LAKERS -at- MAVS - 12-26-14 - Quick Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:

Ellington is feast or famine; Boozer has zero lateral mobility. I watched him stand still while a rebound was bouncing two feet to the side of him. Wes is doing the same thing he did last season....taking stupid jumpers while sliding to one side. Our bigs leave Chandler to guard Rondo again and again.

It's time to go small ball and start Kobe, Lin, Price, Clarkson and Davis.
Why? More minutes for Davis and less minutes for Sacre.
Shaqtin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Ellington is feast or famine; Boozer has zero lateral mobility. I watched him stand still while a rebound was bouncing two feet to the side of him. Wes is doing the same thing he did last season....taking stupid jumpers while sliding to one side. Our bigs leave Chandler to guard Rondo again and again.

Can Kobe handle the running?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

JLinfanJoe wrote:
Quote:
"For a while there in the first half, it felt like this was his team and he was orchestrating everything. Hard to explain, but there was a comfort level out there. In the second half, he didn’t have quite that same comfort."

My initial impression is that Byron Scott just let Lin play his game against the Mavericks last night, instead of trying to impose what seems to be his vision for what a point guard should be (just play pesky defense, distribute the ball and get out of the way, and hit the occasional open jump shot or three?) vs. how Lin, as a good soldier, tried his earnest best to carry out Byron Scott's orders in so many games (typically frustrating losses where I thought Lakers could have, or even should have won, if Lin had just been allowed to play a more active role in offense) where some of Lin's harshest critics (i. e. a segment of Lin's fan base) called him passive, indecisive, mentally weak, or just not alpha enough.

I agree that he seemed to lose some of his command of the offense late in game, but I wonder if that is just because, at this point in his career, Lin just doesn't have a Peyton Manning like ability to immediately recognize any changes in defensive coverages and ruthlessly exploit the openings he immediately knows exist in that type of coverage. Lin also was visibly frustrated with another Laker not being in right spot on floor then, too, so second unit may still be learning to play with each other.

Does it look like Rick Carlisle changed up the defensive coverage he was throwing at Lin in second half (look or disguise to try and confuse Lin or make him uncertain what he was seeing)?

Reason I ask is that IIRC Lin has had alot of success against Darren Collision when he was coming off the bench for LA Clippers last year (Rockets Clippers game 2: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20131109&game=LACHOU & Rockets Clippers game 3: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20131109&game=LACHOU ), but lost his effectiveness in second half when I am guessing Doc Rivers adjusted and Kevin McHale provided no guidance to Lin on how to counter what he was seeing on the court then.

Even during Knicks Celtics game right after Linsanity ( http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20120304&game=NYKBOS ), Lin helped Knicks break open game in second quarter, but in the third quarter, Lin came out like seemingly like nothing had changed, and was throwing these casual passes out to three point line that I suspect he thought were still as wide open as in first half, but kept getting picked off. Seems like Doc Rivers adjusted and was actually baiting Lin into making passes that looked open, but defenders were just waiting to pick those passes off.

To me, Lin needs an assistant coach on sidelines to be his Peyton Manning and tell him what changes in defensive coverages he might be seeing, where the weaknesses and openings in that coverage should be, and how to ruthlessly exploit them

Lin has always been a tremendous loose ball getter and rebounder, but in Houston, right after that quality started showing up, Kevin Mchale told Lin to stop doing it because he said Lin needed to get back to maintain floor balance. Patrick Beverley started trying to copy what Lin naturally did well, and IIRC Rockets said there was some advanced stat that proved it was ok for him to continue to go for rebound, but not Lin. IIRC, Lin's rebounding ability was readily apparent even in D-League, where Eric Musselman had him play defense off ball (guarding someone who typically just spots up in corner), freeing him up to rebound without worrying about getting back in transition, and this also allowed him to get the rebound himself and push the ball up the court and attack very, very quickly, before defense could even get it's bearings, let alone set up in any sort of team defensive scheme (he didn't have to wait for another teammate to get rebound and pass the ball to him).

He is also not too shabby of a shot blocker either:

Lin blocks Tony Parker:

Lin blocks Derrick Rose:

Lin Blocks Compilation:
JLin is a good NBA player who would be a complimentary asset coming off the bench. This description could be applied to the entire roster. The team's success against the Warriors proved that they have the talent and potential to beat good teams. Their overall record, including the last few games, confirmed that they have yet the required mental toughness, self-confidence, skills and focus to be on elite teams that have high standards
/expectations/scrutiny in Lakerland that requires doing what is necessary to close/finish during critical times where teams like the Spurs step up the intensity on D and good coaches exploit weaknesses.

BScott's system was very successful for CP3 very early in his career starting with his rookie season. This might prompt why CP3 was very successful (before he was a proven NBA star) and JLin. One difference is that CP3 is able to finish where JLin has not. JLin has had success in a low-expectation environment in NYC and during the 2nd/3rd quarters of Laker games
Note: It should be noted that CP3 has also recently experienced the ability to not close in tight games

How many players (never mind the mellow JLin) has taken a clipboard from ANY head coach

The strength of JLin's game is not P&Rs but penetrating the paint, as noted by his stats. One could say that having Boozer and Swaggy on the court is much better than Johnson and Hill. If JLin is not able to close, teams will force him to close hence limiting any lanes for any cutters.

As Coach Dave have stated many times, if JLin's actions has resulted in 8-10 straight scores and stops, BScott will keep them on the court

It is funny that posters that say JLin took a clipboard from BScott are also saying that BScott is not giving the PG the freedom to do things. Look forward to when he is always in attack mode attacking the paint forcing D to collapse and create openings or finish

Great Job, DB
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Programming Note: I will be missing the next game. (Tough to get through these with limited time during the holidays!)

What a slacker!

Just kidding DB, you know how much we appreciate these.

Really can you believe this guy?
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Shaqtin wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

Can Kobe handle the running?

That's the problem. Kobe willfully shows the game down to his speed. That would be fine if he was shooting 50% ala MU.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
JLinfanJoe wrote:
Quote:
"For a while there in the first half, it felt like this was his team and he was orchestrating everything. Hard to explain, but there was a comfort level out there. In the second half, he didn’t have quite that same comfort."

My initial impression is that Byron Scott just let Lin play his game against the Mavericks last night, instead of trying to impose what seems to be his vision for what a point guard should be (just play pesky defense, distribute the ball and get out of the way, and hit the occasional open jump shot or three?) vs. how Lin, as a good soldier, tried his earnest best to carry out Byron Scott's orders in so many games (typically frustrating losses where I thought Lakers could have, or even should have won, if Lin had just been allowed to play a more active role in offense) where some of Lin's harshest critics (i. e. a segment of Lin's fan base) called him passive, indecisive, mentally weak, or just not alpha enough.

I agree that he seemed to lose some of his command of the offense late in game, but I wonder if that is just because, at this point in his career, Lin just doesn't have a Peyton Manning like ability to immediately recognize any changes in defensive coverages and ruthlessly exploit the openings he immediately knows exist in that type of coverage. Lin also was visibly frustrated with another Laker not being in right spot on floor then, too, so second unit may still be learning to play with each other.

Does it look like Rick Carlisle changed up the defensive coverage he was throwing at Lin in second half (look or disguise to try and confuse Lin or make him uncertain what he was seeing)?

Reason I ask is that IIRC Lin has had alot of success against Darren Collision when he was coming off the bench for LA Clippers last year (Rockets Clippers game 2: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20131109&game=LACHOU & Rockets Clippers game 3: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20131109&game=LACHOU ), but lost his effectiveness in second half when I am guessing Doc Rivers adjusted and Kevin McHale provided no guidance to Lin on how to counter what he was seeing on the court then.

Even during Knicks Celtics game right after Linsanity ( http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20120304&game=NYKBOS ), Lin helped Knicks break open game in second quarter, but in the third quarter, Lin came out like seemingly like nothing had changed, and was throwing these casual passes out to three point line that I suspect he thought were still as wide open as in first half, but kept getting picked off. Seems like Doc Rivers adjusted and was actually baiting Lin into making passes that looked open, but defenders were just waiting to pick those passes off.

To me, Lin needs an assistant coach on sidelines to be his Peyton Manning and tell him what changes in defensive coverages he might be seeing, where the weaknesses and openings in that coverage should be, and how to ruthlessly exploit them

Lin has always been a tremendous loose ball getter and rebounder, but in Houston, right after that quality started showing up, Kevin Mchale told Lin to stop doing it because he said Lin needed to get back to maintain floor balance. Patrick Beverley started trying to copy what Lin naturally did well, and IIRC Rockets said there was some advanced stat that proved it was ok for him to continue to go for rebound, but not Lin. IIRC, Lin's rebounding ability was readily apparent even in D-League, where Eric Musselman had him play defense off ball (guarding someone who typically just spots up in corner), freeing him up to rebound without worrying about getting back in transition, and this also allowed him to get the rebound himself and push the ball up the court and attack very, very quickly, before defense could even get it's bearings, let alone set up in any sort of team defensive scheme (he didn't have to wait for another teammate to get rebound and pass the ball to him).

Lin blocks Tony Parker:

Lin blocks Derrick Rose:

Lin Blocks Compilation:
JLin is a good NBA player who would be a complimentary asset coming off the bench. This description could be applied to the entire roster. The team's success against the Warriors proved that they have the talent and potential to beat good teams. Their overall record, including the last few games, confirmed that they have yet the required mental toughness, self-confidence, skills and focus to be on elite teams that have high standards
/expectations/scrutiny in Lakerland that requires doing what is necessary to close/finish during critical times where teams like the Spurs step up the intensity on D and good coaches exploit weaknesses.

BScott's system was very successful for CP3 very early in his career starting with his rookie season. This might prompt why CP3 was very successful (before he was a proven NBA star) and JLin. One difference is that CP3 is able to finish where JLin has not. JLin has had success in a low-expectation environment in NYC and during the 2nd/3rd quarters of Laker games
Note: It should be noted that CP3 has also recently experienced the ability to not close in tight games

How many players (never mind the mellow JLin) has taken a clipboard from ANY head coach

The strength of JLin's game is not P&Rs but penetrating the paint, as noted by his stats. One could say that having Boozer and Swaggy on the court is much better than Johnson and Hill. If JLin is not able to close, teams will force him to close hence limiting any lanes for any cutters.

As Coach Dave have stated many times, if JLin's actions has resulted in 8-10 straight scores and stops, BScott will keep them on the court

It is funny that posters that say JLin took a clipboard from BScott are also saying that BScott is not giving the PG the freedom to do things. Look forward to when he is always in attack mode attacking the paint forcing D to collapse and create openings or finish

Great Job, DB

That whole "finishing" thing is such a load and gets tiresome. Lin was statistically one of the best finishers at the rim of ANY guard in the league. But it is a team game. If the coach decides to run an offense that sees to let the defense put two bigs protecting the rim there is not much anyone besides Russell Westbrook can do.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject:

catman2u wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
JLinfanJoe wrote:
Quote:

Lin blocks Tony Parker:

Lin blocks Derrick Rose:

Lin Blocks Compilation:

Great Job, DB
That whole "finishing" thing is such a load and gets tiresome. Lin was statistically one of the best finishers at the rim of ANY guard in the league. But it is a team game. If the coach decides to run an offense that sees to let the defense put two bigs protecting the rim there is not much anyone besides Russell Westbrook can do.
CP3 was successful

Your point highlights why BScott has him playing with Swaggy and Boozer to space the court
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: