Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

we're gonna dump all our assets to NY to get Carmelo Anthony, sign Rajon Rondo as a free agent and then... Kobe will continue to decline and will only be able to play 1 out of 3-4 games, Carmelo's knee will melt off the bone and he will be on the disabled list most of the time and Rondo will be issuing trade demands. Meanwhile, the Knicks will hoist the championship trophy in 3 years with all the assets WE gave them... good times, good times...
ogPurpz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Would you guys take lillard for that package if it meant that LMA was also coming via free agency? I'm not saying it would happen but if it were plausible, would you bite?
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ogPurpz wrote:
Would you guys take lillard for that package if it meant that LMA was also coming via free agency? I'm not saying it would happen but if it were plausible, would you bite?

I would cringe at trading two top 10 picks for anyone outside of lebron, durant and probably AD. You are effectively trading two possible corner stone positions for one. I personally wouldn't do it for lillard. I would do a top 3 pick or Randle for Lillard but I know Portland would never do that type of deal.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
It's less concerning if you read it in context with the rest of the article. He's just exploring options.

You're right, but Ding definitely framed trading our draft picks away as the most likely/best possible occurrence.

It's also the section where he talked most about the FO's philosphy with definitive statements, like "the Lakers see this draft stuff as supplementary" or "Jim Buss doesn't have time to wait for Julius Randle to get healthy and steadily evolve into someone who can lead the Lakers."

The other two options he presents are filled with much more of his own personal speculation.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kevin Ding Commentary: Lakers could trade top 5 pick and Randle

Reflexx wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
Even if top unrestricted free agents such as Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan, Greg Monroe and Rajon Rondo (or restricted free agents Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green) don't want to come to the Lakers or switch teams at all this summer, the Lakers do plan on upgrading the roster in some meaningful way. It is imperative to show some roster progress next season to set the table to sell Kevin Durant and others in 2016.

Quote:
As much as fans are focused on the Lakers losing enough to keep a top-five 2015 draft pick that otherwise would have to be conveyed to Phoenix from the Steve Nash trade, the reality remains that the Lakers aren't about waiting for a bunch of kids to grow up.

So, yes, keeping the pick is a big deal—but it very well might be more important as a trade asset than for some raw talent who almost surely will be just finishing his freshman year in college. The Lakers also likely will get Houston's 2015 first-round pick from the Lin salary dump, but it won't be any higher than 15th.

Whereas Boston can't expect a free-agent bonanza and is hoarding draft picks as its primary means of rebuilding via youth or eventual trade, the Lakers see this draft stuff as supplementary.

Quote:
Jim Buss doesn't have time to wait for Julius Randle to get healthy and steadily evolve into someone who can lead the Lakers. That makes Randle either a supporting player to help incoming free agents—or a promising prospect, one the Lakers truly believe, to be flipped in a trade for greater immediate potential.

LINK

LOL, the Lakers are not going to do this, period. The Lakers could potentially land Jahlil Okafor, and put him in tandem with Julius Randle, which could evolve into one of the best C/PF combinations in the league. Why would they be inclined to trade those pieces, which could be a dominating force for at least a decade? Please stop insulting everyone's intelligence with such nonsensical options. I haven't even mentioned that the Lakers will most likely have a sizeable amount of cap space to utilize next year, and going into a season with young talent along with a superstar or two, & A HEALTHY KOBE BRYANT should be the front offices' ultimate plan for the immediate and near future success of this franchise.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Depends on which scenario you consider better...i'd take draft picks, young talent and cap flexibility anytime. However, with Jim Buss in the mix, you never know.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

We would not be any closer to title contention after trading Randle than we would be if we just kept him instead.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

When Golden State wins the Championship in June it will be with a core of Homegrown talent. Curry, Barnes, Thompson, and Green.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

A combination of drafting, developing talented players while simultaneously signing free agents that 'fit' is an ideal scenario. In short, use a combination of both methods to get back too our winning tradition.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
It's less concerning if you read it in context with the rest of the article. He's just exploring options.

Context only lessens the panic. It is a useless and annoying thing and therefore, we want nothing to do with it.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Ding is looking at the short term. These draft picks plus Kobe won't get a championship next year so he would rather see them flip the picks for established talent and convince Kobe to hang around longer to see if they can get a 3rd guy in free agency. They might be throwing away a franchise player or two in the process or it could be a couple Wesley Johnsons.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Ding is looking at the short term. These draft picks plus Kobe won't get a championship next year so he would rather see them flip the picks for established talent and convince Kobe to hang around longer to see if they can get a 3rd guy in free agency. They might be throwing away a franchise player or two in the process or it could be a couple Wesley Johnsons.

That's the risk you take with drafting. Imagine if the warriors traded Klay for Kevin Love or some other established player. No one would of faulted the warriors for it but then the warriors wouldn't be in the position they are in right now.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Randle and a top five pick will combine to make 6-8 million next year. Players that make that much or less and are better right now (such as Anthony Davis), aren't getting traded. Trading Randle and a pick for a veteran isn't just sacrificing the future; it's compromising free agency this summer. In order to go from the bottom of the West to a contender in one year will require major free agent additions as well as significant contributions from the young players.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Gentlemen, let's make a scenario!
We sign in FA Marc Gasol, then we offer the two players for LMA and a first round pick. We have a frontcourt of LMA and MArc. Arguably the best in NBA.
In 2016 you can have a much better chance to land Durant.
Imagine a trio of Marc-LMA-Durant plus Kobe. That's championship material.
Or instead of LMA put Westbrook. In 2016 Durant and Westbrook will have what they miss in OKC to win the title. A real weapen in the paint.

Anyway was only an exercise. I would love to try with the young guys but don't exclude such scenario.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
Gentlemen, let's make a scenario!
We sign in FA Marc Gasol, then we offer the two players for LMA and a first round pick. We have a frontcourt of LMA and MArc. Arguably the best in NBA.
In 2016 you can have a much better chance to land Durant.
Imagine a trio of Marc-LMA-Durant plus Kobe. That's championship material.
Or instead of LMA put Westbrook. In 2016 Durant and Westbrook will have what they miss in OKC to win the title. A real weapen in the paint.

Anyway was only an exercise. I would love to try with the young guys but don't exclude such scenario.

That is a 3 year win window. You have to acclimate to Scott. Maybe he gets fired new coach. By the time they are acclimated they are now 32-33 y.o. No thanks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

81 wrote:
Randle and a top five pick will combine to make 6-8 million next year. Players that make that much or less and are better right now (such as Anthony Davis), aren't getting traded. Trading Randle and a pick for a veteran isn't just sacrificing the future; it's compromising free agency this summer. In order to go from the bottom of the West to a contender in one year will require major free agent additions as well as significant contributions from the young players.

It's literally "solving" one problem by creating another.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
we're gonna dump all our assets to NY to get Carmelo Anthony, sign Rajon Rondo as a free agent and then... Kobe will continue to decline and will only be able to play 1 out of 3-4 games, Carmelo's knee will melt off the bone and he will be on the disabled list most of the time and Rondo will be issuing trade demands. Meanwhile, the Knicks will hoist the championship trophy in 3 years with all the assets WE gave them... good times, good times...

oh man what a horrible scenario that would be. the scary thing is it's not that too fetch. if Jeanie is in charge today, that scenario is just one zen meditation away from become fruition. looking at short term has did this team in. i will trade the pick plus Randall only for 3 players (not even LeBron because of his age): Anthony Davis, Damien Lilliard, Durant.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

oh man what a horrible scenario that would be. the scary thing is it's not that too fetch. if Jeanie is in charge today, that scenario is just one zen meditation away from become fruition. looking at short term has did this team in. i will trade the pick plus Randall only for 3 players (not even LeBron because of his age): Anthony Davis, Damien Lilliard, Durant.

problem with Durant is you have just eviscerated your depth to get him. And he's a free agent in 2016 and now you have no young players.

Not sure Lillard is worth both young assets.

Davis yes.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Clearly AD only guy worth this trade. But I gotta ask, what about cousins? Not that I would, just want to see if others would.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Clearly AD only guy worth this trade. But I gotta ask, what about cousins? Not that I would, just want to see if others would.

No way.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

In the NBA now to woo a big time star you have to have good players on your roster. Lakers may be going all in now getting and All-Star level player in order to attract a superstar in 2016...Lakers wouldn't be crazy to deal the pick or Randle to make this happen. No gaurentees that Randle or a top 5 pick pan out, let's see what happens.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

No way.

Yeah his attitude is his Achilles heel. He and Byron would come to blows
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Man, when a season gets boring, people like Ding just throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Which team would even trade their mega stars (only players worth 2 top draft picks) for our two top picks? Would okc trade westbrook or durant? If they miss the playoffs this year? Doubt it. They're more likely to fire their coach (what they should do) than make such a trade.

Would pelicans trade AD? Umm no

Last edited by Lakers_Jester on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

I'd flip Randle and Jordan Hill if that's enough cap to get Cousins, maybe throw in the Snake if I needed more filler but that's about it, I wouldn't give up both picks. Cousins is a total headcase but he's also elite. If you thought you could have enough people around him like Kareem and Worthy, big men who have been elite themselves, then possibly, since Cousins is getting older he would finally mature enough that you could depend on him. Besides AD, what other elite Centers are really out there for the next 5 years? Maybe you get lucky in this year's draft but that's a 3+ year project usually. Marc Gasol is too old to bring in now, lotto mileage on him already and Roy Hibbert just flat out sucks most of the time. DeAndre Jordan would be INSANE to leave the Clippers unless Doc has some nefarious plan to get rid of him? Does Doc have a son that plays Center?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

No way.

Yeah his attitude is his Achilles heel. He and Byron would come to blows

I wouldn't do it. But I'd like to say that his attitude this season has been much improved imo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: