Conviction thrown out >>More than 70 years after South Carolina sent a 14-year-old black boy to the electric chair-*He used a bible as a booster seat in the electric chair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Conviction thrown out >>More than 70 years after South Carolina sent a 14-year-old black boy to the electric chair-*He used a bible as a booster seat in the electric chair

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/18/south-carolina-boy-14-should-not-have-been-executed-in-144-judge-says/

Quote:
More than 70 years after South Carolina sent a 14-year-old black boy to the electric chair in the killings of two white girls in a segregated mill town, a judge threw out the conviction, saying the state committed a great injustice.

George Stinney was arrested, convicted of murder in a one-day trial and executed in 1944 - all in the span of about three months and without an appeal. The speed in which the state meted out justice against the youngest person executed in the United States in the 20th century was shocking and extremely unfair, Circuit Judge Carmen Mullen wrote in her ruling Wednesday.

"I can think of no greater injustice," Mullen wrote.

Wow SAD.. VERY...

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

The happenings in Jim Crow era South Carolina don't surprise me as much as the fact that they thought sending a 14 year old kid to the electric chair was somehow okay.

I think about it and 1944 really wasn't that long ago. It really wasn't that long ago that America was seriously twisted and (bleep) up place if you weren't white. So much so that they didn't even care if you were a little kid.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The execution of George Stinney was carried out by Old Sparky at Central Correctional Institution in Columbia on June 16, 1944. At 7:30 p.m., Stinney walked to the execution chamber with a Bible under his arm, which he later used as a booster seat in the electric chair.[7] Standing 5 foot 1 inch (155 cm) tall and weighing just over 90 pounds (40 kg),[6] his size (relative to adult prisoners) presented difficulties in securing him to the frame holding the electrodes. Nor did the state's adult-sized face-mask fit him; as he was hit with the first 2,400 V surge of electricity, the mask covering his face slipped off, "revealing his wide-open, tearful eyes and saliva coming from his mouth...After two more jolts of electricity, the boy was dead. During the execution, the surges of electricity made Stinney's body shake, and his left hand broke free from the buckle holding him down."[8][9] Stinney was declared dead within four minutes of the initial electrocution. From the time of the murders until Stinney's execution, 81 days had passed.[7]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

This happened decades ago, but the thought still makes me extremely sad.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Emmit Till

If you are faint of heart don't click on link.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Must have been the good cops who caught him, right?
And the good prosecutors who thought so highly of him?

I still remember what a _profound_ affect it had on me when I first read "To Kill a Mockingbird". The scary thing is that it's still really relevant and sad.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

I still remember what a _profound_ affect it had on me when I first read "To Kill a Mockingbird". The scary thing is that it's still really relevant and sad.

One of my all time favorite books, read it in one day. My ex found me reading it with tears in my eyes, she laughed, called me a ol softie.

Irony, I caught her reading it with tears in her eyes.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

One of my all time favorite books, read it in one day. My ex found me reading it with tears in my eyes, she laughed, called me a ol softie.

LINK

One of the all-time greatest imo.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

I'm going to read this so many approvals.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

Surprised you haven't. It was required reading in Jr. High at my district. The Gregory Peck movie adaptation was awesome too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ani007 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

Surprised you haven't. It was required reading in Jr. High at my district. The Gregory Peck movie adaptation was awesome too.

I've seen many movie adaptations that did the book little justice. Not the case with To Kill A Mockingbird. It followed the book to a T.

I believe Robert Duvall made his screen debut as Boo Radley in the film.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

One of the coolest Buddhist nuns "Pema Chodron" uses Atticus Finch as an example of a true bodhisattva.. There is a scene in the movie where Atticus and his young Son are walking through town and a white man walks up and confronts him rudely for defending a black man. The man spits in Atticus's face. Atticus pulls out his handkerchief and wipes his face off and looks at his Son with no fear and explains to him that it is time to go now and they walk away.
Pema says that is a true spiritual warrior who sees how much the other person is struggling and does not escalate the situation and can remain composed when the (bleep) hits the fan :)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

One of the coolest Buddhist nuns "Pema Chodron" uses Atticus Finch as an example of a true bodhisattva.. There is a scene in the movie where Atticus and his young Son are walking through town and a white man walks up and confronts him rudely for defending a black man. The man spits in Atticus's face. Atticus pulls out his handkerchief and wipes his face off and looks at his Son with no fear and explains to him that it is time to go now and they walk away.
Pema says that is a true spiritual warrior who sees how much the other person is struggling and does not escalate the situation and can remain composed when the (bleep) hits the fan

That scene was outside of Tom Robinsons house. LINK LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

Pema says that is a true spiritual warrior who sees how much the other person is struggling and does not escalate the situation and can remain composed when the (bleep) hits the fan :)

That scene was outside of Tom Robinsons house. LINK LINK

Thank you! I remember this scene now.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

Back on topic, after Stinney's trial, his own family was unable to visit him, because they had to leave town, in order to avoid being lynched by a group of white citizens.

Many years later, a white man in the town made a death bed confession, admitting that he was the one who murdered the two young girls.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
Back on topic, after Stinney's trial, his own family was unable to visit him, because they had to leave town, in order to avoid being lynched by a group of white citizens.

Many years later, a white man in the town made a death bed confession, admitting that he was the one who murdered the two young girls.

LINK

Your post saying a White man confessed is cooperated around 35 of the video. Also statements from siblings that Stinny was with them at the time the girls were killed.

I'm of the opinion authorities knew Stinny was innocent but had to blame someone. Shameful.

Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

If you guys like blacks as stick board characters devoid of any of the profundity that defines humanity, then, yes, Harper Lee's Novel was great. The topic has been handled in so many ways that are truly art that TKAM is one of the most overrated novels in the American lexicon.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

If you guys like blacks as stick board characters devoid of any of the profundity that defines humanity, then, yes, Harper Lee's Novel was great. The topic has been handled in so many ways that are truly art that TKAM is one of the most overrated novels in the American lexicon.

The novel didn't pique my racial interest. I was intrigued by it's transference.

We all know, or should know, what racism is all about. TKMB tugged at the heart as entertainment but also messaged.

It heroes two children, a Caucasian lawyer and a recluse. Trounced and made vile a racist. It's not a novel meant to educate, it and the movie are meant to entertain but there was education veiled.

It gave a face to racism and also introduced all Caucasians are not racists. It's not a novel to teach about racism but in a small way does.

It's not on the shelf of racist history novels, it's more like The Color Purple, Huckleberry Fin, The Help.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
tlim wrote:

LINK

The novel didn't pique my racial interest. I was intrigued by it's transference.

We all know, or should know, what racism is all about. TKMB tugged at the heart as entertainment but also messaged.

It heroes two children, a Caucasian lawyer and a recluse. Trounced and made a vile a racist. It's not a novel meant to educate, it and the movie are meant to entertain but there was education veiled.

It gave a face to racism and also introduced all Caucasians are not racists. It's not a novel to teach about racism but in a small way does.

It's not on the shelf of racist history novels, it's more like The Color Purple, Huckleberry Fin, The Help.

The book was boring as heck when I was a kid. I remember thinking, "where are the mocking birds?!"
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
The happenings in Jim Crow era South Carolina don't surprise me as much as the fact that they thought sending a 14 year old kid to the electric chair was somehow okay.

I think about it and 1944 really wasn't that long ago. It really wasn't that long ago that America was seriously twisted and (bleep) up place if you weren't white. So much so that they didn't even care if you were a little kid.

That's why you still have Darren Wilson and his ilk still running around in the streets. Racism is a passed down from generation to generation and is in my opinion a permanent part of America.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

That's why you still have Darren Wilson and his ilk still running around in the streets. Racism is a passed down from generation to generation and is in my opinion a permanent part of America.

Would you believe a person was lynched in the U.S. just 33 years ago. LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Or James Byrd just 16yrs ago RIP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Or James Byrd just 16yrs ago RIP

It's disturbing how his death was coined "lynching-by-dragging."

JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

LINK

Your post saying a White man confessed is cooperated around 35 of the video. Also statements from siblings that Stinny was with them at the time the girls were killed.

I'm of the opinion authorities knew Stinny was innocent but had to blame someone. Shameful.

As someone who grew up in the south (Kentucky, not South Carolina), I'm sure the authorities knew Stinney did not kill those 2 girls.

And while I don't know the details of the deathbed confession, it would not surprise me if it turned out that the white man that killed the two girls did so because the white girls had spoken to a black youth, and then saw to it that the black youth they spoke to was executed for allowing 2 white girls to speak to him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: