General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 337, 338, 339 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
For those that missed it, it wasn't on the main TV card:

It was supposed to be on Showtime Extreme, but TWC f'd up my cable before it started, so nothing recorded.

step ya game up .... get that Directv ..... stop bs'ing

Double stamp. Picture quality is world's apart. I record anything boxing, there's so many fights in my dvr it's hard to keep up.

I accidentally deleted all the boxing on my dvr. Had a strong collection. Brutal. Now watching this Herrera robbery.

dough, was that DirecTV error or your own? Not making a strong case for them...LOL.

And yes, I feel really bad for Herrera. The guy keeps getting robbed left and right. That was worse than the Bradley decision.

Surprisingly, Julie Lederman is the one who had the card that was questionable for the Bradley vs. Chaves fight, and she's usually on point with her decisions.

That surprised me, as you say she's usually on point. Harold had it 116 112 Bradley, opposite of Julie.

That was crazy too, that she was the complete opposite of her Dad! I typically find my scores 1 round different from Harold and Julie (at most).

Just makes me wonder, since she typically would be a NY judge, did someone get to her?

A score like that, to no surprise, unleashes a conspiracy theory. I don't think Julie got paid. I really don't know what to think about her card.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when she and her dad discussed the differences in their cards.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
For those that missed it, it wasn't on the main TV card:

It was supposed to be on Showtime Extreme, but TWC f'd up my cable before it started, so nothing recorded.

step ya game up .... get that Directv ..... stop bs'ing

Double stamp. Picture quality is world's apart. I record anything boxing, there's so many fights in my dvr it's hard to keep up.

I accidentally deleted all the boxing on my dvr. Had a strong collection. Brutal. Now watching this Herrera robbery.

dough, was that DirecTV error or your own? Not making a strong case for them...LOL.

And yes, I feel really bad for Herrera. The guy keeps getting robbed left and right. That was worse than the Bradley decision.

Surprisingly, Julie Lederman is the one who had the card that was questionable for the Bradley vs. Chaves fight, and she's usually on point with her decisions.

That surprised me, as you say she's usually on point. Harold had it 116 112 Bradley, opposite of Julie.

That was crazy too, that she was the complete opposite of her Dad! I typically find my scores 1 round different from Harold and Julie (at most).

Just makes me wonder, since she typically would be a NY judge, did someone get to her?

A score like that, to no surprise, unleashes a conspiracy theory. I don't think Julie got paid. I really don't know what to think about her card.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when she and her dad discussed the differences in their cards.

Now that would definitely be interesting.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
China's double Olympic gold medallist Zou Shiming will get his first professional world title shot against International Boxing Federation (IBF) flyweight title holder Amnat Ruenroeng in Macau in March, it was announced Wednesday.

Zou (6-0, 1 KO) will be up against a familiar foe in the unbeaten Thai Ruenroeng (14-0, 5 KOs).

The pair fought three titanic battles during their amateur careers, with Zou winning on the last two occasions. This included a 5-2 points decision in the 2010 Asian Games light flyweight semi-final as the Chinese fighter went on to win gold.

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said Zou, the poster boy for boxing in China from Guizhou, deserved his world title shot, despite only having six fights and having been a professional for just 23 months.

"Zou has earned his right to fight for a professional world championship belt," said Arum, 82, who has promoted some of the world's greatest fighters from Muhammad Ali to Manny Pacquiao in a career spanning 50 years.

Earned after 6 professional fight with a few of them being under ten rounds? Uh, no.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Quote:
China's double Olympic gold medallist Zou Shiming will get his first professional world title shot against International Boxing Federation (IBF) flyweight title holder Amnat Ruenroeng in Macau in March, it was announced Wednesday.

Zou (6-0, 1 KO) will be up against a familiar foe in the unbeaten Thai Ruenroeng (14-0, 5 KOs).

The pair fought three titanic battles during their amateur careers, with Zou winning on the last two occasions. This included a 5-2 points decision in the 2010 Asian Games light flyweight semi-final as the Chinese fighter went on to win gold.

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum said Zou, the poster boy for boxing in China from Guizhou, deserved his world title shot, despite only having six fights and having been a professional for just 23 months.

"Zou has earned his right to fight for a professional world championship belt," said Arum, 82, who has promoted some of the world's greatest fighters from Muhammad Ali to Manny Pacquiao in a career spanning 50 years.

Earned after 6 professional fight with a few of them being under ten rounds? Uh, no.

Well, no more deserving that Lomachenko or Rigondeaux either, but not surprisingly, all Top Rank guys...LOL

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Floyd's 50th fight will be against Manny.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:

that would be a nice capper to a historic career.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:

I could see that. may 2016.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Quote:

Well, no more deserving that Lomachenko or Rigondeaux either, but not surprisingly, all Top Rank guys...LOL

Pretty much. Title shots after two to six pro fights is never a good thing.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

Andre Dirrell looked pretty good. It was against Edwards who got that hype from having Badu Jack stumbling all over the place. Dirrell probably needs another fight before trying to fight Froch again.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

Stevenson put hands on some Russian cat who shouldn't have been in the ring with him. It's good that the WBC is making him fight the winner of Kovalev-Pascal. I just hate that their fight is in Montreal. I really hope Kovalev doesn't get jobbed.

Quote:
The light heavyweight showdown between WBO/WBA/IBF titleholder Sergey Kovalev and former RING/WBC champ Jean Pascal will take place at the Montreal Bell Centre in Pascal’s adopted hometown of Montreal, the bout’s co-promoters Main Events and InterBox announced on Wednesday.

The bout, which will be televised live on HBO in the U.S., takes place on March 14. Tickets go on sale on the morning of Dec. 20, according to the press release, which also stated that a kick-off press conference for the fight will be held early next week.

Najib Mohammedi, the mandatory contender for the IBF title, agreed to step aside to allow the bigger fight to happen before his shot at Kovalev. He will fight on the Kovalev-Pascal undercard, according to the press release.

“We all intend to start off the New Year with a bang, and Kovalev vs. Pascal will certainly deliver fireworks. Our fans deserve the very best fights, and those are the fights we will concentrate to make,” Jean Bedard, president of InterBox, which represents Pascal, stated in the press release.

“The undercard is yet to be determined, but we are already at work with Main Events to match the best vs. the best. One thing is for sure, our athletes will have to be ready for some major challenges if they want to box on this card.”

Kathy Duva, CEO of Main Events, which promotes Kovalev, stated: “I received a very warm welcome in Montreal when I attended Pascal’s last fight at the Bell Centre. I’m excited to return with Sergey and to work with Jean Bedard and his staff at Interbox. I’m sure we will put together the best fight card of the year.”

The press release also mentioned that Kovalev, who scored the biggest victory of his career by shutting out Bernard Hopkins over 12 rounds in November, is back in North America following a brief vacation in his native Russia. He is expected to begin his camp for Pascal very soon.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Klitschko, whose 18th title defense will take place on April 25 in the second fight of his three-fight HBO contract, will fight at the Barclays Center in what will be the first heavyweight championship bout at the 2-year-old arena, which has already hosted more than a dozen fight cards.

Klitschko's opponent is not signed yet, but his team is far down the road in negotiations with unbeaten Philadelphia contender Bryant Jennings and the deal is expected to be wrapped in the next couple of weeks.

"The fight will be at the Barclays Center and we are very, very pleased," Bernd Boente, Klitschko's manager, told ESPN.com on Wednesday night. "The contract is not signed yet but we have a handshake deal and we are getting everything finalized. It's a really good deal for both sides. We are all looking forward to a big event."

Boente said that if the deal with Jennings (19-0, 10 KOs) is not finalized, Klitschko (63-3, 54 KOs) would still fight at the Barclays Center but against a different opponent.

Boente had also been in talks with the Barclays Center's rival New York arena, Madison Square Garden. Klitschko, who is from Ukraine but a huge star in Germany, where his fights usually take place, has not fought in the United States since unifying two belts with a one-sided decision victory against Sultan Ibragimov at Madison Square Garden in 2008.

Klitschko, however, has wanted to fight in New York again and the new deal with HBO, which began with his fifth-round knockout of Kubrat Pulev on Nov. 15 in Germany, made it more feasible.

"The Barclays offer was better (than Madison Square Garden's)," Boente said. "We really like the people at the Garden. I really like Joel Fisher (executive vice president of MSG Sports). We had fights with Wladimir and (older brother) Vitali there, but the overall cooperation is better with Barclays. They are putting huge marketing money into this and that is important."

Boente and Brett Yormark, the Barclays Center CEO, held talks about the arena hosting a Klitschko defense as the arena's first boxing event in 2012, but it fell through because, at the time, the arena had an exclusive deal with Golden Boy Promotions to put on boxing events and Klitschko was not interested in cutting it in when it had nothing to do with his career. Now that Golden Boy is no longer exclusive, Boente said he and Yormark made a deal.

"They really want to have this event. I had meetings with the Garden and Barclays and Brett really wanted a Klitschko fight," Boente said. "Remember, they wanted to open the arena with one of Wladimir's fights. We are really excited to go there. I've been through the whole arena. It's fantastic, a great arena. It's one the best arenas I've seen."

Klitschko typically trains in the Austrian mountains for his fights but Boente said that Klitschko, who resides in Hollywood, Florida, will train there, which will keep him closer to his fiancé, actress Hayden Panettiere, who gave birth to their first child, a girl named Kaya, on Dec. 9.

"A review on the year: The birth of my daughter, two successful championship defenses and many other achievements on the way," Klitschko wrote on his Instagram account on Monday. "It was a great year and I'm looking forward to 2015. I'm ready to take on new challenges!"

The fight will take place just days after Klitschko will have begun his 10th year with a world title, second-longest in heavyweight history. Klitschko, the lineal champion and owner of three major alphabet belts, began his second title reign by knocking out Chris Byrd in the seventh round on April 22, 2006 in Germany, and is chasing Joe Louis' all-time record of 11 years, 8 months, 8 days as heavyweight champion.

Klitschko's 17 consecutive title defenses are third-most in heavyweight history behind only Larry Holmes (20) and Louis (25, which is an all-time record for any weight class).

Dr. Steelhammer in 8. By time Jennings get through that jab, his face may look like hamburger.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

Stiverne needs to watch this. Don't (bleep) with Don King.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Andre Dirrell looked pretty good. It was against Edwards who got that hype from having Badu Jack stumbling all over the place. Dirrell probably needs another fight before trying to fight Froch again.

Didn't he have Froch beaten until he ran out of gas? I kinda remembe it that way. I'm sure he'll be in better shape next time. He needs to sit down on his punches more, ramp up his power.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Didn't he have Froch beaten until he ran out of gas? I kinda remembe it that way. I'm sure he'll be in better shape next time. He needs to ramp up his power though.

It was an ugly fight. Dirrell had the sharper punches but did a lot of holding and back peddling. Even had a point taken away. Froch got away with one.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I may be late to the party here.. anyone catch that Johnny Tapia documentary on hbo? loved it.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
I may be late to the party here.. anyone catch that Johnny Tapia documentary on hbo? loved it.

just caught it today. had to get through National Geographic Big Cat week. Lotta lion and tiger crap I had to go through. Great documentary. Just when it seemed like he turned the corner, bam, he dies. Kinda like Road Warrior Hawk.

dude was a beast in the ring.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

forgot how great his left hook to the body was.

Maybe i never noticed or i was too young back then to see that about em.. but man what a relentless fighter he was man.. so intense, never gives up. Love it.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

no real boxing savvy. just a hard nosed puncher-brawler who loved to bleed and throw hands. Just those demons got to him. Seeing what that dude has been through, he shoulda been dead at 25-30. Just crazy.

Love me some Johnny Tapia. One of the forgotten guys. Kinda good to see him brought back to life.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Ernie Terrell, whose brief reign as heavyweight champion ended with a punishing loss to Muhammad Ali in a 1967 grudge match, has died. He was 75.

The son of Mississippi sharecroppers and longtime Chicago resident worked as fight promoter after his boxing career ended. Terrell also twice ran unsuccessfully for alderman of his far South Side neighborhood and built a janitorial company that eventually employed 100 people. He died Tuesday in Chicago of complications from Alzheimer's disease, according to his wife Maxine.

Terrell's big break came in 1965, when he met Eddie Machen for the World Boxing Association title that was declared vacant after Ali insisted on a rematch with Sonny Liston before fighting a WBA-mandated contender. Terrell, who stood 6-foot-6 and deployed a withering jab with his 82-inch reach, won a unanimous 15-round decision over Machen and defended his crown against George Chuvalo and Doug Jones. In 55 professional fights, he posted a 46-9 record with 21 knockouts.

Terrell's tenure at the top of the fight game was controversial, though, because most of the boxing world considered Ali -- who still held the World Boxing Council crown at the time -- the true heavyweight champion. A bout between the two was finally arranged for February, 1967, at the Astrodome, but the fireworks began long before they stepped into the ring.

By then, Ali had converted to Islam and no longer went by his birth name, Cassius Clay. But Terrell, who had known him for years, repeatedly referred to him as "Clay." It was the same tactic used by Floyd Patterson ahead of his fight with Ali, and it resulted in Terrell suffering the same brutal beating Ali had administered to Patterson.

"You just act just like an old Uncle Tom," Ali said leading up to the bout. "I'm gonna punish you."

Ali was as good as his word, mercilessly pummeling Terrell during a 15-round decision while peppering him with the taunt "What's my name?" Terrell said afterward that neither Ali's punches nor his insults had as big an impact on the fight as what happened during an early clinch.

"I had a great chance to win that fight," Terrell recalled in the book "Muhammad Ali: Through the Eyes of the World."

"I was bigger than Ali at that point. But during the second round of the fight, we got caught in a headlock, and he took his thumb, and he poked it in my eye. After that," his account continued, "it looked like I was fighting two Alis."

Though the fighters remained friends, Terrell repeated his contention that Ali purposefully stuck a thumb in his eye, telling the Chicago Sun-Times in a 2009 interview, "I never forgave him." But in an interview with USA Today that same year, he also expressed some regret over his decision to refer to Ali as Clay.

"We were fighting. What was I supposed to do, give him Christmas gifts?" Terrell recalled.

After the Ali bout, Terrell lost to Manuel Ramos and Thad Spencer and announced his retirement in 1967. He returned to the ring in 1970 with a string of wins before losing back-to-back fights against Chuck Wepner and Jeff Merritt, retiring for good in 1973.

With a strong background in music -- Terrell's sister, Jean, succeeded Diana Ross with the Supremes -- Terrell made the transition to the entertainment business soon afterward. His group, Ernie Terrell and the Heavyweights, was featured on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" and headlined Las Vegas lounge shows. Terrell's friend, Mike Joyce, the boxing coach at Leo High on the city's South Side and coincidentally, Ali's son-in-law, told the Sun-Times that Terrell made more money playing music than he did in the fight game.

"He had a lot of heart," Joyce said. "Obviously, he took some beatings. He was just a strong, nice person."

A wake is planned for Dec. 26.

a serious beating was dished out in that fight ..... RIP
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Ali should be getting out of the hospital soon ...... gonna be a sad day when he passes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Ali should be getting out of the hospital soon ...... gonna be a sad day when he passes.

Muhammad Ali Hospitalized with Pneumonia

LINK

I didn't know he'd been hospitalized. Nice to know he's OK, as OK can be in his condition.

You're right DB it's going to be a sad day when he passes. He'll be gone but his legacy and contributions will live forever.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Muhammad Ali Hospitalized with Pneumonia

LINK

I didn't know he'd been hospitalized. Nice to know he's OK, as OK can be in his condition.

You're right DB it's going to be a sad day when he passes. He'll be gone but his legacy and contributions will live forever.

yup.... anyone who beats up the US Government, gotta love him.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Didn't he have Froch beaten until he ran out of gas? I kinda remembe it that way. I'm sure he'll be in better shape next time. He needs to sit down on his punches more, ramp up his power.

I recall scoring that fight 8-4 for Dirrell... close but clear decision for Dirrell and recall that most people felt he won the fight. Ran around the ring a lot but clearly landed more punches and landed at a higher %. Fight was in Froch's hometown though so he was gonna get the decision...
KobeStark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:

I just hope it happens before either one is 50 years old!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Floyd is posturing so his May weekend don't get taken by a fight many would watch. Cotto v Canelo, two solid PPV draws. That fight could do 1 million
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 337, 338, 339 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 338 of 514
Jump to: