Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: A Different Drummer

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: A Different Drummer

Really nice article on Kareem:A Different Drummer: Getting inside the mind of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Quote:
In honor of Sports Illustrated's 60th anniversary, SI.com is republishing 60 of the best stories to appear in the magazine. Today's selection is "A Different Drummer," by John Papanek, which was originally published in the March 31, 1980 issue.

After years of moody introspection, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is coming out of his shell. But whether at home or on a basketball court or in a roller disco, he still steps to the music he hears.

DIFFERENT DRUMMER
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

What an amazing article. Read through the retrospectascope, how things turned out for so many mentioned. How great KAJ was, why he was the way he was, why he forced himself out of Milwaukee, that Jerry Buss was the new owner in town and Logo, the just out coach. I remember flippers because of a legendary Prince concert there and I was a bank teller at the California Federal Savings and Loan on Wilshire and Caps Ex was a customer there. How Cap thought about transferring from UCLA. Wow, just an excellent find!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Great article. Thanks for posting. For anyone who hasn't read Cap's autobiography, it's definitely worth getting.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Great article. Thanks for posting. For anyone who hasn't read Cap's autobiography, it's definitely worth getting.

Loved how they mentioned Quincy Jones. Whenever I think of Q, I remember how he started as a Jazz trumpet player but quit playing after touring with Clifford Brown. Told Brownie that after seeing him play trumpet, there was no point in him doing it. Ha, ha......Q did ok though.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Loved how they mentioned Quincy Jones. Whenever I think of Q, I remember how he started as a Jazz trumpet player but quit playing after touring with Clifford Brown. Told Brownie that after seeing him play trumpet, there was no point in him doing it. Ha, ha......Q did ok though.

I really enjoyed the article, that's why I posted it. Cap is an icon and a very complex & cerebral man. He transcends the game and is a living legend in every sense of the word.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Kareem, along with being the plausible NBA GOAT, has turned out to be the sport's finest citizen and exemplary human. All of the "aloof" talk during his career has always struck me as dumb jock-speak for someone who was obviously operating on a different intellectual plane.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing. Fun read.

Kareem = nuclear weapons - Del Harris
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: