GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11-26-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11-26-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post them here. Thanks! Nice to see the Lakers giving up just 80 points after three quarters vs. 110.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

We sucked.

Couldn't by a basket in the 4th even though there was good play. Pau would have been killing it in this version of the Princeton. Seeing Hill at the High Post made me miss Pau more. Hill just can see over the defense to make passes like Pau could.

Even though where I am Thanksgiving is not celebrated, Happy Thanksgiving LG! Don't kill each other on Friday though.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."

Last edited by DShotMaker1824 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Very close! Bad luck plus bad rotation timing!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

First Half

- After an early made jumper, they go to Boozer again in the post early and get nothing good out of it. He's quite aggressive in getting his own shot, but gets taken advantage of inside. Thankfully he picks up two quick fouls and Davis comes in.
- Lin starts out hot, and hits some shots out off of screens. This gets his confidence up and his play becomes more decisive and assertive as a result.
- Memphis still can't figure out what to do when Kobe plays 20 feet off Tony Allen, and their offense suffers as a result
- Kobe moving the ball and letting others run the offense, as both Lin and Hill have it going. Plus, he knows he's not going to get anything easy on Allen.
- Davis is amped up to be vsing his former team and his play reflects that. Two back to back highlight reel blocks leading to a bucket on the other end. Also skies for a tip-in
- The Lakers run a variation on their usual high pick where instead of the inevitable long two from a big, they go to the weakside for another high pick. Should be a more efficient play overall even though it probably results in another pop.
- Laker bigs are still playing too far forward on defense, giving up a lot of inside penetration. This really needs to be fixed.
- Byron subbed Lin out early even when he was hot. Fortunately, Ronnie Price comes in and gives an initial shot in the arm, with steals, drawn charges, transition buckets (including a big dunk), and penetration.
- Thankfully Byron finally gives Kobe a rest in the 1st, which he obviously should have been doing all season.
- Glad to see Ellington out there, but not glad to see Byron bring back the stupid Floppy set with him. Misses a long two off of it. Other time, ends up trying to run a sideline pick and roll and predictably turns it over.
- With 80's half court ball back in vogue, Memphis starts to chip away at the lead.
- Kobe comes back in and his eyes light up when he sees Poindexter is playing him straight up, and goes into Mamba iso mode with some mixed results with the inconsistent reffing. He gets away with stuff he shouldn't have and doesn't get the calls he should. Still gets some buckets out of it, although the offense becomes more stagnant.
- I think Memphis decides to hold Allen out because their spacing is being killed by him. But aren't getting much shooting from his replacements. Conley keeping Memphis in the game by hitting jumpers in Lin's eye.

Second Half

- Kobe looks like he hurt his hand early and has trouble handling the ball for a few minutes. Seems to recover later though.
- The Memphis bigs start to assert themselves at both ends and eventually even up the score. Gasol is just really good. They eventually have to go to a Sacre Davis lineup to slow them down a bit.
- Kobe hits some timely jumpers and threes to keep the Lakers in it. Also scores in the post over Poindexter.
- Lakers ball movement looks better overall because everyone doesn't just stop in place when the initial action doesn't work, they go into a secondary action. However, Memphis still pulls ahead.
- Price gets two important layups over Gasol to keep them in it. Memphis misses some wide open threes, hit some contested ones.
- Byron goes with an all bench lineup until 8 min left in the fourth, and run the offense through Swaggy. Lakers down five when Kobe and Swaggy come back in. Why not Lin?
- Kobe goes ref baiting on Poindexter again and draws a foul, draining them both. Quincy looks frustrated.
- Lin finally back with 6 min left, drives in traffic and misses it. Davis also misses a layup.
- Both teams have a tough time scoring. Wes, playing PF down the stretch, takes matters into his own hands by jacking up a brick and then fouling at the other end. Does Byron leave him in when the big Grizz frontcourt comes back?
- Hill comes in for Davis, which I'm not so sure is a good idea. Kobe misses a postup, Nick misses a jumper off high post split. Hill misses inside. Finally Kobe breaks the drought with a pretty left handed layup. Unfortunately the Grizz have been hitting short jumpers.
- Good hustle play from Lin to get back in transition to get a steal leads to Swaggy being fouled on a transition 3. Lakers within 3.
- Zach and Tony Allen nowhere to be seen down the stretch. Don't know if they're hurt or not.
- Finally they come to a point where Lakers probably should help on a long 2 from a big, but Gasol reads it, lets Nick go back to his man, and drains it.
- Lin bricks a ft, so Lakers down four. Get in transition and Kobe tries to hit a hero 3, and misses badly. Probably a good gamble given the score and because he was open.
- Zach finally is back in and Lakers are down 4 with 49 seconds, MEM ball. Gasol misses a long 2, Lin hesitates too long before giving it to Kobe, who tries to squeeze a pass inside to Hill but gets intercepted. That's pretty much the game there aside from some more missed threes.

A fun game, but Lakers lose to a better team, who hit their shots down the stretch. Some real play calls in the end would have helped, because they looked disorganized on offense. They generally are going to look better against teams without a lot of outside shooting. Some positives to take away from this is that they've made some strides in their off ball movement and sharing the ball.

Last edited by fiendishoc on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

We lost by 6 points to a 13-2 team that has not lost to a WC team.

We're getting there folks!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Nick needs to find his shot again. The last couple games have been ugly and swag free.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks, fiendishoc! Nice work again!

Lakers are competitive. But still losing. Strange and uncomfortable.
Perhaps we are just a piece away from getting there?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
H0B0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject:

THX GO LAKERS
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

No talent team playing stupidly, no Ws.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

DB This thread is useless and of a truly low quality on the nights you can't do it. I say just don't have it at all, or wait until you can review it. We understand you can't witness every game in real time. It's really a testament to the time and effort you put into it, as opposed to an indictment of everyone else's inability to even come close to it. I just constantly find myself disappointed in the DIY thread. I'd rather wait for you to make a report later, than not have one with any true quality.
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.

Juelz Santana - "The Second Coming"
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

This was like a game of 6 year olds.

Everyone plays.
Share the ball.
Kids are happy.
We lose again.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

Happy Thanksgiving all.

WE NEED MORE TALENT.
Until then, tank, baby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:

Everyone plays.
Share the ball.
Kids are happy.
We lose again.

That's what it felt like.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

GO LAKERS! (in 2015-16)
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:
DB This thread is useless and of a truly low quality on the nights you can't do it. I say just don't have it at all, or wait until you can review it. We understand you can't witness every game in real time. It's really a testament to the time and effort you put into it, as opposed to an indictment of everyone else's inability to even come close to it. I just constantly find myself disappointed in the DIY thread. I'd rather wait for you to make a report later, than not have one with any true quality.

Why would DB want to watch an old game that the Lakers lost? Give him a break man.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
First Half

- After an early made jumper, they go to Boozer again in the post early and get nothing good out of it. He's quite aggressive in getting his own shot, but gets taken advantage of inside. Thankfully he picks up two quick fouls and Davis comes in.
- Lin starts out hot, and hits some shots out off of screens. This gets his confidence up and his play becomes more decisive and assertive as a result.
- Memphis still can't figure out what to do when Kobe plays 20 feet off Tony Allen, and their offense suffers as a result
- Kobe moving the ball and letting others run the offense, as both Lin and Hill have it going. Plus, he knows he's not going to get anything easy on Allen.
- Davis is amped up to be vsing his former team and his play reflects that. Two back to back highlight reel blocks leading to a bucket on the other end. Also skies for a tip-in
- The Lakers run a variation on their usual high pick where instead of the inevitable long two from a big, they go to the weakside for another high pick. Should be a more efficient play overall even though it probably results in another pop.
- Laker bigs are still playing too far forward on defense, giving up a lot of inside penetration. This really needs to be fixed.
- Byron subbed Lin out early even when he was hot. Fortunately, Ronnie Price comes in and gives an initial shot in the arm, with steals, drawn charges, transition buckets (including a big dunk), and penetration.
- Thankfully Byron finally gives Kobe a rest in the 1st, which he obviously should have been doing all season.
- Glad to see Ellington out there, but not glad to see Byron bring back the stupid Floppy set with him. Misses a long two off of it. Other time, ends up trying to run a sideline pick and roll and predictably turns it over.
- With 80's half court ball back in vogue, Memphis starts to chip away at the lead.
- Kobe comes back in and his eyes light up when he sees Poindexter is playing him straight up, and goes into Mamba iso mode with some mixed results with the inconsistent reffing. He gets away with stuff he shouldn't have and doesn't get the calls he should. Still gets some buckets out of it, although the offense becomes more stagnant.
- I think Memphis decides to hold Allen out because their spacing is being killed by him. But aren't getting much shooting from his replacements. Conley keeping Memphis in the game by hitting jumpers in Lin's eye.

Second Half

- Kobe looks like he hurt his hand early and has trouble handling the ball for a few minutes. Seems to recover later though.
- The Memphis bigs start to assert themselves at both ends and eventually even up the score. Gasol is just really good. They eventually have to go to a Sacre Davis lineup to slow them down a bit.
- Kobe hits some timely jumpers and threes to keep the Lakers in it. Also scores in the post over Poindexter.
- Lakers ball movement looks better overall because everyone doesn't just stop in place when the initial action doesn't work, they go into a secondary action. However, Memphis still pulls ahead.
- Price gets two important layups over Gasol to keep them in it. Memphis misses some wide open threes, hit some contested ones.
- Byron goes with an all bench lineup until 8 min left in the fourth, and run the offense through Swaggy. Lakers down five when Kobe and Swaggy come back in. Why not Lin?
- Kobe goes ref baiting on Poindexter again and draws a foul, draining them both. Quincy looks frustrated.
- Lin finally back with 6 min left, drives in traffic and misses it. Davis also misses a layup.
- Both teams have a tough time scoring. Wes, playing PF down the stretch, takes matters into his own hands by jacking up a brick and then fouling at the other end. Does Byron leave him in when the big Grizz frontcourt comes back?
- Hill comes in for Davis, which I'm not so sure is a good idea. Kobe misses a postup, Nick misses a jumper off high post split. Hill misses inside. Finally Kobe breaks the drought with a pretty left handed layup. Unfortunately the Grizz have been hitting short jumpers.
- Good hustle play from Lin to get back in transition to get a steal leads to Swaggy being fouled on a transition 3. Lakers within 3.
- Zach and Tony Allen nowhere to be seen down the stretch. Don't know if they're hurt or not.
- Finally they come to a point where Lakers probably should help on a long 2 from a big, but Gasol reads it, lets Nick go back to his man, and drains it.
- Lin bricks a ft, so Lakers down four. Get in transition and Kobe tries to hit a hero 3, and misses badly. Probably a good gamble given the score and because he was open.
- Zach finally is back in and Lakers are down 4 with 49 seconds, MEM ball. Gasol misses a long 2, Lin hesitates too long before giving it to Kobe, who tries to squeeze a pass inside to Hill but gets intercepted. That's pretty much the game there aside from some more missed threes.

A fun game, but Lakers lose to a better team, who hit their shots down the stretch. Some real play calls in the end would have helped, because they looked disorganized on offense. They generally are going to look better against teams without a lot of outside shooting. Some positives to take away from this is that they've made some strides in their off ball movement and sharing the ball.
Despite some haters, appreciate a detailed breakdown for a person who is across the Pacific Ocean and cannot see the game
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Kobeling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
44-25 wrote:

Everyone plays.
Share the ball.
Kids are happy.
We lose again.

That's what it felt like.

I like these short recaps the best. No one has time to read a wall of text.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks fiendishoc -great effort - really appreciate it.

please ignore the haters - I sometime wish that if people have nothing good to say - they should simply shut up.

To make a forum good we should put up or shut up (if you have nothing to contribute). I don't view spewing negative comments all over the place contributing to the forums.

So for all you nay-sayers out there, please show us you can do better if not we would appreciate your silence better than your negative sentiments.

If you don't like something - don't read it.

I do see the team starting to work better, my only worry is how much longer it needs to take for the team to get everything in place - I'd be happy if we can stay competitive and preferably around 0.5 (but being 0.5 doesn't guarantee a PO slot in the competitive western league.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
First Half

Second Half

Despite some haters, appreciate a detailed breakdown for a person who is across the Pacific Ocean and cannot see the game

It's not hate... Like I said, it's not an indictment of anyones efforts to fill in for DB. I did i factwatch the game. It's just a testament to DB's ability to translate a game. In my opinion, for example... There is entirely too much thought process guessing, conjecture, and assumption for the players for my taste. As opposed to a DB clean statement of fact like "He shot and made a quadruple contested 17 foot jump shot..." And finally, whether or not DB would ever go back to watch a loss between games or not (I wouldn't, but then I don't have my own message board full of Lakers fans), I think he stll reveals a lot in his analysis of losses. Again, no hate for other's efforts. They just smh because they fall waaaaaay short of the master of this topic.
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.

Juelz Santana - "The Second Coming"
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

Of course, no one can match the excellent work that DB puts into these things. We can just give our own thoughts and impressions on the action as per the title of the thread, which is part of the fun. The emoticon ratings however, I wouldn't dare to touch.
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: My thoughts on our bigs.

Watching this games, I noticed a paradox with our bigs. They are willing to battle and fight for offensive rebound (Hill leads the league in this) but on their first shot they settle for mid range jumpers even if the lane is open (except Davis who likes to go to the hole).

I wish they would shoot in the paint more because the jumper is at best a 50% shot. Getting a two shot foul is better than that. If they are willing to battle inside, do it all the time!
angus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My thoughts on our bigs.

infinite-loop wrote:
Watching this games, I noticed a paradox with our bigs. They are willing to battle and fight for offensive rebound (Hill leads the league in this) but on their first shot they settle for mid range jumpers even if the lane is open (except Davis who likes to go to the hole).

I wish they would shoot in the paint more because the jumper is at best a 50% shot. Getting a two shot foul is better than that. If they are willing to battle inside, do it all the time!

Another glaring Coaching 101 fault that goes on and on and on uncorrected.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:

I thought the group effort last time was really strong. I didn't get to see that game, but had a pretty good feel for from all those who contributed. I like hearing the different perspectives and like having one thread where you can at least get a summary of the game if you weren't able to see it. We didn't get the great effort this time around. Only Fiendish stepped up with some good detail, but I do think it's worthwhile.

It's going to be a long season so I'm going to need all the help I can get this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: