Winslow or Johnson?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:

Wow, I really don't understand why so many people are down on my man mudiay. He's not as explosive an athelete as rose, wall, or Westbrook but he's a lot stronger than them. I think he makes up for the lack of speed and first step because of his strength and that keeps him in the elite athelete category. I think that people will change their minds about him after the combine.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Wow, I really don't understand why so many people are down on my man mudiay. He's not as explosive an athelete as rose, wall, or Westbrook but he's a lot stronger than them. I think he makes up for the lack of speed and first step because of his strength and that keeps him in the elite athelete category. I think that people will change their minds about him after the combine.

1. He's playing in China against inferior competition.
2. No jumpshot.
3. Lacks great change of direction skills in a confined space.
4. Lacks intensity on defense.
5. He's not an elite athlete.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

2. No jumpshot.

His jumpshot looked improved in China and I think he's an above average athelete. Not on John wall or drose level but he makes up for it with strength.i agree about his defense but I don't think he even tries at all. He does need a lot of space to operate and he should have plenty in the NBA with the high pick n roll.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

2. No jumpshot.

His jumpshot looked improved in China and I think he's an above average athelete. Not on John wall or drose level but he makes up for it with strength.i agree about his defense but I don't think he even tries at all. He does need a lot of space to operate and he should have plenty in the NBA with the high pick n roll.

He's an above average athlete. Are you seeing that with his play in China? Not really.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

I am not down on him, I just don't think he is anything special. I think he will be a good draft pick, but a bad top 4 draft pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Mudiay looks like his draft stock would be the one falling the most if he was playing college basketball right now. Almost worse than Oubre's had from lack of minutes. But Oubre bounced back nicely.

Mudiay however would be who he is regardless of minutes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mudiay looks like his draft stock would be the one falling the most if he was playing college basketball right now. Almost worse than Oubre's had from lack of minutes. But Oubre bounced back nicely.

Elite size at PG.
Very good ball-handling.

Sub average jumpshot.
Average finisher.
Turnover prone (IQ based)

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Elite size at PG.
Very good ball-handling.

Sub average jumpshot.
Average finisher.

Yes, and when you have trouble finishing in the foreign league that doesn't promote defense in any way, shape or form it's not a good thing at all. I'd honestly think his stock would drop out of top 5 if he was playing in college this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Elite size at PG.
Very good ball-handling.

Sub average jumpshot.
Average finisher.

Yes, and when you have trouble finishing in the foreign league that doesn't promote defense in any way, shape or form it's not a good thing at all. I'd honestly think his stock would drop out of top 5 if he was playing in college this year.

Exactly why I wouldn't draft him.

What's the difference between him and Myck Kabongo?

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Agree, Mudiay is legit. Has all the tools to be a great player in the league. He looks like a better prospect then Smart and Exum to me. I wouldn't draft him over Okafor or Johnson but he's still a top 5 prospect.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Elite size at PG.
Very good ball-handling.

Sub average jumpshot.
Average finisher.

Exactly why I wouldn't draft him.

What's the difference between him and Myck Kabongo?

height..and that's about it.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Agree, Mudiay is legit. Has all the tools to be a great player in the league. He looks like a better prospect then Smart and Exum to me. I wouldn't draft him over Okafor or Johnson but he's still a top 5 prospect.

That's what I think. okafor and Johnson should be the safe picks in this draft. Mudiay shouldn't fall outside of he too 5
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's what I think. okafor and Johnson should be the safe picks in this draft. Mudiay shouldn't fall outside of he too 5
I3eastIVIode
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Stanley will bump a defender and use an occasional spin move.

It's weird really. I don't see Stanley as a dynamically skilled player. People got on Wiggins last year for lacking ball-skills. Stanley has less than that.

Nor does he jump as high or have the same hands or wingspan.

What he does have is an incredible physique and motor.

But, I don't see any "power wings" doing well in the NBA. The best case was Gerald Wallace, but his first step was devastating and he exploded above the rim, nevermind his propensity to grab offensive rebounds.

Maybe that's a best case scenario, but even then, I still don't see it.

What's worse, is knowing that Winslow doesn't have as much perceived upside as Stanley. Stanley is absolutely raw and yet, filling up a stat sheet. Winslow can pass a bit, spot up behind the arc, and be a doberman. Two-way role player because of his lack of ball-skill. He too has a great motor, just not on the same level as Stanley.

Frankly, if I had a top 3 pick, I'd stay away from both. This is a bigman draft first.

Stanley is still developing and evolving as a player. His transition to being a wing really began between his junior and senior year of high school. He was primarily a post player through his sophomore year at Mater Dei. Although his outside shooting spiked as a junior he was still much needed in the paint.

My main difference between Johnson and Winslow (who are actually close friends) is that Stanley is a prospect with a high ceiling and a high floor. In comparison, Justise has a high ceiling but a low floor.

Stanley is more fundamentally sound and does a lot of things very well. He is coachable and has the skill set for a team to mold him into the type of player that they need him to be.

I easily see him developing into a valuable hybrid forward. A projection (or hybrid) of a player like Paul Millsap, Tobias Harris or Draymond Green is very fair right now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Stanley is still developing and evolving as a player. His transition to being a wing really began between his junior and senior year of high school. He was primarily a post player through his sophomore year at Mater Dei. Although his outside shooting spiked as a junior he was still much needed in the paint

That's part of the problem. That's also why I'm not a fan of Coach McKnight. The earlier the guard skills are learned, the better.

Why do you think Katin Reinhardt is struggling to find his place in Div I NCAA ball?

Quote:
Stanley is a prospect with a high ceiling and a high floor. In comparison, Justise has a high ceiling but a low floor.

Stanley is more fundamentally sound and does a lot of things very well. He is coachable and has the skill set for a team to mold him into the type of player that they need him to be.

Those are opinions. How is he more fundamentally sound? If you want to talk about hoop IQ and turnovers, A:TO ratio is a huge indicator of success at the NBA level.

Winslow has that. Stanley does not.

Quote:
A projection (or hybrid) of a player like Paul Millsap, Tobias Harris or Draymond Green is very fair right now.

That's not a good sign for someone who is considered a Top 10 pick.

I don't see him in any of those molds. He's a bigger Gerald Wallace. Not as quick. Not as fast. Not as explosive. Just stronger. Difference? Better jumpshot.

Then I see Justise Winslow with an above average A:TO ratio, getting nearly 3 assists a game beside PG heavy/ball-dominant Tyus Jones and Cook.

That's a HUGE indicator of hoop IQ. All Winslow needs is a more consistent jumpshot, which is the easiest thing to fix in the NBA.

Hoop IQ? A:TO ratio? FAR FAR more difficult to fix.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

2. No jumpshot.

He's an above average athlete. Are you seeing that with his play in China? Not really.

Have you seen his games against the Flying Tigers, Long Lions, and Sturgeons?

We're being harsh for pointing out that the algae in their rivers is harder to cut thru than their D in the paint. They're all suffering from black lung over there. It's a miracle they can even find their way to the arena in that smog.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:

I have Johnson higher in my list. Winslow does a lot things well, but to me, strikes as a jack of all trades, master of none. The shooting upside is kind of tempered by poor free throw shooting for now, his rebounding is decent, passing is decent, decent steals+blocks, decent DRPM...but nothing is super stand out-ish. His 2-point percentage is also quite eh at this stage. I like to have something that's super defined out of a player, and while Winslow can get there, he's not at that stage yet.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject:

Hezonja and Oubre are my top two wings now!!!
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject:

Oubre has improved a ton over the last months and he's always been high on my board, but no way would I draft him before Johnson. Johnson can do everything Oubre can at 6'8 245 lbs, the guy is a physical specimen. They actually played against each other.

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject:

Strength is not a huge deal at the PG position. And definitely no guarantee that you can get to the basket.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Oubre has improved a ton over the last months and he's always been high on my board, but no way would I draft him before Johnson. Johnson can do everything Oubre can at 6'8 245 lbs, the guy is a physical specimen. They actually played against each other.

I don't think Stanley Johnson can shoot very well.
Lakerhog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

If we don't take Winslow, we're going to regret it. That guy is a hell of a player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: