Official 2015 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
DETROIT HAS FULLY MOBILIZED IT'S PANZER DIVISION!

(This is how you really tank!)
Quote:
In a rather shocking move, the Detroit Pistons have waived former All-Star forward Josh Smith to focus on developing younger talent.

Pistons race to the bottom has began with a BOOM!!

Actually he's helped their tank. Destroyed chemistry on that team. Now they MUST keep Monroe but that may back fire too.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
In a rather shocking move, the Detroit Pistons have waived former All-Star forward Josh Smith to focus on developing younger talent.

No way. He was a cancer and pretty bad shooter.

Monroe needs those mins over tweener J Smith.

Watching them start winning now with frontcourt of monroe/drummond
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

No way. He was a cancer and pretty bad shooter.

Monroe needs those mins over tweener J Smith.

Watching them start winning now with frontcourt of monroe/drummond

maybe, maybe not
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

And that's still a waste of money on a player you can't win with.

If you are waiting to spend money on guys you know you can win with then you must be in for a long, long rebuild. Adding assets makes sense to me, not cherry picking a FA every 2-3 seasons. Assets can be moved in deals to acquire guys you want. Not having assets means you have to be lucky.

Why would their strategy change in 1 summer? Last yr they could have had B level talent but they didnt sign

2015 summer is absolutely the summer to punt instead of signing B level like asik/DJ

With increased cap u have 3 max contracto offer. Ask durant who he wants to play with?

Noah? Al hordford? Conley? Lebron if opts in? CP3 if he opts out

I have answered that numerous times and this is the last, so maybe pay attention. If they had signed B level talent last season they wouldn't have cap space this season. If they sign role players next offseason, they will still have about a max and a half spot from Kobe's contract. So they can bring in some assets this next offseason and still have cap space in 2016. If they did that last season, no cap space in 2015.

Same goes for 2016. If they sign 2 b level players they lose a max spot in 2016.
Recent history shows they will punt if no home run and thats what i would support in this summer
U r taking about 1 max and i am talking about multiple max: almost 3 with cap jump

The max is based on a percentage of basketball related income, so it will increase with the cap. You are eliminating adding assets in 2015, I think that is a horrible idea.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
The important thing still undecided is whether or not the cap will be smoothed. If not, that will mean something along the lines of a 15 mil jump in 2016, which coupled with Kobe's salary, represents 40 mil in cap room even if the team uses all the cap around Kobe in 2015.

What this means is that if LA strikes out on a star in 15, they can still spend the 26-27 mil and still have two max slots for 16. So while they will try to go star first, if not, I believe they will add pieces anyway.

Wouldn't the max slot rise proportionally too? So if we have $40m, it may not be enough for 2 max contracts, maybe one max, and a slot that's about 80% of another max.

Not exactly proportionally since the max is based on a different percentage of BRI than the salary cap is, but the max would increase.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
The important thing still undecided is whether or not the cap will be smoothed. If not, that will mean something along the lines of a 15 mil jump in 2016, which coupled with Kobe's salary, represents 40 mil in cap room even if the team uses all the cap around Kobe in 2015.

What this means is that if LA strikes out on a star in 15, they can still spend the 26-27 mil and still have two max slots for 16. So while they will try to go star first, if not, I believe they will add pieces anyway.

Wouldn't the max slot rise proportionally too? So if we have $40m, it may not be enough for 2 max contracts, maybe one max, and a slot that's about 80% of another max.

Not exactly proportionally since the max is based on a different percentage of BRI than the salary cap is, but the max would increase.

So theoreticaly a 20% cap rise would be around the same for a max contract...just approximating. So a 20m contract is around 24m.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

So theoreticaly a 20% cap rise would be around the same for a max contract...just approximating. So a 20m contract is around 24m.

Basically since the difference is 44.74% of BRI for the salary cap and 42.14% for a max salary. Not a huge difference.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

any interest in Waiters/ B Haywood for J hill?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Not if you're the Cavs.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Not if you're the Cavs.

read on ESPN that Cavs are looking for a defensive Center. I must admit, i could not write that with a straight face...

j hill = defensive center
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
I can see the Lakers getting him.

No way he wants to come here. Only way he considers it is if not even a single decent team looks his way and he's left deciding the Sixers, Charlotte, or us. Thank god.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Right. It would put you in a position to pay two 7-9 year maxes, approximately. And of course, if you spent on other guys you could trade some assets. The point being that LA can add non max type salrkes in 15, and still get to a Coue maxes in 16.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Right. It would put you in a position to pay two 7-9 year maxes, approximately. And of course, if you spent on other guys you could trade some assets. The point being that LA can add non max type salrkes in 15, and still get to a Coue maxes in 16.

And the question remains whether Kobe wants to re-up in 2016 too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have several Dallas like scenarios they can employ if there is a feeding frenzy on the high targets, while still keeping cap flexibility and building trade asset flexibility simultaneously.

They could go for the cheaper center route like koufos and Davis near the mle, and either add a dragic type player, or give Lin the mle (which makes him an asset at sixth man pay) and a ten mil wing. With Randle back it improves the team to mediocre in the short term, while being able to slot in a couple of maxes going forward, or facilitate future trades. Add in a draft pick and room exception stopgap at wing or pg (depending on what they spend the cap on, and you create a lot of future scenarios with a jump in quality and depth for the short term.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I really hope the new cap in 2016 isn't smoothed over and it's just a giant $15 mil or so increase. That would benefit us and the rebuild dramatically. We could theoretically be legit contenders after summer 2016.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Sure, but you are as to still add a max and keep Kobe as a placeholder, or with another quality sub max deal, or the cap room to send a lower tier player or two for a rondo type transaction.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
I really hope the new cap in 2016 isn't smoothed over and it's just a giant $15 mil or so increase. That would benefit us and the rebuild dramatically. We could theoretically be legit contenders after summer 2016.

Right on Jim's timeline, and similar to Dallas.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I doubt kobe wants to reup after next season. I have a little doubt he will come back next yr.

its not even 1/3 of season and they are talking about his legs giving up.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Right on Jim's timeline, and similar to Dallas.

I have my fingers crossed. I want to be back in the top 4 of the West so bad I hate watching garbage basketball the last 2 seasons.

If only we could have Adam Silver give us the #1 pick and get Jahil Okafor.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Josh Smith > Jordan Hill
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

If kobe cannot get back to efficiencies and energy levels he can sustain to his satisfaction, I would not rule out a retirement after this season. Small chance, but possible. That would change everything.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If kobe cannot get back to efficiencies and energy levels he can sustain to his satisfaction, I would not rule out a retirement after this season. Small chance, but possible. That would change everything.

yupe. its surprising to me that he went all out on Wed practice and looked toasted in Friday's game
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Josh Smith > Jordan Hill

lol hell no
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

That's a possibility. He has said he would retireif he couldn't play at a high level
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Unless it is dirt cheap, I don't see it happening.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 2524, 2525, 2526  Next
Page 68 of 2526
Jump to: