The profoundness of Dr Martin Luther King

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: The profoundness of Dr Martin Luther King

LINK

Is America a Sheep or a Goat?

I'm captured by Dr Kings simple but pounding use of the Kings English. The description of his thoughts are poetic yet easily understood by any who can read.

This was inspired by a pilots discourse.

Quote:
In any social revolution there are times when the tail winds of triumph and fulfillment favor us, and other times when strong head winds of disappointment and setbacks beat against us relentlessly. We must not permit adverse winds to overwhelm us as we journey across life’s mighty Atlantic; we must be sustained by our engines of courage in spite of the winds. This refusal to be stopped, this ‘courage to be,’ this determination to go on ‘in spite of’ is the hallmark of any great movement.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Greatest American orator since Abraham Lincoln.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Greatest American orator since Abraham Lincoln.

Dr Kings voice inflections added so much to his speeches. It was like he was singing. True spoken word.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

The good thing about having gamily from Alabama is I never have to go to the library or get online to gather information. My grandparents were in that Selma march. And they were around Dr. King when bricks were being thrown. My parents were in their twenties when all that went down and saw how Dr. King uplifted many people in the South. But like many families in the South, they were apart of that black flight movement to California looking for better opportunities.

Just a blessing to have him here for almost 40 years. Wish it were longer. His sermons and speeches were just legendary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

The one thing that has always bothered me about Dr. King's memory ever since I was old enough to read and listen to his message and understand it, is that he is portrayed as being a proponent of black progress. He was a proponent of human progress, no matter the race.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The one thing that has always bothered me about Dr. King's memory ever since I was old enough to read and listen to his message and understand it, is that he is portrayed as being a proponent of black progress. He was a proponent of human progress, no matter the race.

pretty much .....
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive and to somehow equate the two in his mind is mind boggling. Sure he was a proponent of human progress, but he was a champion and a warrior for the rights of blacks. There was no equivalency there insofar as to his primary concern.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The profoundness of Dr King

jodeke wrote:
LINK

Is America a Sheep or a Goat?

I'm captured by Dr Kings simple but pounding use of the Kings English. The description of his thoughts are poetic yet easily understood by any who can read.

This was inspired by a pilots discourse.

Quote:
In any social revolution there are times when the tail winds of triumph and fulfillment favor us, and other times when strong head winds of disappointment and setbacks beat against us relentlessly. We must not permit adverse winds to overwhelm us as we journey across life’s mighty Atlantic; we must be sustained by our engines of courage in spite of the winds. This refusal to be stopped, this ‘courage to be,’ this determination to go on ‘in spite of’ is the hallmark of any great movement.

Dr. King was an extremely talented orator, one of the greatest the Western World has known. He was born with a natural ability, but it was honed in Theology School where he and his cohort group used this ability as a measuring stick and social standing. He was a rising star early on because of this. His appointment to Dexter Avenue Baptist Church was largely based on this skill.

My favorite work of his is "Letter from a Birmingham Jail."
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

My uncle would not stop talking about the day he met Dr. King. And we would never stop listening.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive and to somehow equate the two in his mind is mind boggling. Sure he was a proponent of human progress, but he was a champion and a warrior for the rights of blacks. There was no equivalency there insofar as to his primary concern.

His primary concern was injustice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And at the time the greatest injustice was agaisnt blacks.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Thirty freaking nine. That's it. We wuz robbed. He was just exploring his broader view or rather just beginning to express it. It interests me that Malcolm was seeing world struggles too. Both had more to offer, and their sheer leadership talents would have brought us along further in their respective ways. I always wondered where we might be had MLK lived into his 50s, 60s. Died long before I lived but feel a loss anyway. What a legacy in 39 years.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You guys are completely missing the mark. He went to Dexter Avenue as a stepping stone to what he felt would be a long career as a pastor in the black Church. The MIA was completely thrust upon him and then the movement for black suffer age and rights drafted him as it's champion. Oh sure, later,he began to see the interconnectedness of the two issues and maybe he would have evolved into the person you're. But from 1955 until his death, the overwhelming amount of time and energy was spent as an advocate for black rights.

And at the time the greatest injustice was agaisnt blacks.

Mushy_Josh90
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:

His voice, his spoken as well as written language are quite fascinating. However, not everyone can interpret all the meanings of his speeches (I'm included).
I appreciate and admire all his work and speeches.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Love-Martin-Luther-King/dp/0800697405

:(

So sad there are not leaders to compare to him right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Years later, in his Letter from Birmingham Jail, King would write something very similar: "We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/19/7852311/martin-luther-king-faith

That last sentence is true Love
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: