Clippers dissension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Would be hilarious if VDN was the best coach that the Clippers had with CP3 and Blake Griffin, and CP3 ran him out of town....
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

im going to drop by here and periodically remind everyone that i truly hate the clippers and i'd be impressed if someone had a deeper hate for them than me.

May they go down sooner than later and fall back into their destine status of sucking. Better yet, here's to them getting moved to another city.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The Clippers are not as talented as people think and they need a SF. Matt Barnes should be a bench player, not a starter. Also, it really hurts their defense when they have Reddick and Crawford in there. And now the Clipper bench is much weaker without Bledsoe/Collison.

Another obvious problem is DeAndre Jordan still being so limited offensively.

People criticize Paul but I think Blake Griffin is the guy who hasn't stepped up for them in the biggest games. He underperformed against OKC in the playoffs and really struggled against Ibaka.

They have too many weaknesses to win the conference.

You're right about people being too critical on Paul, but it's because (I believe, anyhow) that most of them know not to expect much out of Blake and Jordan at this point. They're dependent on Chris Paul, which makes Paul the de facto target. The team's top star gets the lion's share of the credit and the blame. Chris is the one in that position. Blake has already been uncovered as a bit of hype judging by fan consensus on message boards. But you're right about Blake. He's still young enough to get a pass from harsh criticism. He'll grow out of that soon. Jordan Hill is a tough cover because he wants to backdoor lob all game long. That's hard for a less athletic team to cover (and most teams are less athletic than them). When we were still semi-good, we had a hard time stopping effin Mikki Moore from converting those plays. Try doing it with Jordan Hill. However, there's only so far they can go with lobs in a 7 gm series. Adjustments are made. Then, as a series grinds on, I think Chris Paul begins to tire from captaining the clipper ship as much as he does. That's what it looked like when LA and the Hornets played in 2011, the worst damage he did to us was in the first few gms.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
im going to drop by here and periodically remind everyone that i truly hate the clippers and i'd be impressed if someone had a deeper hate for them than me.

May they go down sooner than later and fall back into their destine status of sucking. Better yet, here's to them getting moved to another city.

I would throw a party if they were ever moved!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Poor man's early 2000's Sacramento Kings. Flashy, fun, deep, talented, but not entirely built to win championships.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Janggoon8 wrote:
Poor man's early 2000's Sacramento Kings. Flashy, fun, deep, talented, but not entirely built to win championships.

i definitely see the similarities there.

a top PG
a dominant big with excellent passing skill
dead eye 3 point shooter
a top 6th man
experienced head coach

but just like those Kings, the head coach has the most playoff experience on the team, not their top players.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Janggoon8 wrote:

Difference is the Kings managed to improve each year...with the Clippers they are stuck in between 1st and 2nd round elimination.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) the clippers
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Janggoon8 wrote:

a top PG
dead eye 3 point shooter
a top 6th man
experienced head coach

but just like those Kings, the head coach has the most playoff experience on the team, not their top players.

It's a good comparison as there's are similarities but that Kings team lost to the eventual champions. These Clippers have had a few 1 or 2 and outs.

Those Kings teams had a hellacious half-court offense. It was a beautiful thing to see the passing on that team. These Clippers remind me of watching the Mark Jackson Warriors on offense (not player to player but in how they execute or lack thereof). A few pointless passes around the perimeter that ended up in a terrible post up or CP3/Curry/Klay/Crawford iso. They score points by the boatload because of overwhelming offensive talent in spite of the terrible play on that end.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Janggoon8 wrote:

a top PG
dead eye 3 point shooter
a top 6th man
experienced head coach

Bibby/Webber is similar to CP3/Blake but I think the comparison ends there.

Nobody on the Clippers is as good as Peja, and their role players don't even come close to guys like Bobby Jackson, Blonde Turkeyglue, or Doug Christie.

Plus I think Adelman was better for that team than Doc is for the Clips.

Those Kings were stacked. The only way to beat a team with 4 all star caliber players and a quality bench is with a team with 2 super stars in the prime (early prime in Kobe's case) of their careers. Lucky for us.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Janggoon8 wrote:

a top PG
dead eye 3 point shooter
a top 6th man
experienced head coach

Bibby/Webber is similar to CP3/Blake but I think the comparison ends there.

Nobody on the Clippers is as good as Peja, and their role players don't even come close to guys like Bobby Jackson, Blonde Turkeyglue, or Doug Christie.

Plus I think Adelman was better for that team than Doc is for the Clips.

Those Kings were stacked. The only way to beat a team with 4 all star caliber players and a quality bench is with a team with 2 super stars in the prime (early prime in Kobe's case) of their careers. Lucky for us.

Don't forget Vlade. In 16 years, his teams were only under .500 3 times. All 3 times were with rebuilding Lakers teams. Two years immediately after Magic and the post Shaq year in 04 when he barely played. A Charlotte team where the two best players were himself and Anthony Mason cracked 50 wins. Typical European skilled big man. Always making the right play for the team. That team was stacked.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Would be hilarious if OKC makes the playoffs and the Clippers miss it....
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

please dont tease me with these thoughts
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

Clippers are nothing like the Kings in the the early 2000s. Kings were one Horry shot away from winning it all. Clippers arent going to get close to a title. They have an overrated coach with a PG dominated/dunk heavy philosophy. Only player in the last 35 years who could lead his team to titles as a passing PG dominated team is Magic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Not if we lose the second round pick.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The Clippers are not as talented as people think and they need a SF. Matt Barnes should be a bench player, not a starter. Also, it really hurts their defense when they have Reddick and Crawford in there. And now the Clipper bench is much weaker without Bledsoe/Collison.

Another obvious problem is DeAndre Jordan still being so limited offensively.

People criticize Paul but I think Blake Griffin is the guy who hasn't stepped up for them in the biggest games. He underperformed against OKC in the playoffs and really struggled against Ibaka.

They have too many weaknesses to win the conference.

You're right about people being too critical on Paul, but it's because (I believe, anyhow) that most of them know not to expect much out of Blake and Jordan at this point. They're dependent on Chris Paul, which makes Paul the de facto target. The team's top star gets the lion's share of the credit and the blame. Chris is the one in that position. Blake has already been uncovered as a bit of hype judging by fan consensus on message boards. But you're right about Blake. He's still young enough to get a pass from harsh criticism. He'll grow out of that soon. Jordan Hill is a tough cover because he wants to backdoor lob all game long. That's hard for a less athletic team to cover (and most teams are less athletic than them). When we were still semi-good, we had a hard time stopping effin Mikki Moore from converting those plays. Try doing it with Jordan Hill. However, there's only so far they can go with lobs in a 7 gm series. Adjustments are made. Then, as a series grinds on, I think Chris Paul begins to tire from captaining the clipper ship as much as he does. That's what it looked like when LA and the Hornets played in 2011, the worst damage he did to us was in the first few gms.

Blake was 3rd in the league in MVP voting last season and I actually thought he was the best player on the Clippers last year. Two years ago it was clearly Paul.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe some of you comparing the early 00 kings teams to the Clippers

Those kings teams were in another league and it Superman and Batman to beat them.

Webber is way more of a complete Pf then Griffin will probably ever be.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
They were better with VDN. They were dominant in the regular season with him. And that was with a lesser version of Blake Griffin and D.Jordan.
If not for injruies in the playoffs to Blake and Cp3 while VDN was coaching, they could have went pretty far i think.
Also, maybe Cp3 is declining a little bit. he needs to be a more aggressive scorer.

Vdn is underrated. Not saying he's in jackson or pops league, but his teams are consistent and play hard. Don't know why we didn't consider him. I don't think byron has anything over him except for that little being a past laker thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: