Mom writes touching letter to Celtics Gerald Wallace for talking to her disabled son

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Mom writes touching letter to Celtics Gerald Wallace for talking to her disabled son

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-11-26/gerald-wallace-letter-down-syndrome-boston-celtics?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain

Quote:
Mom writes touching letter to Gerald Wallace

You never know what a simple act of kindness can do for a person. Talking to a fan for a few minutes has the potential to change a person's life.

Gerald Wallace may never know what having a conversation with a young boy meant to him. Sharon Randall wrote a letter on The Mighty thanking Wallace for not seeing her son's disability.

Thank you for sitting and talking with my son, Davis. Although, for you, this was just a moment in time before heading off to your work as a basketball player on the Boston Celtics, for us it was a glimpse of our boy living his dream.

I don’t know if Davis mentioned it or not, but he wants to be a professional basketball player too. Although the slim odds for making it into the NBA would discourage most, Davis will not be deterred. His optimism is one of his best qualities.

This may be one of the most challenging things about being Davis’s mom. How do I encourage his dreams, knowing that his aspirations are beyond his reach? Do we get to a point when we’re sitting at the table when he’s 30 years old and he’s finally acknowledged it isn’t going to happen? Or will we still be talking 20 years from now about what round of the draft he’ll get picked in? Does it matter to him? Does it only matter to me?

I know our society doesn’t value individuals like Davis, slow in mind and body, but Davis doesn’t know that. He knows our society values professional athletes, and so he plans to join your ranks, not only for love of the game, but for its reward as well. Did he tell you about the mansion he’s planning to build with his NBA salary?

So as we navigate the terrain of guiding this child as he grows, we thank you for giving us a story to sustain his dreams and bridge the gap. We’ll talk of the time when he sat with Gerald Wallace, and shot a hoop or two, and hope that gets him – and us – close enough.

A small act of kindness goes a long way.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

my eyes are leaking
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Nice.
JaySole
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

That's very touching
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject:

I hate it when a Celtic does something nice. Why can't they just stay obnoxious like Red?
Kobeling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Giving this boy false hope won't help him at all. This will only slow down the development of skills that actually matters and could help him get a real job.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobeling wrote:
Giving this boy false hope won't help him at all. This will only slow down the development of skills that actually matters and could help him get a real job.

cmon man... just ban yourself or something
Kobeling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:
Kobeling wrote:

WTF! Kobe is the hardest working person I've ever seen and even Kobe knows that sometimes hard work is not enough. It's better when we know our limitations so that we avoid wasting time and resources following impossible dreams.
ODotSoHot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobeling wrote:
salami wrote:
Kobeling wrote:

what the heck! Kobe is the hardest working person I've ever seen and even Kobe knows that sometimes hard work is not enough. It's better when we know our limitations so that we avoid wasting time and resources following impossible dreams.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/01/jack_nicholson_going_crazy-26036.gif
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
I hate it when a Celtic does something nice. Why can't they just stay obnoxious like Red?

Does it help to think GW is in Brad Stevens' doghouse?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

She definitely would want the D.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Kobeling wrote:
salami wrote:
Kobeling wrote:

what the heck! Kobe is the hardest working person I've ever seen and even Kobe knows that sometimes hard work is not enough. It's better when we know our limitations so that we avoid wasting time and resources following impossible dreams.

A text from Silverbullet?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: