Michael Brown Shooting By Police Sparks Vigil, Protest, Looting And Calls For Federal Probe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/17/3604493/los-angeles-body-cams/

ndeed, statistics indicate that cops who use body cams often alter their behavior. In Rialo, CA, officers were equipped with body cameras in 2012, the number of complaints against police plummeted 88 percent over a 12-month period. And use of force incidents also dropped by 60 percent. So far a major impediment to body cam use nationwide is the hefty cost of each unit: $300-$400.

----------
LAPD will start getting body cams next year.

Quote:
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching"
John Wooden

Maybe humans could find a way to train/exercise our Conscience from the earliest moment of cognition.

Whatever happened to The Golden Rule..seems like a simple religion.

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
Abraham Lincoln
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Ferguson may be the beginning of a change in law enforcement officers being held responsible for their actions.

Right now it's all posturing. Until upper echelon enforcement management is held accountable and are at least sanctioned it will be business as usual.

Prosecutor: Some Ferguson witnesses clearly lied

LINK

Quote:

State Rep. Karla May is pushing for a state investigation of McCulloch, and whether he "manipulated" the grand jury into the decision.

Quote:
"Many St. Louis-area residents believe - and there is at least some evidence to suggest - that Mr. McCulloch manipulated the grand jury process from the beginning to ensure that Officer Wilson would not be indicted," May wrote.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Fallout wrote:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/17/3604493/los-angeles-body-cams/

ndeed, statistics indicate that cops who use body cams often alter their behavior. In Rialo, CA, officers were equipped with body cameras in 2012, the number of complaints against police plummeted 88 percent over a 12-month period. And use of force incidents also dropped by 60 percent. So far a major impediment to body cam use nationwide is the hefty cost of each unit: $300-$400.

----------
LAPD will start getting body cams next year.

Quote:
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching"
John Wooden

Maybe humans could find a way to train/exercise our Conscience from the earliest moment of cognition.

Whatever happened to The Golden Rule..seems like a simple religion.

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
Abraham Lincoln

lol I like how they use $300-$400 as an excuse not to adopt body cames. thats barely even a drop in the bucket when you look at all the money thrown at law enforcement
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
nickuku wrote:
http://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com/2014/12/10/breaking-the-real-michael-brown-they-dont-want-you-to-see-shocking-video-release/

FYI. Someone just posted this on facebook. I can't tell for sure if its him but there is a strong resemblance.

Can't tell if it's him or not. But dude definitely can't fight. Typical big bully. He'd be taken out by a middleweight MMA fighter in about 30 seconds.

Phoenix Jones has a 4 - 1 MMA record.

LINK

Ok, ok, 37 seconds! Love the Thai rear kick to the thigh. Amazing how much power they generate and how much they hurt. Was practicing them today with my instructor. Just brutal. Loved how he got him against the wall, straight right and lights out. Didn't even have to go to the knee to the body then head.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

#BlackLivesMatter Demonstrators Bring In New Year With Protests

LINK

The parents of Michael Brown said they didn't want their son's death to be in vain. Judging from ongoing demonstrations it looks like they may get their wish.

Quote:
The recent police killings of numerous black men have sparked outrage and prompted nationwide responses from activists seeking to bring about change -- and New Year’s Eve was no exception.

As revelers nationwide bid goodbye to 2014, protesters brought in the new year by rallying in major U.S. cities, proving that the fight to end police brutality against black lives will not vanish anytime soon.

I thought this movement had legs, I may have been right.

I think more attention will be given to the shooting of possibly innocent Black men. I don't foresee a real change in policing until those at the top of the food chain are held accountable.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Jodeke, I think that this is yet another case where the positions of both sides are hardening, not softening. The counter-narrative is that people who resist arrest or get hostile with police officers don't deserve sympathy. There's some truth in that, though I can understand how the policies of the NYPD in particular would lead to an undercurrent of resistance.

The reactions from the NYPD in particular have been a bit startling, at least to me. From what I've seen of the opinion polls, the public in NYC generally takes the side of the police. As for people at the top being held accountable, they get evaluated based on crime rates and the perception of public safety. It is the public attitudes that need to change, and from what I've seen, that isn't happening. However, I did see one poll indicating widespread support for the use of special prosecutors in police misconduct cases. That's encouraging.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

Stances harden when people vilify entire groups.

Sure, there's a problem. But pointing at a group and saying, "These people are evil" doesn't solve it. But it sure does a lot in making sure that you don't get their cooperation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jodeke, I think that this is yet another case where the positions of both sides are hardening, not softening. The counter-narrative is that people who resist arrest or get hostile with police officers don't deserve sympathy. There's some truth in that, though I can understand how the policies of the NYPD in particular would lead to an undercurrent of resistance.

The reactions from the NYPD in particular have been a bit startling, at least to me. From what I've seen of the opinion polls, the public in NYC generally takes the side of the police. As for people at the top being held accountable, they get evaluated based on crime rates and the perception of public safety. It is the public attitudes that need to change, and from what I've seen, that isn't happening. However, I did see one poll indicating widespread support for the use of special prosecutors in police misconduct cases. That's encouraging.

Agreed. From looking at the various reporting on the matter (and certainly the comments on such reporting), it's pretty clear that the tension and debate in recent months has driven those on the ends of the spectrum even further into their stances. I don't think it helps that Michael Brown is continuing to be viewed as purely a victim when he clearly played a large role in what occurred. It's a murky case at best, and shouldering him as a martyr to police violence has only fueled those who fall staunchly on the side of Law Enforcement and provided them with the ammunition to claim that those on the other side are just flat out wrong. On the other end of the spectrum, when Law Enforcement takes the position and actions that it has in recent months, it quite rightly fuels the argument that LE is out of control and the system is broken beyond repair.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

LINK

AH
Relating to polls this is a good read. It involves stop and frisk and what percent say it's acceptable. I was surprised by the high percent of Hispanics that thought was acceptable. The divide is by city section and party affiliation.
Quote:
Opinions about stop-and-frisk fall are divided by race. Fifty-five percent of whites described the use of the tactic as acceptable; 56 percent of blacks called it excessive. Among Hispanics, 48 percent said it was acceptable and 44 percent said it was excessive. Republicans, independents and residents of Queens generally support the practice; Democrats and Manhattanites generally deem it excessive.

My understanding is the broken windows policy instituted by Bill Bratton has not reduced crime.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Whatever happened in regards to the kid the cops murdered in wal-mart?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Is thsis what you're referring to?

Quote:
A special grand jury called to review evidence in the fatal shooting of John Crawford III, killed by police in an Ohio Walmart while carrying a BB gun from store's shelves, decided today that no officers involved in the shooting will be indicted. A disturbing video of Crawford's shooting was also released, showing he had the BB gun pointed at the floor when he was shot

Horrifying Video of Wal-Mart Shooting Shows Cop Executing Terrified Kid

LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jodeke... Sigh... Tough on the heart...very!

So can the indict the trainers? These officers must be trains to shoot blacks faster than whites since it sure seems they do that

jodeke wrote:

Quote:
A special grand jury called to review evidence in the fatal shooting of John Crawford III, killed by police in an Ohio Walmart while carrying a BB gun from store's shelves, decided today that no officers involved in the shooting will be indicted. A disturbing video of Crawford's shooting was also released, showing he had the BB gun pointed at the floor when he was shot

LINK
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Link not working for me. But your description sounds very very very bad.

Like... cold blooded murder death penalty bad.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

LINK

See if this works LINK

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

LINK

See if this works LINK

Murder.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I would want to know what the cops thought was happening and what they had been told. I smell a rat here.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tasha Thomas, a mother of three young boys whose voice was featured prominently nationwide after her boyfriend was shot to death by police inside the Beavercreek Walmart in August, was killed Thursday along with a friend following a car crash in Dayton. She was 26.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/news/girlfriend-of-man-killed-by-police-in-walmart-dies/njfbN/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tasha Thomas, a mother of three young boys whose voice was featured prominently nationwide after her boyfriend was shot to death by police inside the Beavercreek Walmart in August, was killed Thursday along with a friend following a car crash in Dayton. She was 26.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/news/girlfriend-of-man-killed-by-police-in-walmart-dies/njfbN/

I couldn't listen to the entire video of Tasha being questioned by the detective. It was very upsetting the way he was badgering her.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Grand Juror Sues McCulloch, Says He Mischaracterized The Wilson Case

I just ran across this, from this morning. This seems like it would be a big deal, or at least, a medium deal.

“In [the grand juror]’s view, the current information available about the grand jurors’ views is not entirely accurate — especially the implication that all grand jurors believed that there was no support for any charges,” the lawsuit says. “Moreover, the public characterization of the grand jurors’ view of witnesses and evidence does not accord with [Doe]’s own.”

“From [the grand juror]’s perspective, the investigation of Wilson had a stronger focus on the victim than in other cases presented to the grand jury,” the lawsuit states. Doe also believes the legal standards were conveyed in a “muddled” and “untimely” manner to the grand jury.

“From [Doe]’s perspective, although the release of a large number of records provides an appearance of transparency, with heavy redactions and the absence of context, those records do not fully portray the proceedings before the grand jury,” the lawsuit says.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/grand-juror-sues-mcculloch-says-he-mischaracterized-wilson-case
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. On the one hand, we really don't need dissident grand jurors getting into the public debates, writing books, etc. On the other hand, once the grand jury record gets opened to the public, why shouldn't they be allowed to talk about it? Under these specific circumstances, I'd come down on the side of "Doe."
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152409165407282&fref=nf

Supposedly that's video of Michael Brown.

I'm not quite sure though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

That video was posted earlier. I'll copy/paste my previous comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way that's him. Brown is 6'4".

Unless that guy he socked was 6'9" and everyone in that video was from the land of giants.

Doesn't even resemble him other than a fat, black dude.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

The consensus seems to be that it is not Michael Brown in that video.
It sure does not look to me like his face or stature.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Looked a little short.

Felt bad for the older dude though.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Debunked.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/shawnspall.asp
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 55 of 57
Jump to: