OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:
so what are your expectations for lin's stat for 25 minutes to be considered good?

Dunno, but Lin got a triple-double in 29 minutes last season...

uh..so how are we even evaluating lin? give me a good enough stat for 25 minutes that worth $8 mil a year.

lol i know eh. hes maybe worth 2mil a year right now...at least hes making money.

2mil is an exaggeration. he is worth 5-7 mil depends on what team he will go to.

Every team GM now knows that Lin is a good 6th man on a contending team... he is also a good starting pg on a bottom tier team... and he is still only 26 years old...

this free agency will now be a turning point in Lin's career, he now has the experience of being in different situations in the NBA, he can now choose a path that will define the rest of his career...
jormungand
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

If Lin had been allowed to be an attack-first, pass-second starting pg this entire season, would Kobe still have gotten hurt?
revoldas
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject:

Can someone help me with this: after trade deadline Feb 19th, we can no longer trade JLin and he can just walk after the season right? So in that case all we get from him this season would literally just be the pick from Houston.

I know there is only one month left but can we at least tried to get something more by moving him? No many how low round pick would do.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject:

Little Keith talks to Lakers Jeremy Lin

"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:
so what are your expectations for lin's stat for 25 minutes to be considered good?

uh..so how are we even evaluating lin? give me a good enough stat for 25 minutes that worth $8 mil a year.

lol i know eh. hes maybe worth 2mil a year right now...at least hes making money.

2mil is an exaggeration. he is worth 5-7 mil depends on what team he will go to.

Every team GM now knows that Lin is a good 6th man on a contending team... he is also a good starting pg on a bottom tier team... and he is still only 26 years old...

this free agency will now be a turning point in Lin's career, he now has the experience of being in different situations in the NBA, he can now choose a path that will define the rest of his career...

still no one answered my question, what is lin supposed to do in 25 minutes to reflect his contract of 8 mil a year?
Travers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:

still no one answered my question, what is lin supposed to do in 25 minutes to reflect his contract of 8 mil a year?

Lin's business value alone worth 20m a year at least.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject:

Travers wrote:
maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:

Really? What is Lin's endorsement income?
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:

14/5 would be reasonable for 25mpg to get $8M/year. As comparison, Jeff Teague makes $8M/year getting 17/7 in 31mpg...
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:

Lin doesn't get a ton of endorsement income (according to reports, he didn't pursue a ton of endorsements after Linsanity because he wanted to focus on basketball), but I think the point being made is that he brings income to the team because of his popularity...jersey sales, Chinese/Taiwanese advertisers, etc.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

philnyc wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:

Lin doesn't get a ton of endorsement income (according to reports, he didn't pursue a ton of endorsements after Linsanity because he wanted to focus on basketball), but I think the point being made is that he brings income to the team because of his popularity...jersey sales, Chinese/Taiwanese advertisers, etc.

Jersey sales? Then it doesn't matter what team he plays for as all the teams share that revenue. I doubt that his incremental revenue is really all that high. It might have been back a couple of years ago, but now? I doubt it. There is no way his "business value" is worth $20 million to a team.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Jersey sales? Then it doesn't matter what team he plays for as all the teams share that revenue. I doubt that his incremental revenue is really all that high. It might have been back a couple of years ago, but now? I doubt it. There is no way his "business value" is worth $20 million to a team.

I'm sure his summer Asian trip generates some income. Don't forget he has Volvo and adidas lined up. There are probably others that we do not know of. Maxis Tires followed him from Houston to LA. East-West Bank was another. The kid doesn't need the dough else he could be swimming in it. The Asian dollar will find him if he wants it.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:
maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:

He's been very picky about endorsements. He started before that he had the opportunity for over $100 mil in endorsements, but chose not to.

Really, his business value to a team only needs to be a few million more than digestive else to make an investment with it.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
Little Keith talks to Lakers Jeremy Lin
That was great.

That kid probably gives a better interview than many journalists.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:
maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:

He's been very picky about endorsements. He started before that he had the opportunity for over $100 mil in endorsements, but chose not to.

Really, his business value to a team only needs to be a few million more than digestive else to make an investment with it.

He might have had some potential endorsement deals a couple of years ago, but now? He's a backup point guard on a very bad team, and that will be reflected in both his current endorsement deal flow (or lack thereof) and in his next signing as a free agent. He'll get paid like a decent backup and spot starter, but some of the numbers being thrown around in this thread are crazy.

And you're telling me he has the potential for $100 million in endorsement deal income? FYI Lebron James generates $42 million per year. I'd like to see a link to that.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
villavs wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Mikster wrote:
Atm Lin's putting up 10.6ppg 4.5assist FG 44% 3Point 37% 8 FGA 23min PerGame...That's pretty much what a 5-7million player getting paid...I'm pretty sure he'll be getting a few offers during the off season. People calling him a scrub and all are just frustrated he's not putting up Linsanity the truth is with this roaster ain't nobody gonna do well look at Kobe's career low numbers this year. Lakers will probably make him a 5-7mil offer to play back up I hope he takes it if BS isn't the HS but if he is then I hope Lin goes elsewhere cause it hurts to watch this slow ass boring BS system that's so predictable.

I think Lin will make the upper range of that or more.

His numbers are coming from a system that does not suit him and limited minutes. If a team intends to play him 30 min a game, then they know those numbers will go up significantly. Maybe $8 mil a year.

The Houston (poison pill) contract was $25 mil for 3 years and that was right after Linsanity. I think Lin has been so marginalized, I doubt he'll get that kind of money.

The market has changed. He's also a more well-rounded player than befoe. And there's no more worrying about the possibility of the poison pill.

8 mil/yr is about market value for a player like Lin.

No chance he gets 8 mil. The market is even more crowded now with quality point guards. A mediocre back up PG or a bottom tier starting PG isn't sniffing 8 mil.

BUT the overall market for the NBA has increased and the quality at those other positions(ex. the center spot) have decreased.
Travers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
villavs wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Mikster wrote:
Atm Lin's putting up 10.6ppg 4.5assist FG 44% 3Point 37% 8 FGA 23min PerGame...That's pretty much what a 5-7million player getting paid...I'm pretty sure he'll be getting a few offers during the off season. People calling him a scrub and all are just frustrated he's not putting up Linsanity the truth is with this roaster ain't nobody gonna do well look at Kobe's career low numbers this year. Lakers will probably make him a 5-7mil offer to play back up I hope he takes it if BS isn't the HS but if he is then I hope Lin goes elsewhere cause it hurts to watch this slow ass boring BS system that's so predictable.

I think Lin will make the upper range of that or more.

His numbers are coming from a system that does not suit him and limited minutes. If a team intends to play him 30 min a game, then they know those numbers will go up significantly. Maybe $8 mil a year.

The Houston (poison pill) contract was $25 mil for 3 years and that was right after Linsanity. I think Lin has been so marginalized, I doubt he'll get that kind of money.

The market has changed. He's also a more well-rounded player than befoe. And there's no more worrying about the possibility of the poison pill.

8 mil/yr is about market value for a player like Lin.

No chance he gets 8 mil. The market is even more crowded now with quality point guards. A mediocre back up PG or a bottom tier starting PG isn't sniffing 8 mil.

BUT the overall market for the NBA has increased and the quality at those other positions(ex. the center spot) have decreased.

Pau Gasol looks mediocre in MDA's system too, which is just a mismatch.
Lin is the same case and he will shine again in the right system with chance to be a real PG.
nikeykid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

i bought a lin lakers jersey, and i'm a warriors fan. so that's at least 1 more sale that would not have happened without lin.

angrypuppy wrote:

nikeykid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

i also had to buy league pass so my marginal benefit to the league is at least $199 + $79 = $278. and there's more of me out there.
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
philnyc wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:

My understanding of the revenue share plan in the NBA is that each team puts 50% of their total revenue into a bucket, and then get an allocation back based on their player payroll. So if the Lakers make a ton from Lin jerseys, they still benefit more from that than other teams since only 50% of that revenue goes to the revenue share pool. I could be interpreting the plan wrong, but that's how I read it...
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

Phillycheese wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I'm sure his summer Asian trip generates some income. Don't forget he has Volvo and adidas lined up. There are probably others that we do not know of. Maxis Tires followed him from Houston to LA. East-West Bank was another. The kid doesn't need the dough else he could be swimming in it. The Asian dollar will find him if he wants it.

I didn't think this was about how much Lin makes...but rather it's about the impact of Lin's salary on a team's willingness to trade for his contract. IMHO, his contract is easy to swallow for a team from a dollar perspective because they will make up that money easily via the increased revenue they will see from getting him on the team. The question is more about what they are willing to give up that will match the value of his contract.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Gosh, I hope they trade Lin soon. I can't bear to watch him on this team. Bad system, and bad coach. Just like last year when Pau had to play in D'Antoni's system. I hope they trade him to a contender so I can cheer for him in the play offs.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
Gosh, I hope they trade Lin soon. I can't bear to watch him on this team. Bad system, and bad coach. Just like last year when Pau had to play in D'Antoni's system. I hope they trade him to a contender so I can cheer for him in the play offs.

The positive part is that if Lin is willing, he can grow into a more complete player here.

It's obvious this offense doesn't focus on his strengths. So this should be taken as an opportunity to work on his weaknesses and turn them into strengths.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:

The positive part is that if Lin is willing, he can grow into a more complete player here.

It's obvious this offense doesn't focus on his strengths. So this should be taken as an opportunity to work on his weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

It doesn't help that the teams tanking and Byron's substitution patterns are a little lacking. He can't even get 30 minutes on this team, which is saying a lot about Byron's ability to coach.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:

It doesn't help that the teams tanking and Byron's substitution patterns are a little lacking. He can't even get 30 minutes on this team, which is saying a lot about Byron's ability to coach.

Byron obviously doesn't know how to coach the squad we currently have.

He had a vision, and we're not fitting into it. He probably doesn't want to change his vision because he knows most of the players are on one year deals anyway. He expects the front office to bring in players that fit what he wants to do.

I don't think Scott is really anti-PG... but think about what he's used to. He's use to FRANCHISE PLAYER level PGs. CP3, Kidd, Irving. Played with Magic Johnson.

While I bag on Scott a lot, I think he may just be trying to turn Lin into one of those kind of guys.

Can it happen? It would be tough.

Lin would have to completely buy in and believe that the "tough love" is for his betterment. That the reason Scott doesn't let him do what he's good at is for the sole purpose of making him uncomfortable and grow.

It would be frustrating and difficult for a guy like Lin. But if he believes that he is capable of growing, he just might decide to stay and challenge himself instead of taking an easier path.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:

Byron obviously doesn't know how to coach the squad we currently have.

He had a vision, and we're not fitting into it. He probably doesn't want to change his vision because he knows most of the players are on one year deals anyway. He expects the front office to bring in players that fit what he wants to do.

I don't think Scott is really anti-PG... but think about what he's used to. He's use to FRANCHISE PLAYER level PGs. CP3, Kidd, Irving. Played with Magic Johnson.

While I bag on Scott a lot, I think he may just be trying to turn Lin into one of those kind of guys.

Can it happen? It would be tough.

Lin would have to completely buy in and believe that the "tough love" is for his betterment. That the reason Scott doesn't let him do what he's good at is for the sole purpose of making him uncomfortable and grow.

It would be frustrating and difficult for a guy like Lin. But if he believes that he is capable of growing, he just might decide to stay and challenge himself instead of taking an easier path.

I think that's a load of baloney. My opinion is...Byron's a (bleep)
He has no idea how to run a team, and he let's his ego get in the way. He's like one of those old guys who thinks stuff that worked in the past is going to work now. He can't let go of the past when guys clothes lined each other. Same with McHale, he played in the 80's era. Guys like Scott and McHale don't make good coaches cause they were stars on their team. The best coaches are normally guys who were role players who preach team play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 330, 331, 332 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 331 of 503
Jump to: