Best C prospect 2015 Draft: Towns or Okafor? (& others)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd say the jumping over the other guys head to block the shot says a bit as to why he'd be a perfect fit next to Randle. Having them as your 3/4 rotation of the future would be quite a prospect. They'd outright bully the guys at their positions within a few years and all we would need really long term would be as defensive center to stick behind them. IF Winslow keeps growing as a defender and Randle continues to work on it then put a defensive 5 behind them and you have a good foundation.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I'd say the jumping over the other guys head to block the shot says a bit as to why he'd be a perfect fit next to Randle. Having them as your 3/4 rotation of the future would be quite a prospect. They'd outright bully the guys at their positions within a few years and all we would need really long term would be as defensive center to stick behind them. IF Winslow keeps growing as a defender and Randle continues to work on it then put a defensive 5 behind them and you have a good foundation.

And imagine if EITHER of them gets a defensive rebound, it's rebound and PUSH. Having a 3 and a 4 who can both start a break themselves creates easy offense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
MJST wrote:

And imagine if EITHER of them gets a defensive rebound, it's rebound and PUSH. Having a 3 and a 4 who can both start a break themselves creates easy offense.

Exactly!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'm not totally convinced of Winslow just yet.

I can't stand the ball-handling. Love the D, motor, and court awareness. But, even a consistent jumpshot just makes him two-dimensional on offense.

Bigger Alec Burks? James Posey?

not every wing out there is gonna be lebron. i think the basic one-man-fast-break stuff he shows in the second vine in this article is good enough(for this point in his freshman year).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24833646/surprisingly-its-justise-winslow-not-jahlil-okfar-whos-been-dukes-best-freshman

if he improves it by the end of the season, even better

Ball-handling is one of the most difficult things to improve on. All of the great isolation moves are learned in teenage years.

We needed Jodie Meeks to become a better ball-handler. You know what? He did, but he can't change directions on the fly. He's still a straight-line driver.

That's how defenses draw charges.

Great playmakers can change directions twice on dribble penetration. This is one quality that I didn't like out of Marcus Smart, but did like out of Elfrid Payton.

It's also the reason why elite level athletes like Derozan aren't 25-30ppg scorers. He's simply not dynamic enough on the drive. Carmelo compensates with post play.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'd rather have an elite rebounding point guard, than a great ball-handling center or PF.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Easy competition for Okafor, but scores 24.

Doesn't jump high at all, but he jumps QUICK. Wingspan and hands. Should be a great finisher in the NBA.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Offensively, in the post Okafor is great but his defense is a major concern. He just doesn't have the physical tools to be a great defender. The game has changed, difficult to be great at C without a jumpshot or being an elite rim protecter.

I like him as a prospect but wouldn't take him 1st because of his defensive limitations. Will he be able to finish over 7'0 C's in the league or bully players? That remains to be seen.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

I don't think he can be an elite rim protector. Average? Sure.

Finish over 7' centers? I don't see that as an issue. The beginning of the NCAA season is basically, practice.

But, name other 7' centers with that much strength at a young age, and his post skill?

Why wouldn't he be able to finish over 7' centers?

He actually has the tools to be a good defender. Why not? Great timing, quick off his feet, massive wingspan. No different from Pau, except this time, Okafor actually has some muscle.

Oh, and he's developing his midrange game already. His FT stroke is already changed and he's looking comfortable out there.

7'5" wingspan with 9'3" reach? That's plenty.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'd rather have an elite rebounding point guard, than a great ball-handling center or PF.

I'd agree - Rondo's rebounding ability is one of the main reasons I love him.

Also agree with you on Okafor. Stud.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

For what it's worth, Okafor had absolutely no trouble scoring over the length of Kaminsky and Wisconsin, one of the biggest teams in the country. Foul trouble was the only thing that limited the damage he was able to do.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Finish over 7' centers? I don't see that as an issue. The beginning of the NCAA season is basically, practice.

But, name other 7' centers with that much strength at a young age, and his post skill?

He actually has the tools to be a good defender. Why not? Great timing, quick off his feet, massive wingspan. No different from Pau, except this time, Okafor actually has some muscle.

Oh, and he's developing his midrange game already. His FT stroke is already changed and he's looking comfortable out there.

I would settle for average.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
For what it's worth, Okafor had absolutely no trouble scoring over the length of Kaminsky and Wisconsin, one of the biggest teams in the country. Foul trouble was the only thing that limited the damage he was able to do.

Kaminsky exploited his lack of lateral agility along the perimeter, hence pointing out that he'll be an average defender at best with pick and roll situations and triple threat centers.

Kaminsky is tall and long, but didn't really have the strength and endurance to compete against Okafor.

He did put Okafor in some foul trouble though.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I would settle for average.

Ditto. I'm fine with 1.5 - 2 blocks per game, which should be realistic for Okafor.

As long as he can rebound effectively with great position D and occasionally swat, that's fine by me.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Kaminsky exploited his lack of lateral agility along the perimeter, hence pointing out that he'll be an average defender at best with pick and roll situations and triple threat centers.

Kaminsky is tall and long, but didn't really have the strength and endurance to compete against Okafor.

He did put Okafor in some foul trouble though.

2 of his 4 fouls came on guard penetration from what I remember. And one of those was a fairly bogus call.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Do it Mitch
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

And this interview too.

Would LOVE to draft this guy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Are we scouting for the Phoenix Suns pick? Doubtful that the Lakers will retain their pick this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Are we scouting for the Phoenix Suns pick? Doubtful that the Lakers will retain their pick this year.

Doubtful?

Oh please, we're not even on pace for last season's win total.

Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

Doubtful?

Phili Knicks pistons twolves Hornets jazz lakers. We may beat Hornets and jazz but if any team moves up in the lottery (likely) we're screwed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

Doubtful?

Phili Knicks pistons twolves Hornets jazz lakers. We may beat Hornets and jazz but if any team moves up in the lottery (likely) we're screwed.

We just won a couple games up late.

But we're 1/4 of the season through with 7 wins.

On pace for 24 total wins.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Nice breakdown on Towns' defensive game against Texas. His effort on D is why I have him above Jahlil
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I've changed my stance on Okafor. I think if he's there we have to take him. Even though we still don't have an elite pg I think the future of the NBA is headed back to the bigman. ive also noticed that okafor can score from 12-15 feet as well. He would look great with randle but the defense wouldn't be that great
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I've changed my stance on Okafor. I think if he's there we have to take him. Even though we still don't have an elite pg I think the future of the NBA is headed back to the bigman. ive also noticed that okafor can score from 12-15 feet as well. He would look great with randle but the defense wouldn't be that great

Which is why I'd opt for Towns over Okafor. Better defensive potential and his offense while not as polished is more versatile
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

since the lakers are not about a long rebuild and this is hopefully and probably the last time in a very long time where they have a chance to get their hands on an elite rookie prospect, I wouldn't mess around and go for the safest pick - okafor.

you can argue whether or not towns has a chance to be a better player down the line, but I don't see the difference as worth the risk for this team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

That and-1 dribble drive from half-court at about the 55 second mark
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: