Melo being a team player
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
We really dodged a bullet when he turned us down.

Yup. I remember getting some heat for being so adamant against signing Melo. I wonder if those same people still think maxing him out would've been a good idea.

Kiss my Converse.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I haven't watched a single Knicks game, but how does Melo look in the Tri? Does he move? Do they play to his advantage and post him up alot?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
From a practical sense though, i think being bad, hoping to sign a free agent and then having a high pick to trade for that last guy (ala Cleveland) is probably better than winning 35 games and making the east 8th seed.

Phil would be foolish to trade the pick. The Knicks need a young draft pick who can develop for them as a core player as bad as any team ever has. They have literally no one to move forward it for the cheap. This draft pick could be that player, just like Julius Randle could be for us. If Phil trades this pick, he's only proving his doubters right by following the highly successful (sic) path of his predecessors like Isiah Thomas and Walsh who just kept trading picks for the "name" players.

It's also imperative that he not blow the capspace on a player like Amare. Everyone celebrated in NY when Amare got his 100 M/5 and I was like WTH? He didn't show himself to be that sort of player in PHX. And his health was shaky. So what Phil does with the capspace money and the lottery pick will define his tenure there IMO. Re-signing Melo to me was something he had to do, as in it was part of the job agreement with Dolan. You don't let Melo walk, if you've come in specifically to get him to stay and re-build the franchise. Now in 2-3 years if Melo doesn't pan out, maybe you try to trade out of that contract. Anyway, the real test will be what happens in summer 2015 and possibly 2016 for them.

I think what would happen with that pick depends on what happens in free agency, if they get no one, which will probably happen (i mean come on, there are now jokes about how george karl survived 3 cancers, melo, ai and prostate), then yeah they need to look forward, but if say Marc decides he wants to go to NY, then there is little point holding onto that player (and moving said pick would probably be a requirement for Marc).
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Disgusting that any of you would want that trash, Melo. Still mad that people here wanted his ass so badly during the summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
Dominator wrote:
We really dodged a bullet when he turned us down.

Yup. I remember getting some heat for being so adamant against signing Melo. I wonder if those same people still think maxing him out would've been a good idea.

I was all over the board with signing Melo. I understood what his contract would do to our future, but if we could sign him and compete in the playoffs that sounded good. Research my posts and you will see lots of "no" posts as well as "yes" posts. Overall I am glad he stayed in NY.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Yeah, they look awful. In a weird way, they kind of look like us. One superstar name and some other guys.

Kind of proves (again) that this model just does not work.

True, but we have to keep in mind that neither is a finished product, just a stop along the journey.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: