Report: NBA surveying teams about reducing preseason games.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Report: NBA surveying teams about reducing preseason games.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/11/report-nba-surveying-teams-about-reducing-preseason-games/

Quote:
Report: NBA surveying teams about reducing preseason games

LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki and Erick Spoelstra have called for the NBA to consider reducing the number of games in a season.

In terms of maximizing quality of play, cutting games – not minutes in each – is the ideal solution.

But removing games from the schedule would reduce revenue, hurting both players and owners in the wallet. So, the league is researching a solution that would keep the regular season at 82 games.

Zach Lowe of Grantland:

The NBA over the last two weeks has informally surveyed team higher-ups about the idea of cutting the preseason schedule by as much as half, according to several sources around the league.

The goal is to start the regular season earlier and stretch the full 82-game schedule over about 10 additional days, sources say.

Any change in the number of preseason games would likely not take place until the 2016-17 season at the earliest, sources say.

If the league wants to cut games, doing so in the preseason was always the No. 1 option. Preseason games don’t generate nearly as much money as regular-season contests, so there’s less downside to dropping them. (Though, preseason games played in non-NBA cities provides exposure and indirectly increases revenue.)

Right now, teams usually play eight (sometimes seven) preseason games. The Collective Bargaining Agreement calls for up to eight preseason games, so the NBA could probably reduce the number without the players’ approval.

Collectively, I’m not sure the players would mind. Most teams sit key players for multiple preseason games, because eight is too many as is. This proposal, along with a longer All-Star break, would help the NBA spread 82 games over a longer window, meaning fewer back-to-backs and other tightly packed spurts. That would reduce wear and tear on players, maybe even extending their careers.

However, players on unguaranteed contracts on the edge of making a roster would probably want the extra time to prove themselves. Likewise, coaches and general managers won’t want to miss those evaluation opportunities. Lowe:

That’s why the league has also floated the idea of allowing an NFL-style “organized team activity” during the offseason, sources say.

This is where the NBA’s plan gets dicey, and this part of it would almost certainly require the union’s approval. If the idea is to limit the burden on players, swapping games for practices won’t necessarily achieve that.

And if you’re going to make players work anyway, why not do it as part of an exhibition game and draw revenue in the process?

If the NBA is truly serious about reducing the load it puts on players, moving their work behind the scenes won’t get it done. Reducing the number of preseason games could, though.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I do not think reducing 8 preseason games is going to make a difference, health wise, considering most top tier players manage their minutes relatively well during the preseason by playing very little, if any at all.

What I think the NBA needs to do is put more focus on how they schedule the regular season. Right now, the NBA's divisions are just teams that play 82 games and if they win the division, then they win the division. There isn't any excitement built around it like it is in the NFL.

With the current 30 team league, this would reduce travel time and make the division battles much more relevant:

8 games per year against division foes.
2 games per year against intra conference opponents.
2 games per year against outer conference opponents.

I do like the idea of starting the season earlier. If you cut preseason games. Cut them to 5-6 games and Start the NBA Season in Mid October. Then when June comes, NBA Finals will finish on the first week of June instead of the 3rd week.

8X4 Division teams = 32 games
2X10 Intra Confrence teams = 20 games
2X15 Outer Conference teams= 30 games

82 game season, nothing changes there, money is the same. You save on travel expenses, save on long flights. Everyone wins.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
What I think the NBA needs to do is put more focus on how they schedule the regular season. Right now, the NBA's divisions are just teams that play 82 games and if they win the division, then they win the division. There isn't any excitement built around it like it is in the NFL.

That will never happen in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs. Divisions aren't important, but imbalances between divisions would create unfair results if the teams played 32 games against division foes. Consider what would happen under that format if you moved New Orleans from the Southwest to the Northwest. The Pelicans would probably win 8-10 more games.

I'd rather just get rid of divisions and spread the games around among everyone in the conference.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

That will never happen in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs. Divisions aren't important, but imbalances between divisions would create unfair results if the teams played 32 games against division foes. Consider what would happen under that format if you moved New Orleans from the Southwest to the Northwest. The Pelicans would probably win 8-10 more games.

I'd rather just get rid of divisions and spread the games around among everyone in the conference.

With the new tv contract and Adam Silver already steering the NBA into pulling more money from gambling, I expect expansion soon so that Seattle gets the Sonics back and then one more team to balance all the regional teams perfectly. I think Las Vegas needs to be the other team. Move Minny to the Eastern conference and now you have all the regions set.

Then you can go back to the two division set up in each conference and each team can play in their division 4 times, 3 times intra conference teams and 2 outer conference. That comes out to 82 games for all teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

That would be reasonable, though I really don't sense that expansion is coming. There are too many teams in weak markets already. I think the NBA likes having Seattle as a looming threat for any town that doesn't get a new arena built (hello, Sacramento and Milwaukee). Las Vegas really isn't a viable sports market. If I had to bet on a town as an expansion candidate, I would put my money on San Jose.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

That would be reasonable, though I really don't sense that expansion is coming. There are too many teams in weak markets already. I think the NBA likes having Seattle as a looming threat for any town that doesn't get a new arena built (hello, Sacramento and Milwaukee). Las Vegas really isn't a viable sports market. If I had to bet on a town as an expansion candidate, I would put my money on San Jose.

If Vegas doesnt get it, any west coast team. Maybe Anaheim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: