Pau Gasol - Closure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
He didnt take his ball and go home. Lakers were trying to take his ball and kick it out the door.

Pau was free to leave and it's fine that he did but let's not act like we showed him the door. This summer he was offered a 2-year $20M contract with a no trade clause. They tried to trade him exactly once (confirmed) for Chris freaking Paul.

Thanks, Ocho.

Seriously.

One might think the Lakers paid him minimum wage and made him stay after hours cleaning the latrine with the toothbrush he uses.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Pau wasn't given the red carpet treatment by the Lakers like Kobe, but let's not act like he was trashed. Lakers treated him well, like they do all players they value. There is no one issue that colored Pau's last few years here, but several.

One, he was in the unique position of not just being subjected to trade rumors, but was actually traded away and only remained a Laker due to a last minute veto. He handled it in a classy manner, but it had to affect him.

Two, he dealt with a myriad of health issues his last three or so years here. Plantar fascists, knee tendinitis, bursitis of his elbow on his shooting arm, and just plain age sapped away from his quickness and explosiveness, which he didn't have in abundance to begin with anyways. Watch videos of Pau during our ring runs versus the Pau of today. Night and day difference.

Three, bad fits with coaches. It was heavily rumored that there was a mandate to make Bynum the low post option and push Pau out further even during Phil's last year with us. That only got worse in subsequent years as other coaches came in who didn't believe in using Pau in the low post, or only as an after thought. MDA in particular had an infamous interview with Ramona when he first arrived where, when Ramona pointed out where Pau has typically been the most effective from the elbow on down into the paint, he erased all that and said Pau would be operating from the elbow out beyond the three point line.

In the end, I doubt Pau had any sore feelings about the Lakers. He just wanted a chance to compete in an easier conference his last few years in the league, and a team like Chicago is better for that than a rebuilding Laker team. Give the man his props, he actually put his money where his mouth is by taking a pretty huge pay cut from the nice contract the Lakers offered. Both Pau and the Lakers are better off for it, most likely. We had a great run together, and I for one am looking forward to seeing his number retired here, but it was time for both sides to move on.

Gasol did take less money to play for the Bulls, he did, he deserves to be respected for that, however the Lakers paid him 60 million over the last 3 years, I'm sure Gasol is not hurting for money.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
Please, mods, lock this thread now or "Voices" is going to collapse.

Getting up early every morning in order to track the word "Pau", so he is able to condemn Gasol as soon as somebody mentions him in LG, was hard work, but now there are two Pau threads!

My God, show some mercy. Dude has a life. How many times do you want him to write words like "we´re better off without...", "Yeah, 20/12/2/2, but what about defense?" " Gasol checked 3 years ago..." "Pau was just a role player. Kobe won the rings by himself", "He is abusing every center now. So what? That does not benefit Chicago´s economy" and so on?

#releaseVoices

I did not start this thread, you like many try to intimidate with total disregard to the facts. I do not launch personal attacks against others like you just did.

I put a premium on loyalty, heart and effort, Gasol phone it in the last 3 years and took 60 million dollars of Lakers fan money. You may want to make excuses for him, sorry, there is no excuse for collecting money beyond most people wildest dreams and not rewarding the fans with your heart and soul.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
I did not start this thread, you like many try to intimidate with total disregard to the facts. I do not launch personal attacks against others like you just did.

While I completely disagree with your takes on Pau, I can agree completely with this. It's one thing to argue a point but another thing entirely to mock and insult other posters. Let's not lose sight of maintaining respect for each other while we disagree on minor details in the GAME of basketball
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
[ you like many try to intimidate with total disregard to the facts. I do not launch personal attacks against others like you just did.

Voices, I was just joking, since I find funny the amazing amount of hate you show for such a likable character as Pau is, but it was not "intimidation" or "personal attack" at all. This is just the internet, and very probably you are a much nicer guy than I am
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
Voices wrote:
[ you like many try to intimidate with total disregard to the facts. I do not launch personal attacks against others like you just did.

Voices, I was just joking, since I find funny the amazing amount of hate you show for such a likable character as Pau is, but it was not "intimidation" or "personal attack" at all. This is just the internet, and very probably you are a much nicer guy than I am

Hate is a very powerful word, it is used far to much on this blog and others. I do not hate Gasol, I dislike him as a player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: