"Front Office still believes making 8th Seed this year more important than getting Top 5 Pick next year"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do Lakers Fans prefer?
Make the 8th Seed this Year
22%
 22%  [ 33 ]
Get a Top 5 Draft Pick next Year
77%
 77%  [ 114 ]
Total Votes : 147

Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Ramona is doing the same thing Mitch did when talking about contending. She's lying. The team and its pet reporters are simply putting a good face on it.

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sure. Anyone expects Mitch to tell Ramona "Yeah I rather see my team lose than win?". Come on. Mitch said at season's start the goal was to win a championship.

They are many things but the FO is not unrealistic about the talent they have. They know the team they have is a 30 win type of ballclub. And they much rather get the pick if they miss out on the playoffs.

I understand all of the above, but my personal experiences in life have caused me to be quite skeptical about people.

When people are attempting to blow smoke past me, I don't appreciate it and from my POV they have compromised their future credibility.

I think that they know that some people such as myself will be turned off by what they are doing and they have chosen to accept it.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
zePokar wrote:
There is no chance they're that stupid.

Although I woudn't bet all my money that we keep our pick at the end of the season. I wish they'd make moves to guarantee it but they won't.

This is the same FO that was impressed enough by Mike Brown to hire him, then chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson and those are just two of the recent atrocities that they've been responsible for. That's why I'm not so sure this is actually a stealth tank job. I think they thought they were building a competitive team and thought they hired a good coach in B Scott. So much for that!

Agree 100%! Sure we got shafted by the CP3 veto, but we still had valuable pieces on the team that at least could have been traded for, yielding something in return. The Mike Brown hire set us back a few years, however we still had a good team on the court. Now when "whoever" hired MDA over Phil, that move alone could easily set this franchise back a complete decade. Does anybody remember how much damage Rick Petino did to the Celtics?!?! When you hire a coach that pretty much runs all your valuable assets away, leaving you with the junk we have now, then somebody needs to held accountable....and all I hear from the FO is blame-shifting & lies!!!
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Although I woudn't bet all my money that we keep our pick at the end of the season. I wish they'd make moves to guarantee it but they won't.

This is the same FO that was impressed enough by Mike Brown to hire him, then chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson and those are just two of the recent atrocities that they've been responsible for. That's why I'm not so sure this is actually a stealth tank job. I think they thought they were building a competitive team and thought they hired a good coach in B Scott. So much for that!

Agree 100%! Sure we got shafted by the CP3 veto, but we still had valuable pieces on the team that at least could have been traded for, yielding something in return. The Mike Brown hire set us back a few years, however we still had a good team on the court. Now when "whoever" hired MDA over Phil, that move alone could easily set this franchise back a complete decade. Does anybody remember how much damage Rick Petino did to the Celtics?!?! When you hire a coach that pretty much runs all your valuable assets away, leaving you with the junk we have now, then somebody needs to held accountable....and all I hear from the FO is blame-shifting & lies!!!

Well said. This rebuild didnt have to happen. Howard, Gasol (maybe) with Phil Jackson + some cap space sure has a lot more upside than this mess.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Just because this plan is idiotic doesn't make it untrue. This FO has made so many, many mistakes in the past few years so we can't rule this plan just because we all know its a terrible idea.

I don't pay attention to Ramona Shelbourne or John Ireland for their insights or analysis.

Instead, I listen to them because they have access to important people in the Lakers organization.

You listen to them for the same reasons you read the People's Daily, the mouthpiece for the Chinese communist party: not for analysis or information, but for what it told you what the chinese communist party, or in our case, what the Lakers FO, was thinking.

If Shelbourne is reporting this, then that's what the FO is telling her.

It can either mean that that is what the Lakers FO really believes or that the Lakers FO is feeding her misinformation.

But, what would be the point of misinformation? The team's a mess, and the Lakers PR manipulation doesn't change anything.

If, however, the Lakers made a trade or something to position them for that 8th playoff spot instead of tanking, it would accomplish several things:

1) a Lakers team that was striving for the playoffs would mean more viewers, which is really important to the Buss family when their fortune is more or less directly tied into the Lakers.

The Lakers deal with Time Warner depends on viewership- the more viewers, the more the Buss family gets paid.

2) even if the Lakers barely miss the playoffs, the draft pick they'd give up to the Suns wouldn't be that high of a draft pick.

3) The Lakers FO MO has been all about superstars. The Lakers would prefer a superstar player over developing rookies.

You could argue that a top 5 draft pick this year is important for the Lakers future, but Jim Buss is under a time line to turn around this team. By the time that draft pick develops, it would be too late for Jim Buss and he wouldn't be running the team so he doesn't really care about a top 5 pick this year.

After all, we're talking about the same guy who bypassed Phil Jackson because he had a poor relationship with Jackson even if Jackson would have been better for the Lakers.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Just because this plan is idiotic doesn't make it untrue. This FO has made so many, many mistakes in the past few years so we can't rule this plan just because we all know its a terrible idea.

I don't pay attention to Ramona Shelbourne or John Ireland for their insights or analysis.

Instead, I listen to them because they have access to important people in the Lakers organization.

You listen to them for the same reasons you read the People's Daily, the mouthpiece for the Chinese communist party: not for analysis or information, but for what it told you what the chinese communist party, or in our case, what the Lakers FO, was thinking.

If Shelbourne is reporting this, then that's what the FO is telling her.

It can either mean that that is what the Lakers FO really believes or that the Lakers FO is feeding her misinformation.

But, what would be the point of misinformation? The team's a mess, and the Lakers PR manipulation doesn't change anything.

If, however, the Lakers made a trade or something to position them for that 8th playoff spot instead of tanking, it would accomplish several things:

1) a Lakers team that was striving for the playoffs would mean more viewers, which is really important to the Buss family when their fortune is more or less directly tied into the Lakers.

The Lakers deal with Time Warner depends on viewership- the more viewers, the more the Buss family gets paid.

2) even if the Lakers barely miss the playoffs, the draft pick they'd give up to the Suns wouldn't be that high of a draft pick.

3) The Lakers FO MO has been all about superstars. The Lakers would prefer a superstar player over developing rookies.

You could argue that a top 5 draft pick this year is important for the Lakers future, but Jim Buss is under a time line to turn around this team. By the time that draft pick develops, it would be too late for Jim Buss and he wouldn't be running the team so he doesn't really care about a top 5 pick this year.

After all, we're talking about the same guy who bypassed Phil Jackson because he had a poor relationship with Jackson even if Jackson would have been better for the Lakers.

I've gotten the impression that the Lakers (wrongly) think that their fans can't handle the idea of rebuilding. Kupchak's transparent comments before the season about competing for a championship suggest this as well. The message that they're always going to put forth is that they're going to compete. I have no idea if that message is mirrored by reality as well.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Lol at making the 8th seed so the Warriors or Grizzlies can beat us by 30 every game and Suns get our pick. I'll pass. Legit might have the worst FO in the league.

You're aware that the Suns pick and Houston's pick would be close to one another if the Lakers made the playoffs.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject:

What's important to fans?

Winning games. Want to see the lakers go on an amazing run. Get into the playoffs and shock the world.

But reality says otherwise, hate seeing the team lose almost every game, but at the end of the season, that top 5 pick will make all the pain of the regular season a little less. Will definitely feel worse with a 4-0 sweep in round one. We've been there, its not fun at all.

Honestly, though, I would give up the top 5 pick for advancing to round 2 or even taking the 1 seed to seven games. The excitement would be worth it.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject:

So lets say they keep their pick this year. That means the Suns get it next year unless Lakers get a top 3 pick. How much better / worse are they going to be next year? What if there are injuries? Is the draft class going to be much worse or better? Would everyone be on team tank again next year???

At some point they are going to have to give the Suns the pick and you would hope that it's non-lottery.
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject:

Like many others said, it is all PR.. Mitch isn't dumb. He knows they need to tank, but can't afford to hurt the Lakers brand in the process

IG: wywsabaywb
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
kwase wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Well said. This rebuild didnt have to happen. Howard, Gasol (maybe) with Phil Jackson + some cap space sure has a lot more upside than this mess.

Again with the fantasy that Howard had the slightest bit of interest in being a Laker. I said it before they traded for him, he didn't want to be here. The fact that fans are still crying about him leaving is a good example of how gullible some fans are. Add the fact that people are still crying about Phil not coaching when it should be obvious to everyone that he is done. And cap space with those contracts? That is the biggest fantasy of all. I realize that doesn't fit the whine so it is just easier to ignore things like that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
kwase wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Again with the fantasy that Howard had the slightest bit of interest in being a Laker. I said it before they traded for him, he didn't want to be here. The fact that fans are still crying about him leaving is a good example of how gullible some fans are. Add the fact that people are still crying about Phil not coaching when it should be obvious to everyone that he is done. And cap space with those contracts? That is the biggest fantasy of all. I realize that doesn't fit the whine so it is just easier to ignore things like that.

IIRC Howard had the Lakers on his short list of destinations. I think he would have liked to be here; only problem for him was that he didn't want Kobe here. So that's that. It wasn't the locale or market that he didn't like, it was Kobe. And obviously that was a non-starter for the Lakers.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

I was under the impression that even if we keep the pick this year, their rights to our pick just get differed onto a future season or am I wrong on that?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Captain America wrote:
I was under the impression that even if we keep the pick this year, their rights to our pick just get differed onto a future season or am I wrong on that?

Yes, the obligation to Phoenix will eventually need to be taken care of.

Future Traded Pick Details

Quote:

2015 first round draft pick to Phoenix
L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 and 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Captain America wrote:

Quote:

L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 and 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

Thanks for the info, so yea that makes the choice pretty easy, no reason to tank might as well make the pick as weak as possible and get it over with.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

So the Lakers FO is either lieing to the fans repeatedly or mis-evaluating roster talent. Those are two bad choices.

lf you're being optimistic you have to think Mitch is lieing. But that's not really a good thing. Lies are like roaches, for everyone you see there are a ton more hiding.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Front office is going to say what ever they feel they need to say to keep people paying.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Front office is going to say what ever they feel they need to say to keep people paying.

It is a good strategy for shaking responsibility. Kobe and Scott are set up nicely as fall guys.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

as has been said before, Wes Johnson was a #4 pick...

I don't think they're going to get a top five pick, there's too many awful teams and if Mitch does swing a trade during the season to bring in 1 or 2 actual GOOD players, they'll win too many games to be in the bottom 5 and will end up in the bottom 10 again and we would need Cleveland's lottery luck to get in the top group.

But, if Mitch can bring in a few rotation guys for the future during this season, then pick up some free agents in the offseason, they can be competitive next year and then do the same the next season, bring in one or two solid pieces during the season and then try to bring in better pieces during the next free agency - somewhat like Dallas has done, just keep picking up pieces over a couple of years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

^ name all the Lakers lottery picks in the past 15 years. Unless you want To say that all front offices are created alike I have faith with a top 5 pick mitch will nail it. I hope we don't make a trade by burning further assets. Suck more for Okafor.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

If this team doesn't get a top 5 pick, that will just be another major setback. Lakers won't recover for a while.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
kwase wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
zePokar wrote:

IIRC Howard had the Lakers on his short list of destinations. I think he would have liked to be here; only problem for him was that he didn't want Kobe here. So that's that. It wasn't the locale or market that he didn't like, it was Kobe. And obviously that was a non-starter for the Lakers.

Howard isn't a guy that will held accountable so he would have been a failure as the face of the franchise. The mistake was trading for him, not him walking away.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

Captain America wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Captain America wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info, so yea that makes the choice pretty easy, no reason to tank might as well make the pick as weak as possible and get it over with.

Atop 5 pick is greater than no pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
as has been said before, Wes Johnson was a #4 pick...

I don't think they're going to get a top five pick, there's too many awful teams and if Mitch does swing a trade during the season to bring in 1 or 2 actual GOOD players, they'll win too many games to be in the bottom 5 and will end up in the bottom 10 again and we would need Cleveland's lottery luck to get in the top group.

But, if Mitch can bring in a few rotation guys for the future during this season, then pick up some free agents in the offseason, they can be competitive next year and then do the same the next season, bring in one or two solid pieces during the season and then try to bring in better pieces during the next free agency - somewhat like Dallas has done, just keep picking up pieces over a couple of years.

I would like to know who we will trade to bring in some good players. Having two starters locked up at $8-9 mil combined is pure gold with this CBA. That value seems to be underappreciated.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ name all the Lakers lottery picks in the past 15 years. Unless you want To say that all front offices are created alike I have faith with a top 5 pick mitch will nail it. I hope we don't make a trade by burning further assets. Suck more for Okafor.

yeah... but... Greg Oden anyone? Hasheem Thabeet was a #2 pick. Michael Beasley was a #2 who turned out to be a mental case. Look what happened this year, one game, boom! Randle goes out for the season. There's a reason they're called "lottery" picks, you can pick the "right" guy for your draft position and still not get the results you were hoping for.

I'd love to have a lottery pick this season but, look at the other teams, they are equally as awful and Philly isn't giving up that top losing spot to anyone so now we're really competing for 1 of 4 slots OR getting Cleveland type luck in the actual lottery.

That's why, if Mitch can use whatever resources he can to pick up one or two solid players during the season, he should do it, even if they improve us enough to cost us that bottom 5 slot in the standings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yeah... but... Greg Oden anyone? Hasheem Thabeet was a #2 pick. Michael Beasley was a #2 who turned out to be a mental case. Look what happened this year, one game, boom! Randle goes out for the season. There's a reason they're called "lottery" picks, you can pick the "right" guy for your draft position and still not get the results you were hoping for.

I'd love to have a lottery pick this season but, look at the other teams, they are equally as awful and Philly isn't giving up that top losing spot to anyone so now we're really competing for 1 of 4 slots OR getting Cleveland type luck in the actual lottery.

That's why, if Mitch can use whatever resources he can to pick up one or two solid players during the season, he should do it, even if they improve us enough to cost us that bottom 5 slot in the standings.

To marginally "improve" we'd have to trade future assets. We have already mortgaged enough. Time to bottom out. Mitch doesn't mess up with top picks. I will gladly give him a top 5 pick. I doubt he would pick Hasheem Thabeet for example. Oden was a freak medical issue. But what about Anthony davis? Or any top of 5 pick (too many to name ) that flourished?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: