Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Was Clarkson playing pg in the Summer League? I remember Kendall Marshall playing the point with Clarkson as the sg, but I don't know how many times that happened. I think Clarkson's natural position is sg. He'd be a great pg in the triangle offense though.

I'm cheering for this kid. Hope we can develop him like we did with Jodie Meeks.
Did we "develop" Meeks?
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Main reason I'm watching the rest of the games this whole season is to see how Clarkson develops over these next 30+ games.

I hope he takes advantage of the mins unless B-Scott changes his mind again lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

purple.23 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:
Was Clarkson playing pg in the Summer League? I remember Kendall Marshall playing the point with Clarkson as the sg, but I don't know how many times that happened. I think Clarkson's natural position is sg. He'd be a great pg in the triangle offense though.

I'm cheering for this kid. Hope we can develop him like we did with Jodie Meeks.
Did we "develop" Meeks?

I think so.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is a bigger Monta Ellis, can play PG at times but would probably be better playing off the ball. When he reaches his full potential I think he'll be scoring in the high teens, 17/4/4 player which would be a good 3rd option.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I would be happy if he develops into a reliable player off the bench. A 3rd option would be fantastic.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson is a bigger Monta Ellis, can play PG at times but would probably be better playing off the ball. When he reaches his full potential I think he'll be scoring in the high teens, 17/4/4 player which would be a good 3rd option.

Could be. I'm actually hoping he develops as a PG. There a enough tall SG's out there to give him trouble but as a tall PG, he could make a living. Anyway, depending on the offense he may not need to do much more than bring the ball down when he's not actually attacking....
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Could be. I'm actually hoping he develops as a PG. There a enough tall SG's out there to give him trouble but as a tall PG, he could make a living. Anyway, depending on the offense he may not need to do much more than bring the ball down when he's not actually attacking....
Agree, but PG/SG are interchangeable in todays NBA. The position you play has a lot to do with who you can guard. Clarkson has the size 6'5 and quickness to guard both PG's and SG's.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson looks like a combo guard to me....more a 2 than a 1 right now.

I doubt he's ever going to be an elite playmaker but he does appear to have the tools to guard the league's elite points. Offensively though, he's a score first combo guard who can dish a few dimes for you.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
deal wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Agree, but PG/SG are interchangeable in todays NBA. The position you play has a lot to do with who you can guard. Clarkson has the size 6'5 and quickness to guard both PG's and SG's.

No doubt.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Main reason I'm watching the rest of the games this whole season is to see how Clarkson develops over these next 30+ games.

I hope he takes advantage of the mins unless B-Scott changes his mind again lol
this.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Clarkson looks like a combo guard to me....more a 2 than a 1 right now.

I doubt he's ever going to be an elite playmaker but he does appear to have the tools to guard the league's elite points. Offensively though, he's a score first combo guard who can dish a few dimes for you.

So then he is a standard point guard of todays league. because that is how most guards in todays league are, or at least the star ones.
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Watching Clarkson shoot the ball in real time, I am reminded of what Pro Shooting System's said Michael Jordan's jump shot looked like before he adopted the sweep and sway:

Lin's jump shot was ugly when he entered NBA (he developed a hitch in his shot when he grew strong enough to shoot the ball from over his head around 8th grade), but he reworked it over several summers. He also had a wild leg kick then, too.

This is what Lin looked his first year in NBA, after 20 games in D-League with Eric Musselman:

(I think Lin has been working with that Pro Shooting System's Sweep and Sway coach at least this last summer because of tweet from this summer, and Lin shows up in one of their videos, as does Lin's original shooting coach Doc Schleppler. His shot right now doesn't look like it did this summer, I am guessing because of the incredibly inconsistent minutes and few shot attempts Lin gets per game:
). It's like that supple snap of his arm which seemed new this summer is gone (he looked like he gained alot more touch and feel on his shot this summer when YouTube highlights originally showed up of his reworked jump shot). Lin's shot looks totally discombobulated this season, I think because of so few shot attempts (I think he needs 10 shot attempts per game) and such inconsistent minutes (15 - 20 minutes) where he never establishes a rhythm and can carry it from game to game.

Hopefully Clarkson has the same type of work ethic and can rework his jump shot over time, too.

Clarkson's got really nice speed and athleticism.

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

GROWING PAIN TONIGHT

2-10 FOR 8 PTS, 2 dimes but 5 TURNOVERS

I'm still glad he got valuable minutes against good defensive pressure.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

He needs to get stronger and watch game film of Monta Ellis. Struggled offensively but the offensive system isn't helping him out, he needs to run more P&R. I did like his defense, he didn't let his play offensively change his mindset defensively.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

He kept attacking despite missing and his teammates missed a bunch of looks when he got them the ball. No big deal, move on to the next one. I'm just happy to finally get to see him play. He looks like a fast learner and he already has some very savvy moves.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Tough night for the rook going against Beverley's Defense.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson wasn't goo tonight, but he needs the time. We aren't winning anyways, so develop for the future. Price on the third string, as he always has been before and always should have been this season, is exactly right.
BigislandHank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

BS says he's got the next 20 games. Let's see what he can do with it. I think he'll be okay if he just does what he can do and not try to do things he can't.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

BigislandHank wrote:
BS says he's got the next 20 games. Let's see what he can do with it. I think he'll be okay if he just does what he can do and not try to do things he can't.

Oh fa real!? cool
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
purple.23 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

Did we "develop" Meeks?

I think so.

Considering that Meeks had made only 5mil over his entire career up to his stint with us and is now making 6mil a year in Detroit, I'd say we did develop him.

Granted, Meeks was fortunate that MDA was our coach at the time since he tends to maximize what guards can produce.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject:

Both he and Lin need to develop a stronger off hand.

Against a smart defender like Beverley, he kept getting poked cause Beverley knew Clarkson wasn't going to switch to his left hand. There was also one play where Clarkson was driving full-court, but was on the left side of the court. A natural ball handler would penetrate dribbling with his left and go for a left handed lay-up away from defenders. Clarkson kept dribbling right, and into the defense, then attempted a right handed shot that got rejected.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
BigislandHank wrote:

Oh fa real!? cool

I'm glad we start him. surely he will have really bad games but every rook is going to have bad games.

Every minute where he's on the court, he will learn and i'm sure that this guy will improve a lot till seasons end.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

purple.23 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

Did we "develop" Meeks?

I'd say so. Mike D'Antoni is probably to thank for that.

Jodies Meeks was atrocious off the dribble when he first got here. Then, D'Antoni came along and pretty much told Meeks (and rightfully so) to stick to what you do best LOL.

That next off-season, Meeks came back the next season with a much, much improved handle and finishing ability.. something he hadn't really shown prior to coming to the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

What an excellent pick by Mitch. Remember we bought the pick to get him from the Wizards.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What an excellent pick by Mitch. Remember we bought the pick to get him from the Wizards.

Yes i brought this up in the game thread. I feel like he is trying to show the Wiz what they gave up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 17 of 685
Jump to: