CM Punk signs with UFC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: CM Punk signs with UFC

Quote:
The UFC has signed former WWE professional wrestler CM Punk to fight in the Octagon.

The promotion announced the signing during its UFC 181 pay-per-view broadcast Saturday night. CM Punk, birth name Phil Brooks, has never fought professional mixed martial arts.

"This is my new career, 100 percent," CM Punk said in a statement. "I'm going to go full steam ahead, all systems go after today, and it's going to be fun."

UFC president Dana White said CM Punk intends to fight at middleweight (185 pounds), but said he'd be open to 170 pounds.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11991124/cm-punk-joins-ufc-fight-2015
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

CM Punk vs the Green Ranger?
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/power-ranger-jason-david-frank-wants-cm-punk-for-his-first-ufc-fight-120714
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

How long before he goes crawling back to the WWE?

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

When he runs out of money?
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

He's going to get his ass kicked. The guy's a douche.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
He's going to get his ass kicked. The guy's a douche.

Yep, that much is guaranteed. No way he can go toe to toe with the elites of the UFC.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

I'm a fan of CM punk but even I think he will get his butt whooped.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I can understand that ppl are pissed that they sign him, while not signing Ben Askren, Jake Shields, etc., but honestly, I don't care, and I'm not even a wrestling fan.

At the end of the day, if someone is technically a little bit of a better wrestler, grappler, or whatever else, it doesn't really mean that much to me. I'd be much more interested in someone with a great personality, who's interesting to watch, and who can talk (bleep) and hype up a fight.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The Green Ranger will kick his butt.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Did you hear the interview when he went all out on Vince, Triple H and WWE?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Link?
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Link?

Quote:
CM Punk Finally Reveals Why He Left WWE

Former WWE Superstar CM Punk has broken his silence on the circumstances that led to his WWE departure in a lengthy interview with Colt Cabana on the Art of Wrestling Podcast.

There is a tremendous amount of material covered in the 2-hour podcast and we highly recommend you listen to the podcast to hear everything from Punk himself. We're covering Punk's final days in WWE below - but the podcast covers three years of Punk's WWE run, dating back to Money in the Bank 2011

After years of working through injuries and WWE's "toxic" creative environment, Punk requested a meeting with Vince McMahon and Triple H at the 2014 Royal Rumble.

"I looked Vince in the eye and I said, 'I do not love this anymore. I'm f----- sick, I'm f------ hurt, I'm f------ confused, I don't know as a business what we're doing anymore. Every day you tell me it's a team effort, but every day it's an individual effort by me to find what's necessary to even f-n come here. It's not fun. I have zero passion for this. I'm concussed, I'm hurt, and alls you care about is what segment I'm in and how soon I can get my gear on and how soon I can pee in this cup and I don't want to do it anymore.'

"I mentioned something about the piss test and Hunter said, 'Well, you know, Dave (Batista) just took the same piss test you did.' And I just looked at Hunter and went, 'Well, did you?' And he had nothing to say. I said (to McMahon), 'Look, I thought when I re-signed three years ago I told you if I couldn't be all that I said I could be, you could f----- fire me. And, if I was a fraud and anything less and fell short of the f------ mark - I said, 'I sold more shirts than John Cena until I turned heel for you. You said you owed me one. I worked guys that were dangerous and you said you owed me one. I did all these things and alls I wanted was the main event of WrestleMania. And it's fine if you don't think that is me and I'm not the caliber of that Superstar, but then you need to f------ fire me. Because I do not want to be here and I do not want to be anything else.' And then I will go somewhere else and get over because I can.

"You have shackled me, you have creatively stifled me, you have made this a very toxic environment, I no longer want to be here. It boggles my mind how Daniel Bryan has not figured into your plans to be in the main event of WrestleMania because this is his year. Just like two years ago when it was my year and I was white f----- hot, just like he is now, and what did you do? You fed me to this guy.' And I pointed to right at Hunter. Vince was like, 'This is the concussion talking. I can't believe you're saying any of this. It is a main event - you're wrestling Triple H."

"I politely turned to Hunter and I said, 'With all due respect, I do not need to wrestle you. You need to wrestle me. I do not want to wrestle you. I seriously resent you for not putting me over three years ago when you should have. That would have been best for business. But, you had to come in and squash it. And then I had to lose to Truth and Miz. It didn't make any business sense and now I'm in the position where I can tell you I don't have to nor do I want to wrestle you at WrestleMania. I don't care if I was supposed to win - which I was - I didn't want to give him the f------ privilege.

"I said a lot of s--- in there. I told them again - and Hunter was gritting his teeth, and he never liked me. Me and him in a room together - it was always negative vibes."

"Hunter told me I was in the main event because I wrestled The Undertaker," Punk continued. "I turned to him and said, 'Tell me I got paid the same amount of money as you, Brock, Cena, Rock, or whoever.' And once again, he had nothing to say. I was like, 'I'm out of here.' Vince, with tears in his eyes, went in for a hug, and it was like a reluctant patting on the back, then I looked at Hunter and he stuck his hand out and I shook his hand. I said, 'Goodbye,' and I walked out."

Punk said he had not officially quit the company at this point, which is "when the story got really good."

Vince McMahon texted him a week later and asked if he was ready to return yet, a sign that Vince really was not getting the message. Punk had been wrestling for months with a mass on his back that he says WWE doctors refused to properly diagnose. Punk went to a doctor that AJ Lee recommended who told him the mass was "a full-blown staph infection." When Punk told the doctor that he worked with the mass on his back for three months, Punk said the doctor told him: "You should be dead. You could have died."

Punk said Vince contacted him to tell him he's suspended for two months, with the suspension ending the day after WrestleMania. After the two month suspension was up, nobody from WWE contacted him. The next thing he heard about it was Vince McMahon telling investors that he was "on a sabbatical" and then his royalty checks stopped coming.

The royalty check issue was the "final straw" after all he had put up with. Punk recalled getting a text from Triple H on June 11, two days before his wedding to AJ Lee. Punk said he explained his situation to Hunter - he was getting married, going on his honeymoon and they could continue the discussion when he got back. On the day of his wedding, he received a FedEx package with his termination papers.

"I was fired on my wedding day," Punk said. That pushed him over the edge, especially clauses in the letter saying he forfeits all royalties and WWE claims a breach of contract retro-active to January.

Punk hired one of the top lawyers in Los Angeles to deal with the matter. Punk said he cannot talk about the terms of the settlement, but he "got everything I wanted and more." He said WWE owes him an apology for calling him a quitter in his home town of Chicago.

Punk said WWE was terrified of him going to TNA, but Punk's lawyer told them that Punk "absolutely despises pro wrestling" and he's "never going to wrestle again."

"There is no working relationship, and there never will be ever again. That wedding day thing was pretty ridiculous"

http://pwinsider.com/article/89844/wwe-fired-cm-punk-on-his-wedding-day-the-health-issue-that-should-have-killed-him-and-more-quick-highlights-of-punk-interview-on-cabana-podcast.html?p=1
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Interesting.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Dana White said he'll be up against newbie. Someone 1-0 or 1-1 in MMA. They won't throw him to the Wolves like Brock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject:

lakershead22 wrote:
I'm a fan of CM punk but even I think he will get his butt whooped.

C M B > C M P
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

This has nothing to do with CM Punk, other than the fact that I was browsing various interviews afterward and found his speeches, but Glenn Jacobs has to easily be the most articulate, well spoken wrestler I've ever heard.
Isaiah
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Las Vegas (formerly from Metro Manila, Philippines)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
This has nothing to do with CM Punk, other than the fact that I was browsing various interviews afterward and found his speeches, but Glenn Jacobs has to easily be the most articulate, well spoken wrestler I've ever heard.

I believe he also owns his own insurance company. I heard if you don't sign with him, you get chokeslammed through a table.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

He's 36 years old having spent years in the meat grinder that is professional wrestling.

I wish him the best but he's just there to collect a paycheck.

It's a rude awakening for pro athletes the day the big checks stop coming in.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Kane's a class act. One of the most humble wrestlers there's ever been. It's a shame that they've made him a complete joke now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

CM Punk is gonna get his head kicked in if he were to fight moderately successful UFC fighters...
Its one thing to have some formal training in combat sports, but its another thing to use it in a professional setting like the UFC.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Kane's a class act. One of the most humble wrestlers there's ever been. It's a shame that they've made him a complete joke now.

Kane is a super cool dude. I actually lifted with him and "Prince Albert" about 12 years ago when they were doing an Anaheim show.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I like CM Punk. I'm not a big wrestling fan. Never was. I sometimes catch an event while a friend or family member is watching and CM Punk has been my hands down favorite in recent years. I understand the skepticism on his fighting skills, just because they have never been displayed, but I'm not ruling the guy out so soon. I look forward to it.

Remember when Jean-Claude Van Damme was going to get into MMA and things fell apart? The guy genuinely wanted to show the world that he could actually fight. I'm getting the same vibe from CM Punk on this. These guys don't need money or fame. They feel like they have something to prove.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong on this. I think worst case scenario we'll get some pretty good entertainment out of it. Also remember, Dana White is very meticulous on who he signs into his precious UFC. He has passed up on potentially great ratings in the past in order to spare his viewers a garbage showing.

Again, I'm excited.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
I like CM Punk. I'm not a big wrestling fan. Never was. I sometimes catch an event while a friend or family member is watching and CM Punk has been my hands down favorite in recent years. I understand the skepticism on his fighting skills, just because they have never been displayed, but I'm not ruling the guy out so soon. I look forward to it.

Remember when Jean-Claude Van Damme was going to get into MMA and things fell apart? The guy genuinely wanted to show the world that he could actually fight. I'm getting the same vibe from CM Punk on this. These guys don't need money or fame. They feel like they have something to prove.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong on this. I think worst case scenario we'll get some pretty good entertainment out of it. Also remember, Dana White is very meticulous on who he signs into his precious UFC. He has passed up on potentially great ratings in the past in order to spare his viewers a garbage showing.

Again, I'm excited.

Well maybe if you don't count James Toney. Dana himself has said he doesn't expect much from CM Punk. I liked Punk in the WWE but I also don't expect much from him. I will be watching when he fights. Which is why Dana signed him. Win or lose CM Punk will sell some shows.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject:

Huge wrestling fan, don't like UFC. CM Punk signing with them is big news. I might even have to check out his first fight. That's how much of an impact it is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: