Gasol the Bull (and the Laker, the Spur, and the Grizzly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Gasol was just as instrumental as James Worthy during those 2 championships. Maybe even more so than Worthy was for showtime's last 2.

Okay I'm ready Voices. Take your shots.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@ESPNStatsInfo: Pau Gasol has 7 straight double-doubles, his longest streak since Feb. 2012

Pau Gasol is nice
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Legit glad Pau is doing well.

!...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Garnett actually stopped Pau very well today. Great defense on Pau about a half dozen times, even though he got away with clear fouls on three of those. Pau started very slowly and got it going in the last three quarters.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Yep. Solid game, and a solid team game in terms of minutes & point distribution which is good so Pau and the other starters don't get worn out before season's end. EDIT: and yes, Garnett still causes Pau fits at times. I cannot stand Garnett but he can play.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Yep. Solid game, and a solid team game in terms of minutes & point distribution which is good so Pau and the other starters don't get worn out before season's end.

Well, there has been a better distribution, point wise, but, as always, Pau has ended up playing 36 minutes in a (25 point) blowout.

This coach´s stubborness is beyond me. If the game is tough, Pau plays 40 minutes. The other day he played 50. If the game is easy, he plays 34-38.

This is absurd, especially considering Thibodeau is famous for his reportedly excessive training sessions.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

Pau´s last 5 games:

25/13/1/2/75 FG%

29/14/2/1/48 FG%

19/15/3/-/37 FG%

22/20/3/1/53 FG%

16/16/2/4/56 FG%

... for an average of 22´2 points, 15´6 rebounds, 2´2 assists and 1´6 blocks, with 53.6 FG%

His season averages at this point are 20 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks (which are just as good as any other PF/C in the league.Dwight is 19/11/1/2. Marc is 19/8/4/1, Davis is 25/10/2/3 and Griffin 23/8/4/0.3) , and he ranks 2ND in double/doubles, 3RD in rebounds, 6TH in eff., 8TH in blocks and 9TH in pts/reb/blocks.

However I think he is surprisingly being ignored by the media.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Gasol was just as instrumental as James Worthy during those 2 championships. Maybe even more so than Worthy was for showtime's last 2.

Okay I'm ready Voices. Take your shots.

When James Worthy retired before the 1994-95 season, it was fitting that Magic Johnson was there to describe Worthy's career. Johnson, after all, had made the passes on the fast break that set up hundreds of Worthy's trademark one-handed swooping dunks.

"James Worthy was one of the top 10 -- top five -- players in playoff history," Johnson stated at the news conference in which Worthy announced his retirement.

Worthy has said the Lakers' 1985 title was the sweetest of his three championships.
Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images
No one argued with that assessment. By the time he retired, Worthy owned a Most Outstanding Player Award from the 1982 NCAA Final Four and a Most Valuable Player Award from the 1988 NBA Finals. He was a member of three NBA championship teams with the Los Angeles Lakers (in 1985, 1987, and 1988). His career postseason averages of 21.1 points and 5.2 rebounds per game were higher than his regular-season averages of 17.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per contest.

Unbelievable stats!

He recorded his first triple-double in arguably the biggest game of his career: Game 7 of the 1988 Finals against Detroit, in which Worthy collected 36 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists. He also holds the all-time record for the highest field goal percentage in a five-game playoff series, .721 in the 1985 Western Conference Finals against the Denver Nuggets.

Never was a nickname better suited to a player than Worthy's moniker of "Big Game James."

James could carry a team, especially when it counted.

Do you remember James doing two at a time

Thanks for being civil in your difference of others, it does make blogging more fun.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
Pau´s last 5 games:

25/13/1/2/75 FG%

29/14/2/1/48 FG%

19/15/3/-/37 FG%

22/20/3/1/53 FG%

16/16/2/4/56 FG%

... for an average of 22´2 points, 15´6 rebounds, 2´2 assists and 1´6 blocks, with 53.6 FG%

His season averages at this point are 20 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks (which are just as good as any other PF/C in the league.Dwight is 19/11/1/2. Marc is 19/8/4/1, Davis is 25/10/2/3 and Griffin 23/8/4/0.3) , and he ranks 2ND in double/doubles, 3RD in rebounds, 6TH in eff., 8TH in blocks and 9TH in pts/reb/blocks.

However I think he is surprisingly being ignored by the media.

He is one of the most sufficient and best low post scorer. I think we should try the Spurs system by surrounding good old allstar players with young role players. Chasing after CP3 and DHoward, Melo, and Lebron clearly screwed us over. Getting a superstar level is nice, but the risk coming with it is huge also. Role players is easier to get and maintain.

I always think we should make the best out of Kobe and Pau by finding a coach that can utilize the low post and some good role players. Oh well, now we stuck in huge rebuilding mode without a new superstar.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

vedanta wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Yep. Solid game, and a solid team game in terms of minutes & point distribution which is good so Pau and the other starters don't get worn out before season's end.

Well, there has been a better distribution, point wise, but, as always, Pau has ended up playing 36 minutes in a (25 point) blowout.

This coach´s stubborness is beyond me. If the game is tough, Pau plays 40 minutes. The other day he played 50. If the game is easy, he plays 34-38.

This is absurd, especially considering Thibodeau is famous for his reportedly excessive training sessions.

Agreed.

Baby steps for Thibs, apparently.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I guess I will leave this here:

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/543135455613829121
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
I guess I will leave this here:

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/543135455613829121

Lol
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
vedanta wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Agreed.

Baby steps for Thibs, apparently.

We've had Brown, D'Antoni, and now Scott. Pretty sure we would be able to live with Thibodeau's poor time management.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I know Pau being in a new setting has a lot to do with his resurgence, but I think Thibs should be getting just as much (if not more) credit here. He really does seem to get the best out of his players. Pau being second in the league in rebounding and also playing some really good D is astounding to me. Damn, I wish he was our coach.

Kiss my Converse.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
I know Pau being in a new setting has a lot to do with his resurgence, but I think Thibs should be getting just as much (if not more) credit here. He really does seem to get the best out of his players. Pau being second in the league in rebounding and also playing some really good D is astounding to me. Damn, I wish he was our coach.

Absolutely.

I'm a bit concerned about his tendency to over-work his players but he is an excellent coach, there's no question. (And yeah, would that he were our coach...)
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

When you know how to use an all star caliber player's skills, these are the results.

What a horrible hire Pringles was.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
When you know how to use an all star caliber player's skills, these are the results.

What a horrible hire Pringles was.

But, but ...according to one poster her Pau threw MDA under the bus.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I think we all want to see Pau do well, and succeed, but we have to now deal with people saying that this is because he doesn't have to play with Kobe, and that he left because of Kobe, etc. We knew this would happen, but it's still frustrating.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I think we all want to see Pau do well, and succeed, but we have to now deal with people saying that this is because he doesn't have to play with Kobe, and that he left because of Kobe, etc. We knew this would happen, but it's still frustrating.

Ignorant people aren't worth worrying about. Don't let them bug you.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Ignorant people aren't worth worrying about. Don't let them bug you.

And statements like that would be about as ignorant as it gets. Even having had a few minor, typical teammate disagreements in the past, I don't see how anyone can believe anything other than Kobe and Pau's long-expressed friendship and brotherhood. Kobe was probably the only thing to make Pau hesitate about leaving.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

4th best record in the East
19.5 PPG
12.1 RPG (2nd in the league in RPG)
2.2 APG
1.8 BPG (7th in the league in BPG)

And pretty likely to make the All-Star team. He gets the most shots on his team in one of th biggest markets in the league and is playing against the ECF instead of the western conference.

We would be a much better team if we had him here. I admit, I thought he was on the decline and didn't care anymore, I was wrong. Props to the Spainard.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Have said this a few times.
Pau was playing well on O last year in a different O, one he didn't like.
He averaged 17/10/3 I think on a bad, really bad team where at one point it didn't matter if we won.

He's never lost his skillset. He's declined physically without question. However with the right coach, system and role, where players look for him and know he's very important, he's still an all-star caliber player.

Best thing about CHI it hides his biggest weakness. D. He has an anchor with him in Noah, and he also can slide into the C role when need be. The whole talk about Pau not being able to play alongside another big guy, a C, garbage. It frustrated me people would keep talking about Pau as some problem, as having bigs who can play basketball at an all-star level as a problem and it all being about a "stretch" 4.

Why do you think Kobe was so vehement that Pau be featured more and we have more post up play? Indirectly all he was saying - use Pau's skillset to the max. Chicago is doing that. They aren't posting him up 100 times. They're just utilizing him more than we were. LA wasn't for a few years. I have no clue why LA stopped valuing Pau.

All that said, there were no questions that Pau mailed it in many nights as a Laker. I'll bet he'll do the same in CHI, too. He's not the bring it your all every night type of guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

I guess I'm gonna be a little naughty here, as this might not be appreciated by some, but, just thinking . . . I wonder how the Gasol-centric team of last year will compare with the Kobe-centric team of this year.

Last year, the Lakers won 35.0% of the games in which Pau played. So far, this year, they've won 30.4% of their games, all of which Kobe has played.

Yes, this is not apples to apples, but the difference in coaches and supporting players is not that great as far as I see it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

It's not surprising how well Pau's playing in Chi Town. He's appreciated there. All he heard he was his name in trade talks.

He's averaging 18.8 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 1.9 blkpg 2.1 ast. Given his props he would have done the same here. He's not asked to do things in Chi that aren't his strengths.

Pau's going to be a all star this year.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject:

New Pau interview for NBA TV

He talks about the Lakers and Kobe

Pau Gasol is nice
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 14 of 28
Jump to: