General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What about the Cotto, Mayweather fight? Is it on or off?

all we can do is wait Jo. That May 2nd date was large in the boxing game. It's the day Floyd usually fights (cinco de mayo weekend), it's the day Oscar wanna get back for Canelo - that's why a proposed Canelo vs Kirkland fight may have been made for May 2nd with it not being on PPV. Regular HBO.

I think Floyd saw Cotto vs Canelo on May 2nd and knew that would do huge numbers. So he challenged Manny when he had his own card. Once Canelo and Cotto fell apart, now is where you get the train wreck. Is Floyd fighting Cotto again? If he is, I'm not paying for that (bleep). Is Floyd fighting Manny? We hear Arum saying they've agreed and Espinoza saying otherwise.

The great thing is that they've got to announce something and soon because the promotion needs to start along with the 8 weeks of training camp. So we should know probably in February. February starts the promotion. March and April are the training months.

Until then, enjoy all the upcoming cards. Even though it sucks, boxing is exciting and have people talking.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
What about the Cotto, Mayweather fight? Is it on or off?

all we can do is wait Jo. That May 2nd date was large in the boxing game. It's the day Floyd usually fights (cinco de mayo weekend), it's the day Oscar wanna get back for Canelo - that's why a proposed Canelo vs Kirkland fight may have been made for May 2nd with it not being on PPV. Regular HBO.

I think Floyd saw Cotto vs Canelo on May 2nd and knew that would do huge numbers. So he challenged Manny when he had his own card. Once Canelo and Cotto fell apart, now is where you get the train wreck. Is Floyd fighting Cotto again? If he is, I'm not paying for that (bleep). Is Floyd fighting Manny? We hear Arum saying they've agreed and Espinoza saying otherwise.

The great thing is that they've got to announce something and soon because the promotion needs to start along with the 8 weeks of training camp. So we should know probably in February. February starts the promotion. March and April are the training months.

Until then, enjoy all the upcoming cards. Even though it sucks, boxing is exciting and have people talking.

I don't see how they can make the numbers work for mayweather cotto. Mayweather got 32 million for the first fight and Cotto got 8 million. After the ppv Floyd's bump was up to forty and cotto 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1173821-mayweather-vs-cotto-purse-breakdown-of-payouts-for-both-fighters

Those numbers were with 1.5 million pay per views sold. If I had to bet over under on the next fight I'd bet under. Cotto was going to make at least 10 million fighting Alveraz and Floyd is guaranteed 32 million. With the backlash from a lot of people saying they won't buy the fight and Canelo Kirkland on the same night on HBO it seems pretty risky for showtime
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

That vibe is definitely in the air, finally supporters of both sides no longer care and are going to show it if Pac or Floyd fight anyone other than themselves. Wishful thinking but i hope they both bomb if they don't fight.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

That possible Canelo Kirkland fight is a great move for Oscar. If anything, it will take away some of the ppv from Floyd. The only way I see it not suffering is if he's fighting Manny.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
That possible Canelo Kirkland fight is a great move for Oscar. If anything, it will take away some of the ppv from Floyd. The only way I see it not suffering is if he's fighting Manny.
If Floyd Fights Cotto again, people imo will watch Canelo for free on HBO over a 60-70 dollar PPV fight. I know there is no way in hell that im paying to see Floyd and Cotto again. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I hope it flops big time. I Rather see a fight where both fighters are going to throw punches and make it exciting rather then one guy trying to fight and the other dancing around throwing 2 punches every now and again for points.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject:

Rios - Alvarado 3, anyone watch that? Mike Alvarado needs to retire, he basically showed up just to cash a paycheck. I doubt he even trained for the fight, he was a sitting punching bag. Rios on the other hand looked great, how much of that is due to Alvarado being completely shot, who knows. I'd like to see Rios - Ortiz /Provo/JMM next.

In other news, Al Haymon has already inked deals with NBC, SpikeTV, and BET to televise free boxing events on those channels. We'll see how everything shakes out but so far so good. Although he'll most likely keep all his fighters in house and fight amongst his own stable. He's trying his hardest to monopolize boxing, gotta give him credit that is a big move but I doubt it works out the way he anticipates.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised that Manny fight Khan and have the fight a week before May 2nd. That fight would do pretty good PPV numbers and at the same time hurt whoever rights on May 2nd because I don't see many people dropping 60-70 bones on back to back weekends.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

So, my cousin and I were scrambling to get my projector screen mounted and up before the Rios vs. Alvarado fight came on. Made it just in time to watch the main event for UFC and Rios Alvarado 3 card!

Watching on a 100 inch projector...amazing! That said, just wish the 3rd fight was more competitive, like the first 2. Alvarado needs to get away from Denver hometown training, if he's serious about continuing his career. Either that, or get a new trainer. I don't know what the heck the strategy was coming in, but Brandon just demolished him.

Now, credit to Bam Bam. Did you all see that guy finally moving his head? Side stepping to create angles? Throwing multiple combinations starting on the outside and then his always masterful inside fighting?

I don't know if it was a product of Alvarado just being mentally beaten down after the Provodnikov and Marquez losses, but Bam Bam definitely looked the best that I've seen him in his entire career!

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

Acosta vs Perez fight. Check that out. Bit was part of a GBP Philly card ran by Hopkins. Pretty good fights.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject:

Perez - Acosta round 10 was crazy. Probably early round of the year.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject:

Fox sports fights from San Antone is nice so far. A great phone booth fight and a classic KO
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject:

Your boy works that graveyard shift and on his night off, he finds himself up at 4:10 am, watching Rocky Juarez getting hands put on him by Rob Castanellos. This Fox Sports 1 has back to back nice cards, from Philly and San Antone.

Also if Matthysse and ProVo is going down at Stubhub, I will be there. Seems like the old lady may ditch a wedding to roll. Pretty gangster.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/1/27/7926079/floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao-are-at-the-same-heat-game
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

It's about time he got a psych evaluation!

http://www.boxingscene.com/jermain-taylor-undergo-pretrial-psych-evaluation--86773

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/1/27/7926079/floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao-are-at-the-same-heat-game

The longest promotional tour ever. They can price it at 200 dollars and people would buy.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject:

When does Pacquiao's contract expire? 2016?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Perez - Acosta round 10 was crazy. Probably early round of the year.

Oh yeah, that was some good stuff!

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
When does Pacquiao's contract expire? 2016?

Dec. 31, 2016, according ot Dan Rafael

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10959154/manny-pacquiao-signs-two-year-extension-top-rank

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Your boy works that graveyard shift and on his night off, he finds himself up at 4:10 am, watching Rocky Juarez getting hands put on him by Rob Castanellos. This Fox Sports 1 has back to back nice cards, from Philly and San Antone.

Also if Matthysse and ProVo is going down at Stubhub, I will be there. Seems like the old lady may ditch a wedding to roll. Pretty gangster.

Until Pacquiao's next fight is made, I was reading that Provodnikov is still a backup option. I just hope it doesn't hold up the Matthyse fight from happening.

I've also read that this fight is almost done and it's being considered for LA or New Jersey. And I agree, if it's at StubHub, I will be calling my contact to swoop up multiple tickets again.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

so matthysse vs provo is a sure go at stub hub?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

The BSPN First Take version

It's kinda crazy to see Mayweather/Pacquiao face to face like that. I think they'd already agreed and all this he said/she said is just promotion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It's kinda crazy to see Mayweather/Pacquiao face to face like that. I think they'd already agreed and all this he said/she said is just promotion

Looks like they took it a step further after the game. Things are getting warmer.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12242720/floyd-mayweather-jr-manny-pacquiao-meet-privately-continue-discussing-terms-fight
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Looks like they took it a step further after the game. Things are getting warmer.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12242720/floyd-mayweather-jr-manny-pacquiao-meet-privately-continue-discussing-terms-fight

Thanks for sharing JB. Looks like this will eventually go down. I wonder what the ppv price will be?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Just read about that too and also Koncz' interview with Ben Thompson

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article19204.html

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

SAS is in Floyd's corner all the way but he's to the point he has to really pad to excuse the fight not happening. He refuses to say Floyd won't fight Manny because he's afraid to lose.

I don't think Floyd's afraid of Manny. I do think there's a element of fear of losing his 0. That 0 is Floyd's appeal, his leverage. If he loses it he believes he'll lose his position of power to dictate.

Floyd's running out of excuses.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 345 of 514
Jump to: