Steve Nash mentoring rookie Jordan Clarkson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Steve Nash mentoring rookie Jordan Clarkson

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak says Nash agreed to and is probably already working with young players;
"Nash isn't going to go out "and advertise that he's doing it."

Serena Winters @SerenaWinters ·
When I asked Kupchak about Steve Nash, he said he has actually been around & meets w/ Kupchak for breakfast once a month.

Mitch Kupchak also said that he thinks "As the season progresses he'll (Steve Nash) be more engaged."

Mitch Kupchak said Steve Nash has already agreed & said he's "more than willing" to help younger players. (Said he may have already started)

More re: Steve Nash, Kupchak said Nash isn't going to go out "and advertise that he's doing it."

Nash has also been staying in contact with rookie Jordan Clarkson during his absence and giving him advice

In addition to meeting the team at the plane before they headed to Chicago for Christmas, he has periodically mentored Clarkson via text message.

“He was just saying I got the tools to be good in this league,” Clarkson said, “and continue to work hard. Stuff like that. Just little stuff like the pace of the game, playing at different speeds.”
http://www.ocregister.com/lakers/nash-648598-clarkson-jordan.html

Lakers are pretty good about keeping stuff like this under wraps it seems. That's the way it should be. Then again I remember the days when the media didn't know squat till it happened. But with the invention of twitter and all this other inside stuff, organizational privacy seems like a thing of the past.

Even so, it's a nice breath of fresh air to hear these kind of things go on and the media doesn't know anything till Mitch tells them. That's the way it should be.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I think all this mentoring talk is over rated. I mean you either have great court vision or you don't, it's probably not something you can teach. I think the only thing veterans can teach a lot of these youngsters is work ethics, how much work you need to put in in order to succeed in the league.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
I think all this mentoring talk is over rated. I mean you either have great court vision or you don't, it's probably not something you can teach. I think the only thing veterans can teach a lot of these youngsters is work ethics, how much work you need to put in in order to succeed in the league.

Steve can teach him everything a coach can teach him. Things like passing angles, how to run the pnr, how to keep the defense off balance, etc.

There's a lot he can learn from him. Idk how much he can absorb by text though lol. Would love to see Steve at the facility
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd imagine it went like this....

Nash: Hey Jordan want some advice?

Jordan: Sure!

Nash: Dribble a lot and aim at the basket when you shoot.

Jordan: Uh, ok, anything else?

Nash: Yeah, Lakers will pay you to sit on your ass so milk it for all it's worth.

Jordan: So I don't even have to play?

Nash: I didn't.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

But, but...LG's insiders said Steve Cash is a scam artist.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Nash: Yeah, Lakers will pay you to sit on your ass so milk it for all it's worth.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

sending a few text messages of support while your vacationing halfway around the world is not "mentoring"
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Nash: Yeah, Jim Buss will pay you to sit on your ass so milk it for all it's worth.

Fixed.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Come on. Mitch's quotes were trying to put lipstick on a pig and save face for the org.

If Nash really wanted to mentor, he'd be at practice. At games. Giving advice on times outs when mistakes are still fresh. It's obviously his decision, but it's ridiculous to claim he's really taking it upon himself to mentor our guards.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

hah
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
KBH wrote:

Come on. Mitch's quotes were trying to put lipstick on a pig and save face for the org.

If Nash really wanted to mentor, he'd be at practice. At games. Giving advice on times outs when mistakes are still fresh. It's obviously his decision, but it's ridiculous to claim he's really taking it upon himself to mentor our guards.

Then maybe Mitch should mention that to Nash when he has breakfast with him next times, as he often does. Leave it to LG to piss on anything that might be considered positive.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:

Kinda like Gary Payton teaching Kobe Bryant how to play Pick and roll defense?

Or the part where Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd developed Steve Nash's point guard skills?

Kareem for Bynum?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tony smith wrote:
KBH wrote:

Then maybe Mitch should mention that to Nash when he has breakfast with him next times, as he often does. Leave it to LG to piss on anything that might be considered positive.

I stand corrected, VLF.

I'm sure over his breakfasts with Mitch, Nash is providing tons of mentoring for Clarkson. That as Nash chomps his granola, he is sending tons of advice to Clarkson about the intricacies of running an offense.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Jordan: What the **** does BS want from me?

Nash: Damned if I know!

Jordan: What should I do?

Nash: Just walk away man. Just walk away. That what I did before preseason was even done.

Jordan: Then what?

Nash: Come over, have a beer and watch Game of Thrones with me.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Nash is all class.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, I think some of you are confusing the roles of Mentoring versus Coaching, here's my take on the 2 matters (hopefully I don't confuse people more about it)....

Coaching - the main purpose of a coach is to help identify and address systemic weaknesses.

Mentoring - the main purpose of a mentor is to help identify and address personal weaknesses.

It is often easy to confuse Coaching vs Mentoring, especially in single sportsmen activities e.g. golf, tennis where there is only 1 player as the coach has to perform both roles and the systemic weakness is often a personal weakness.

But in a team sports like Basketball, these 2 roles are quite distinct.

There is still grounds for confusion as often coaches has to employ mentoring techniques when they deal with individuals that contribute to the systemic problems.

Perhaps it might be easier to see the importance of the 2 roles from the weakness perspective - i.e. whether it is the Coach or the Mentor that help to adress the different type of weaknesses.

- Fitness Weakness (team level) - Coach - has the team trained or rest enough? Are there individuals that need special attention (refer them to mentors/assistant coaches for 1-1 session).

- Fitness Weakness (individual) - Mentor - help the person identify his personal limits and options to break that limit or find alternatives
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Nash mentoring rookie Jordan Clarkson

MJST wrote:
Even so, it's a nice breath of fresh air to hear these kind of things go on and the media doesn't know anything till Mitch tells them. That's the way it should be.

I don't recall Mitch ever saying anything to the media that gave anyone any indication of what was going on
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Good to hear, at least we'll get something out of the Nash trade other then a draft pick.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Unstable wrote:
Hmmm, I think some of you are confusing the roles of Mentoring versus Coaching, here's my take on the 2 matters (hopefully I don't confuse people more about it)....

Coaching - the main purpose of a coach is to help identify and address systemic weaknesses.

Mentoring - the main purpose of a mentor is to help identify and address personal weaknesses.

It is often easy to confuse Coaching vs Mentoring, especially in single sportsmen activities e.g. golf, tennis where there is only 1 player as the coach has to perform both roles and the systemic weakness is often a personal weakness.

There is still grounds for confusion as often coaches has to employ mentoring techniques when they deal with individuals that contribute to the systemic problems.

Perhaps it might be easier to see the importance of the 2 roles from the weakness perspective - i.e. whether it is the Coach or the Mentor that help to adress the different type of weaknesses.

- Fitness Weakness (team level) - Coach - has the team trained or rest enough? Are there individuals that need special attention (refer them to mentors/assistant coaches for 1-1 session).

- Fitness Weakness (individual) - Mentor - help the person identify his personal limits and options to break that limit or find alternatives

To me Here is the difference of Coaching and Mentoring.

Coaching - "this is what you did wrong. you have to do this and work on this. do this exercises etc."

Mentoring - "Follow me and do exactly as I do. eat as I eat, sleep as I sleep."

Mentoring is very personal, and goes beyond basketball. So IMO Mentoring cannot happen unless the Mentor is physically present.

Coaching can happen even if the coach is not physically present.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I think Clarkson has the ability to be a really good player. He has speed, he can handle the ball, and he's a decent shooter. It all depends on how much he wants to work at his game.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson looked good tonight
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Right, because having breakfast with Kupchak once a month and giving Clarkson some unspecified advice is giving your all.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Unstable wrote:

To me Here is the difference of Coaching and Mentoring.

Coaching - "this is what you did wrong. you have to do this and work on this. do this exercises etc."

Mentoring is very personal, and goes beyond basketball. So IMO Mentoring cannot happen unless the Mentor is physically present.

Coaching can happen even if the coach is not physically present.

I don't know any mentors who take their mentorship to that degree, or who think mentoring means turning someone into a carbon copy of themselves, And mentoring can certainly be done without being physically being in each other's presence.

However, I do think mentoring is personal. Which is something people seem to be overlooking. This notion that Nash wants to mentor Clarkson just because they happen to be teammates seems silly to me. I'm not sure that Nash has any desire to mentor anyone, let anyone whether he wants to mentor Clarkson in particular.

My guess is Nash could not care less, and he just sends the occasional "Atta boy!" text just so people can officially note he sent an "Atta boy!" text.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:

This is pretty much a definition of what mentoring IS NOT.

Mentor must help a mentee to find his OWN way.

MorlockO wrote:
Mentoring is very personal, and goes beyond basketball.

True. Now you nailed it.

MorlockO wrote:
So IMO Mentoring cannot happen unless the Mentor is physically present.

Not true. Mentoring from distance is different. Harder. But possible. Happens quite often.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:

Not true. Mentoring from distance is different. Harder. But possible. Happens quite often.

Mentoring in general sense yes, but mentoring in an NBA basketball sense its impossible. you cannot teaching someone the little things like where to shove, when to stick a little elbow, which angle to do some stuff so that ref does not see etc.

Mentors also need to share eating habits, daily routines (when and how much to practice, how much is too much practicing) how much sleep you need, when to sleep during busy schedules. when to eat a lot when to eat little. these are things we dont know, we will only know if you started following someone.

There are a lot more little details that I left out because it will be too long to list. but these little things will matter to a rookie because they do not know all these things. they don't even know that these things matter. that is why a lot of rookies go into a 2nd year slump. they either practiced too much or too little. or didn't take care of thier bodies well etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: