Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the 2015 draft, will they owe Phoenix a pick in 2016? If so, will it be lottery-protected too?
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Yes, top 3 protected in 2016
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject:

If memory serves correct they would owe their 2016 pick to Phoenix unless it was in the top 3.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject:

if we keep the pick we would have two blue chip prospects with kobe and swaggy p and atleast one impact free agent. that team would be competing in the west. i wouldn't say contender but atleast in the playoff hunt. just gotta keep it this year
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
if we keep the pick we would have two blue chip prospects with kobe and swaggy p and atleast one impact free agent. that team would be competing in the west. i wouldn't say contender but atleast in the playoff hunt. just gotta keep it this year

Way too much pressure and expectations for what would essentially be two rookies (yeah Randle won't technically be, but really he will), that were also probably 1 and done guys.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Would like to know who might be in the draft 2016. Wouldiit be better for the Lakers to get high up in that draft over 2015.?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes, they owe it.

BUT, the ideal scenario would be if the Lakers get good enough with picks, rookies, and free agents, that they make the playoffs and thus hand over a late first round pick.

To me, giving them a number 6 hurts more than a number 20
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:

Kobe + Nick Young + Earl Monroe-caliber player and a couple rookies is not a playoff team in the West. Sorry.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Sting wrote:

Kobe + Nick Young + Earl Monroe-caliber player and a couple rookies is not a playoff team in the West. Sorry.

Earl Monroe caliber? Yes it would be.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

What also needs to be considered is the possibility of finishing fifth worst and still having a 45% chance to lose the pick.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

What also needs to be considered is the lottery balls could "fall" the Lakers way ala Cleveland. Still a possibility.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject:

For the conspiracy subscribers, the NBA still owes the Lakers for the CP3 fiasco. Maybe it was too soon and too obvious to repay them last year. Maybe this might be our "lucky" year.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

KOBE2007MVP wrote:
Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the 2015 draft, will they owe Phoenix a pick in 2016? If so, will it be lottery-protected too?
Is there anybody in the upcoming draft worth getting that is even close to the caliber of talent that came out last year?
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:
Is there anybody in the upcoming draft worth getting that is even close to the caliber of talent that came out last year?

In my opinion there were no superstars in the last draft class. It was just deep with really good players. This coming draft class has legit superstar potential. It's on them how good they want to be.

Then after this class, look for this kid.

Last edited by Legacy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Okafor.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

As a UCLA Bruin homer, I'd be happy if the Lakers can obtain Kevon Looney to play up front with Randle. Probably would require a #14 pick to get him so it's probably not gonna happen. Looney in purple and gold would be enough to rekindle interest in my household to start watching the team more often again.

If the LAL retain the pick (if it lands in the top five), they'll need the BPA unless it implied a third 6'6" wing.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
As a UCLA Bruin homer, I'd be happy if the Lakers can obtain Kevon Looney to play up front with Randle. Probably would require a #14 pick to get him so it's probably not gonna happen. Looney in purple and gold would be enough to rekindle interest in my household to start watching the team more often again.

If the LAL retain the pick (if it lands in the top five), they'll need the BPA unless it implied a third 6'6" wing.

I like that Winslow SF from Duke. He's super athletic and I cn see being that Kwahi Leonard for us. His arms are super long and a terrific defender, he's my ideal SF.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

They owe 2016 to PHO, top 3 protected. And Orlando's 2017 pick is deferred to a 2018 pick.

If we keep 2016, we owe PHO a 2017 top 3 protected pick. If we keep that pick, then PHO gets unprotected 1st round pick in 2018.

Orlando gets a first round pick 2 years after PHO. Its 1-5 protected for 2017 and 2018, and unprotected in 2019.

If PHO does not get our pick until 2018, then Orlando's pick would convert to a 2nd round pick.

So tanking crew, pray for 3 more years.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Okafor.

Mariota

CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:

If we keep the 2015 pick, i.e. it is within 1-5, then we could potentially have 4 picks in the upcoming draft, as we will retain Houston's pick, provided it's between picks 15 - 30, in addition to our own 2nd round pick, and the Clippers 2nd round pick, if it's between 51 - 55(I think). That means the upcoming roster could have 5 rookies on next season's roster. That would be in addition to whatever free agents the Lakers signed in the upcoming off season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
Sting wrote:

If we keep the 2015 pick, i.e. it is within 1-5, then we could potentially have 4 picks in the upcoming draft, as we will retain Houston's pick, provided it's between picks 15 - 30, in addition to our own 2nd round pick, and the Clippers 2nd round pick, if it's between 51 - 55(I think). That means the upcoming roster could have 5 rookies on next season's roster. That would be in addition to whatever free agents the Lakers signed in the upcoming off season.

We only have our 2nd rounder this season if it is 31-40. Which it likely will be.
Dr. Jez
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Question: if the Lakers keep their pick in the upcoming draft...

Legacy wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

In my opinion there were no superstars in the last draft class. It was just deep with really good players. This coming draft class has legit superstar potential. It's on them how good they want to be.

Then after this class, look for this kid.

Needs to bulk up, but he will be a beast!
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject:

new draftees rarely translate to ready talent in NBA - but they are useful for future development of the team. I don't think the folks should be counting the chickens before they are hatched or salivating over potential picks..... frankly, it's quite delusional to think having great pick chances automatically translate to adding the necessary pieces for the team to get into PO or even becoming a contender.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Regarding that kid,,,Thon Maker, he is a knee injury waiting to happen. Watch his knees buckle inward when taking a jumper, not good on the cartilage/ligaments. I hope somebody else notices that and corrects it before he gets injured as he could be awesome.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: