Kings to cherry pick as a strategy?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Kings to cherry pick as a strategy?

http://www.businessinsider.com/kings-cherry-picking-4-on-5-experiment-2014-12

Seriously?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kings to cherry pick as a strategy?

fansincemagic wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/kings-cherry-picking-4-on-5-experiment-2014-12

Seriously?

sounds like something worth trying n the d league
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

That guy is about a month late on the story.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

Don't let Byron scott hear this. If he realizes he can timewarp backneven farther than the 80s...
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
That guy is about a month late on the story.

Yea I didn't see it posted, even searched cherry pick and 4 on 5. Sounds insane and would make the game into a joke.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

We employ a 4-on-5 defensive strategy already most of the time.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Would love to see Golden State do that. Cherry pick klay or curry all game and press with 4. Igoudala, lee, barnes and bogut could play D.

Also maybe I should bet the over on Kings games moving forward.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Well, the tank is strong with this team.

Their affiliate. the Reno Bighorns (5-4) have been doing this with mixed results. Doubtful it will work in the NBA, the offenses will exploit this to their advantage.

These gimmicks are interesting, but they don't lead to rings. Back in the day. Paul Westhead (LMU) wanted to transform the Nuggets with a gimmick offense but it didn't work out too well. They averaged 119 but gave up around 130. Heck they even gave up 107 in a HALF to the Kings one year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Would love to see Golden State do that. Cherry pick klay or curry all game and press with 4. Igoudala, lee, barnes and bogut could play D.

Why would they mess with that when they are winning games, and have the best record in the NBA? I can see why the Kings would do it since their franchise needs some excitement and an experimental offense would probably get some people to be actually interested in watching a Kings game.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Ranadive did this with his daughter's middle school basketball team. They had two good players and no one else could dribble or shoot. Using a 100% full court press they went to the regional finals or something.

He's trying to reinvent the game like his company reinvented the stock market. He doesn't think teams should concede the inbound or get back to let the other team set up their offense.

Good teams would eat them alive if they tried it. But at the high school level...it was pretty effective. They didn't even pressure the inbounder....they used five bodies to cover four players. They'd often get steals and easy layups.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Ranadive did this with his daughter's middle school basketball team. They had two good players and no one else could dribble or shoot. Using a 100% full court press they went to the regional finals or something.

He's trying to reinvent the game like his company reinvented the stock market. He doesn't think teams should concede the inbound or get back to let the other team set up their offense.

Good teams would eat them alive if they tried it. But at the high school level...it was pretty effective. They didn't even pressure the inbounder....they used five bodies to cover four players. They'd often get steals and easy layups.

slowing the team from setting up their offense works pretty well, a ball pressure point guard can usually stall the offense for a cpl seconds every possession, which over the course of a game probably gets you 3 or 4 points. The US World Cup team employed something like the heavy press idea, but that was because K wanted to leverage that every guy he brought in was better than your guy (probably why they were the most successful team since dream team 1), the nba the gap wouldn't allow that as it is more draining for the team who does it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

Stuff like this works at the lower levels because these guys aren't real good at covering their weaknesses. I don't think it will work at the pro level just because these guys are that good. They will easily find exploits in the system. They implemented this system in their D-League affiliate and it doesn't really work well since the other teams are able to use their lack of defense on the open man to score easy buckets.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:

Their affiliate. the Reno Bighorns (5-4) have been doing this with mixed results. Doubtful it will work in the NBA, the offenses will exploit this to their advantage.

These gimmicks are interesting, but they don't lead to rings. Back in the day. Paul Westhead (LMU) wanted to transform the Nuggets with a gimmick offense but it didn't work out too well. They averaged 119 but gave up around 130. Heck they even gave up 107 in a HALF to the Kings one year.

Tell me you are joking
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

So, which would prove better. Their 4 on 5 defense, or our 4 on 5 offense with the starters?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
K2 wrote:

Tell me you are joking

Unfort, it's true.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/12/sports/nba-scoring-marks-fall-in-rout-by-suns.html
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
K2 wrote:

Tell me you are joking

Unfort, it's true.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/12/sports/nba-scoring-marks-fall-in-rout-by-suns.html

To think he led us to a championship. Huge assist by Magic doing the dirty work.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
K2 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
K2 wrote:

Tell me you are joking

Unfort, it's true.

To think he led us to a championship. Huge assist by Magic doing the dirty work.

Westhead's the luckiest guy in the world that year. Lakers were 10-4 when Jack McKinney's bike ride changed everything.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/09/sports/la-sp-lakers-mckinney-20120210
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
K2 wrote:

Tell me you are joking

Unfort, it's true.

It was a gimmick system for sure, it revived a couple of basketball programs but really its not a system you can build a program around.
ESPN did a documentary on this called "Guru of Go" where they covered his time at LMU.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

^Thanks for the heads up on the documentary, found it on youtube. Watched LMU with great interest back in the day.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Why would they mess with that when they are winning games, and have the best record in the NBA? I can see why the Kings would do it since their franchise needs some excitement and an experimental offense would probably get some people to be actually interested in watching a Kings game.

GS would never change what they're doing. You're right about that.
I was just saying it would be entertaining for me to see. They could score a crazy amount of points if it worked out well, and I wouldn't care if it doesn't.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^Thanks for the heads up on the documentary, found it on youtube. Watched LMU with great interest back in the day.

Yeah, I remember that squad with Hank Gathers (rip) and Bo Kimble.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

The cherry picking strategy is hard to stop on lower levels. I used to do it with a group of friends and we'd control the court for a while. It should not work against any nba team however.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

what a stupid strategy. With 4v5 you are not getting any quick turnovers. Your only opportunities to hit your cherry picker would be on a missed or made shot.... and by the time that happens NBA level guards would be able to sprint down the court and cover the cherry picker.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
K2 wrote:

Yeah, I remember that squad with Hank Gathers (rip) and Bo Kimble.

They had quite a run in the tournament, still have flashbacks of Bo Kimble's tribute to Hank (rip) with left-handed free throws.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Had a chance to see Quincy Miller and the vaunted Reno Bighorns play against the LA D-fenders last night in a record-breaker. The Bighorns' defense was shredded by the D-fenders, by the end of the first quarter, they gave up 56 points. That is not a typo, 56 points. By the end of the game, the Bighorns did score 152 points, but gave up a record-breaking 175 points to the LA D-fenders.

Bear in mind the Bighorns are a Kings affiliate, the whining for calls seems to have a trickle-down effect. The Bighorns coach complained about calls more than any other coach I've seen in the d-league. At half-time his players were so frustrated by the score (94-79) they apparently started throwing stuff around in the Lakers weight room (Toyota Sports Center is the Lakers practice facility) and had to be reprimanded.

You can watch the game here:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: