between curry and marc Gasol right now for me as well with a slight advantage to curry just because he's a bigger household name and overall just more spectacular.

Funny because I think the coach of the year award might come down to these two teams as well. Joerger vs Kerr. Casey in Toronto doing a mighty fine job also.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

They'll find a way to give it to Lebron.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:

As a spaniard, I can tell you most basketball fans here find Marc´s hype absolutely hilarious.

I truly believe (and this applies to his brother too) that stats do not reflect half of his contribution to the team, but when I watch one of his typical games, in which his 7 foot are not enough to allow him to CLEARLY outrebound , say, a 36 year old version of Kobe, a SG, and leaving his last two games aside, his offensive talents don´t prevent him from struggling to get 6 or 7 buckets, all I can do is shake my head in amazement because all the praise he´s receiving seems so strange.

Don´t misunderstand me. Marc is a great, great player, but a watered down version of Pau in every single aspect of the game except defense, and a huge dissapointment every time he faced an important game with Spain. I mean, Pau with his national team, taking responsability for them , has been one spectacular player, facing and clearly outplaying Duncan, Dirk, Howard, Love, Yao, etc. He did it every single time he faced a superstar.

On the other hand you got Marc, who becomes a puppy when he faces much lesser FIBA competition. He has collapsed under pressure every single time Pau didn´t join an FIBA competition, and that only happened in minor tournaments. When you watch them play together, you see a huge difference in both talents, and I am not talking about prime Pau, who is light years ahead of Marc. I´m talking about this last FIBA World Championship, with old Pau destroying Nene, Varejao,etc., while prime Marc could not hit a layup or grab a rebound for the sake of his soul.

And yes, he´s got the typical Gasol family IQ, fantastic offensive moves, outside shooting, court vision,etc., but really, MVP? The league is seriously bleep up if Marc, who is like 50 % of what Pau was, has a chance to win this trophy.

Last edited by vedanta on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
As a spaniard, I can tell you most basketball fans here find Marc´s hype absolutely hilarious.

I truly believe (and this applies to his brother too) that stats do not reflect half of his contribution to the team, but when I watch one of his typical games, in which his 7 foot are not enough to allow him to CLEARLY outrebound , say, a 36 year old version of Kobe, a SG, and leaving his last two games aside, his offensive talents don´t prevent him from struggling to get 6 or 7 buckets, all I can do is shake my head in amazement because all the praise he´s receiving.

Don´t misunderstand me. Marc is a great, great player, but a watered down version of Pau in every single aspect of the game except defense, and a huge dissapointment every time he faced an important game with Spain. I mean, Pau with his national team, taking responsability for them , has been one spectacular player, facing and clearly outplaying Duncan, Dirk, Howard, Love, Yao, etc. He did it every single time he faced a superstar.

On the other hand you got Marc, who becomes a puppy when he faces much lesser FIBA competition. He has collapsed under pressure every single time Pau didn´t join an FIBA competition, and that only happened in minor tournaments. When you watch them play together, you see a huge difference in both talents, and I am not talking about prime Pau, who is light years ahead Marc. I´m talking about this last FIBA World Championship, with old Pau destroying Nene, Varejao,etc., while prime Marc could not hit a layup or grab a rebound for the sake of his soul.

And yes, he´s got the typical Gasol family IQ, fantastic offensive moves, outside shooting, court vision,etc., but really, MVP? The league is seriously bleep up if Marc, who is like 50 % of what Pau was, has a chance to win this trophy.

Being an European as well, I agree on this side of the Atlantic that is the perception.

Looking a pure NBA context, Pau will always be dwarfed by Kobe (as much as Kukoc did not shine as much as Petro o Radja), while Gasol is no second to Zbo or Conley.
Shall MEM make it to the WCF and do something, instead of being swep by the Spurs, the legacy will build from that.
Pau can almost be confused with a stretch center or forward, or whatever, and Marc is labelled an old school centre.
The comparison will never be Pau vs Marc in the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:

I truly believe (and this applies to his brother too) that stats do not reflect half of his contribution to the team, but when I watch one of his typical games, in which his 7 foot are not enough to allow him to CLEARLY outrebound , say, a 36 year old version of Kobe, a SG, and leaving his last two games aside, his offensive talents don´t prevent him from struggling to get 6 or 7 buckets, all I can do is shake my head in amazement because all the praise he´s receiving seems so strange.

On the other hand you got Marc, who becomes a puppy when he faces much lesser FIBA competition. He has collapsed under pressure every single time Pau didn´t join an FIBA competition, and that only happened in minor tournaments. When you watch them play together, you see a huge difference in both talents, and I am not talking about prime Pau, who is light years ahead of Marc. I´m talking about this last FIBA World Championship, with old Pau destroying Nene, Varejao,etc., while prime Marc could not hit a layup or grab a rebound for the sake of his soul.

Well, the MVP has nothing to do with International basketball, so what happens in FIBA has no bearing.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Well, the MVP has nothing to do with International basketball, so what happens in FIBA has no bearing.

Yes, it has nothing to do with his game this NBA season, but it allows to have a proper perspective on Marc´s real level and especially on the league´s level this year.

A prime Pau, one of the most skilled bigs I´ve ever watched, who is light years ahead of his brother, was only a real MVP contender during 2010-11 for 2 or 3 months. Reading that Marc is on the 2014-15 MVP list with his watered down version of his brother´s talent is very clarifying. And hilarious, considering that this season an old and injured Pau is putting up 22-11-3-2 games like nothing, while for a prime Marc, a 22/11/3/2 game is something he usually gets once a month, when capable.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

In before the "we should've kept Marc" posts
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

Getting Pau was the right choice because he and Kobe were near their peaks of their careers around the same time....Having Marc and Kobe wouldn't have netted the same results since Marc is peaking around the downside of Kobe's career.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes, it has nothing to do with his game this NBA season, but it allows to have a proper perspective on Marc´s real level and especially on the league´s level this year.

A prime Pau, one of the most skilled bigs I´ve ever watched, who is light years ahead of his brother, was only a real MVP contender during 2010-11 for 2 or 3 months. Reading that Marc is on the 2014-15 MVP list with his watered down version of his brother´s talent is very clarifying. And hilarious, considering that this season an old and injured Pau is putting up 22-11-3-2 games like nothing, while for a prime Marc, a 22/11/3/2 game is something he usually gets once a month, when capable.

Well, it's unlikely that Marc will win the MVP this season, though. If he does, it would be of the Derrick Rose or Steve Nash variety where no one guy is jumping out from the pack for various reasons and the vote is split enough for it to go to him. I see what you're saying and agree that Marc isn't what I think of as an MVP-caliber player, though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:

Thanks for that take.

Personally, I'd love for Marc to disappoint while wearing the purple and gold!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Getting Pau was the right choice because he and Kobe were near their peaks of their careers around the same time....Having Marc and Kobe wouldn't have netted the same results since Marc is peaking around the downside of Kobe's career.

Ya but couldn't we have traded someone else other than Marc???? Like sun yue
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Lakers supposedly tried to keep Marc (makes sense, he was the euro league MVP then and was Pau's brother) but the Grizzlies insisted on both him and Critt. It would have been amazing to have the Gasol brothers, but alas, Memphis knew what they were doing too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Lakers supposedly tried to keep Marc (makes sense, he was the euro league MVP then and was Pau's brother) but the Grizzlies insisted on both him and Critt. It would have been amazing to have the Gasol brothers, but alas, Memphis knew what they were doing too.

When the trade went down it was universally (and I mean 100%) felt that the Lakers absolutely and unequivocally bent over Memphis and fleeced them. Now we're asking retroactively if we could have fleeced them even worse by forcing on them players that were trash even by the standards of that 2007 roster? Good ole' LG.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

I actually thought about mentioning pau when I made the op but given the fact that marc is in the west and his team is over achieving right now I don't see how pau is going to beat him out in a race for mvp. Not to mention pau tends to get injuries here and there often that keep him out of games which we've already seen this season.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

When the trade went down it was universally (and I mean 100%) felt that the Lakers absolutely and unequivocally bent over Memphis and fleeced them. Now we're asking retroactively if we could have fleeced them even worse by forcing on them players that were trash even by the standards of that 2007 roster? Good ole' LG.

Quite a few of us, me included, were saying Memphis got out good too. They wanted to slash salary, and they got good young prospects to boot. Haters around the league were just so upset at the Lakers getting a player like Pau to see Memphis did the right thing.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Quite a few of us, me included, were saying Memphis got out good too. They wanted to slash salary, and they got good young prospects to boot. Haters around the league were just so upset at the Lakers getting a player like Pau to see Memphis did the right thing.

Don't forget that they used that cap space to get Zach Randolph, who turned out to be just as good for them as Pau, if not even better.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

If he has the numbers and his squad is at the top of the toughest conference and a division winner, dude should get serious consideration. That's been the criteria for a while now.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Davis is the better player and is more deserving.

But yes Gasol can win it because voters overrate the importance of team records when voting for this award. See Steve Nash winning it over Kobe twice.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Curry will win the MVP. He's the best PG in the game and a top 3 player in the league.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Jimmy Butler is a sleeper. Dude is killing it.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Curry will win the MVP. He's the best PG in the game and a top 3 player in the league.

Curry is the media darling, which is probably the most important part when there isnt a runaway train.

Davis' teams don't win enough, Boogie's the same, Gasol is too boring, Harden they hate, really only leaves Curry without Lebron or Durant lapping the field.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

If Anthony Davis doesn't win the MVP or DPOY award this year something is wrong. Best player in the NBA right now IMO
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
If Anthony Davis doesn't win the MVP or DPOY award this year something is wrong. Best player in the NBA right now IMO

You'll never win DPOY while your team is rolling around in the bottom 10 defenses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: