2015 Dodgers thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 271, 272, 273  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

All this Yoan Moncada talk has me excited though!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/dodgers-expected-to-pursue-yoan-moncada.html

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2015-01-15/yoan-moncada-rumors-dodgers-red-sox-yankees-cuban-hitter-slugger-international-free-agent-bonus

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/phillies/OnDeck-Cuban-prospect-Yoan-Moncada-remains-jewel-of-international-signing-pool.html

Last offseason I was bummed we missed out on Masahiro Tanaka, but after his injuries I don't feel so bad. Bring me YOAN!
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

lalakeshow88 wrote:
All this Yoan Moncada talk has me excited though!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/dodgers-expected-to-pursue-yoan-moncada.html

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2015-01-15/yoan-moncada-rumors-dodgers-red-sox-yankees-cuban-hitter-slugger-international-free-agent-bonus

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/phillies/OnDeck-Cuban-prospect-Yoan-Moncada-remains-jewel-of-international-signing-pool.html

Last offseason I was bummed we missed out on Masahiro Tanaka, but after his injuries I don't feel so bad. Bring me YOAN!

That kid is going to cost a fortune and would prevent us from spending any international money of note for the next two years. Is he worth it?
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

I think Moncada is worth the risk. "A potential franchise player..."

http://vimeo.com/115258854

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/559791807479816192
Quote:
Sources: Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada worked out for the Dodgers this morning. They remain a significant threat because of deep pockets.

Do it Friedman.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Moncada and Seager would be an amazing left side of the infield. We wouldn't have to worry about those spots for a decade.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

A few more updates. Can you guys tell that I'm excited? haha.

Quote:
As for another largely-uncertain bit of information, McDaniel adds that the latest chatter has Moncada going for about a $80MM total investment (based on a $40MM bonus).

Quote:
Moncada worked out for the Dodgers this morning, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports on Twitter. Los Angeles has given public indication of its interest, and if impressed with its private look will certainly have to be counted among the most capable suitors. President of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and manager Don Mattingly were both on hand, Sanchez reports on Twitter.
The other teams to have held private workouts are the Brewers, Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, and Padres, Sanchez tweets.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/latest-on-yoan-moncada-4.html

Quote:
MLB, Not OFAC, Is Why Yoan Moncada Can’t Sign

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-ofac-yoan-moncada-cant-sign/
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 14m14 minutes ago
Breaking: Yoan Moncada free agency imminent after gov't source tells Y! Sports he no longer needs unblocking license: http://yhoo.it/1z8d4oc

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

The last Cuban we got was pretty meh...Still early, but I'm not getting too excited over this guy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Moncada and Seager would be an amazing left side of the infield. We wouldn't have to worry about those spots for a decade.

I'm sold.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I'm sold.

If both pan out of course. I was listening to an interview with I believe someone from Baseball America (I think it was Ben Badler) who was asked where Moncada would rank when compared to the Dodgers' 3 prized prospects. He said slightly below Seagar but above Joc and Urias. Both guys would be in the top 10, top 15 (at the worst) prospects in baseball.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I'm sold.

If both pan out of course. I was listening to an interview with I believe someone from Baseball America (I think it was Ben Badler) who was asked where Moncada would rank when compared to the Dodgers' 3 prized prospects. He said slightly below Seagar but above Joc and Urias. Both guys would be in the top 10, top 15 (at the worst) prospects in baseball.

The only thing that scares me about signing Moncada is he's going to take like a $50 million dollar bonus, at least. We're bidding against the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Cubs (if he waits until July). We pay dollar for dollar as we're in the tax, so $100 to start. After 3 years he's eligible for arbitration. Say he makes like 12,16,20. Is he worth a possible $150 million as a 19 year old prospect for 6 years? How absolutely "can't miss" is this guy? Even Mike Trout wasn't expected to be as good as he is when he was drafted.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I'm sold.

The only thing that scares me about signing Moncada is he's going to take like a $50 million dollar bonus, at least. We're bidding against the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Cubs (if he waits until July). We pay dollar for dollar as we're in the tax, so $100 to start. After 3 years he's eligible for arbitration. Say he makes like 12,16,20. Is he worth a possible $150 million as a 19 year old prospect for 6 years? How absolutely "can't miss" is this guy? Even Mike Trout wasn't expected to be as good as he is when he was drafted.

I'm going to trust the new front office. If they sign him, they clearly feel he was worth the investment. They've shown some restraint even with the deeper pockets. They're not just throwing money and many years at free agents like Ned did.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
The last Cuban we got was pretty meh...Still early, but I'm not getting too excited over this guy.

Guerrero? Still have to wait and see on him.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

At the risk of saying something to blasphemous is Clayton Keyshawn the biggest choker this side of Lebron?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
At the risk of saying something to blasphemous is Clayton Keyshawn the biggest choker this side of Lebron?

I'd say he's more similar to Peyton. They're great and have all the tools, preparation and intelligence to get it done. And they both do in the regular season...but for some reason, it changes in the postseason. He still has his whole prime to get over the hump though.

Lebron is just mentally weak.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I'd say he's more similar to Peyton. They're great and have all the tools, preparation and intelligence to get it done. And they both do in the regular season...but for some reason, it changes in the postseason. He still has his whole prime to get over the hump though.

I could agree with the Peyton comparison. I think part of what makes it a good comparison is Kershaw's chasing of regular season feats. Always going for complete game shut outs instead of letting the relievers come in and finish it off. I don't care what anybody says, always pushing the limits with 100+ pitch games, 120+ pitch games takes a tole over the season. They need to save that shoulder so they can lean on it when it counts.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I could agree with the Peyton comparison. I think part of what makes it a good comparison is Kershaw's chasing of regular season feats. Always going for complete game shut outs instead of letting the relievers come in and finish it off. I don't care what anybody says, always pushing the limits with 100+ pitch games, 120+ pitch games takes a tole over the season. They need to save that shoulder so they can lean on it when it counts.

Yeah, he has that old school workhorse approach which is good but I agree, no need to throw more regular season pitches than necessary provided the bullpen can actually close it out. That's the only concern, our bullpen has been pretty damn unreliable.

I know working with Sandy has probably rubbed off on him but he needs to realize that Sandy's workload cut his career short by maybe a decade.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Yeah, he has that old school workhorse approach which is good but I agree, no need to throw more regular season pitches than necessary provided the bullpen can actually close it out. That's the only concern, our bullpen has been pretty damn unreliable.

I know working with Sandy has probably rubbed off on him but he needs to realize that Sandy's workload cut his career short by maybe a decade.

He was already starting to show some creaks in missing time due to injury. I hope he can come back stronger because we'll need him more than ever to keep the score low.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I blame that on the Australia trip. Those long flights messed with his body.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Some other teams view the Dodgers as the strong favorite in the Yoan Moncada sweepstakes.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Quote:
Some other teams view the Dodgers as the strong favorite in the Yoan Moncada sweepstakes.

Maybe the chance to become a big brother vet can help Puig mature too.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Quote:

He's 19
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Quote:

He's 19

Ok? I meant for Puig to become a mentor...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Quote:

He's 19

Ok? I meant for Puig to become a mentor...

oh, sorry. Misread that.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

just saw the news Shields signed with Padres, 4 year deal. so let me get this straight, we're on the edge of breaking through to W.S. and all we done this off season so far by our highly regarded new front office are:

1. losing two big bats still in their prime for a marginally better catcher offensively than AJ

2. not able to sign any front rotation starting pitcher(s)

3. made a bunch of lateral moves in bullpen and back end rotation starting pitcher

am i missing something here? we were this close to taste the W.S. and yet, they not only sit on their hands but weakening the team from last year.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

1. Kemp is out of his prime and a horrible defender. Ramirez is the same.

2. We already have the best 1-2 in baseball.

3. Both the bullpen and back end of the rotation have improved. Especially the back end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Page 18 of 273
Jump to: