Can we consider Kerr and Kidd to be great coaches already?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Can we consider Kerr and Kidd to be great coaches already?

Must say Im surprised with Kidd. Wasn't sure he'd become such an amazing coach, so fast. Great players don't often make best coaches. And there was reason to doubt Kidd's character but the guy knows his stuff. Can't doubt him.
He had some ups and downs with the Nets last year but he was coaching his peers, it was likely hard for him to be the coach to the likes of KG and Pierce. Now he is coaching young guys. It makes a big difference. And it is his second year.

Kerr does have a great roster but can't deny that he is doing a grear job as well.

On a related note, our two guys, DFish and Shaw are still finding their style. Im sure both will grow into quality coaches with time, I hope so anyway.

Kidd should be the number 1 candidate for our future coach.
Let's face it, he probably has higher aspirations than being in Milwaukee. We just might be able to snatch him when the time comes.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can we consider Kerr and Kidd to be great coaches already?

LakersNewEra wrote:
Must say Im surprised with Kidd. Wasn't sure he'd become such an amazing coach, so fast. Great players don't often make best coaches. And there was reason to doubt Kidd's character but the guy knows his stuff. Can't doubt him.
He had some ups and downs with the Nets last year but he was coaching his peers, it was likely hard for him to be the coach to the likes of KG and Pierce. Now he is coaching young guys. It makes a big difference. And it is his second year.

Kerr does have a great roster but can't deny that he is doing a grear job as well.

On a related note, our two guys, DFish and Shaw are still finding their style. Im sure both will grow into quality coaches with time, I hope so anyway.

Kidd should be the number 1 candidate for our future coach.
Let's face it, he probably has higher aspirations than being in Milwaukee. We just might be able to snatch him when the time comes.

Kidd got the job in part because he's friends with their owner. Wouldn't really surprise me to see him there long term.

He was in NY, and forced his way out to Milwaukee, that the above gave him job security and well, Brooklyn (and tbh the Lakers) treat coaches with a revolving door.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Is this a serious question? No. Ask us again in five years.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

They are decent coaches. We'll see if they're great if they can overcome the hump and win at the highest levels.

I don't necessarily think that it takes a championship to make someone a great coach. Sometimes there are just transcendent players on the other team that get in the way. When great coach faces great coach... someone has got to lose.

But if a coach can take a team and make them consistently get far into the playoffs amid things like roster changes and other adversity, then they have an argument for being considered great.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

What must you think of the Atlanta guy?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:

Imagine if HE had the Warriors' roster.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

It would be just like calling B Scott a great coach after his first 3 seasons coaching the Nets. Wait a few more years and time will tell...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:

That I wish the Lakers would have hired him when I started posting about him here.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

they are certainly better than the rah rah all talk no substance Derek Fisher. if you look at talent-wise Milwaukee and Knicks are similar, i would even say Knicks are more talented just because Melo, but look at their records, they both play in the weak east.
santamonica2188
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Kerr was given a complete team with two of the best shooters in the league with playoff experience. I'm not trying to take away from his success this season but surely a lot of it is in part to what Mark Jackson created. As for Kidd, from what I've seen he seems marginal. Wouldn't call him "great" but I like what I've seen him do with the Bucks.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Talented teams win.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I do not. They seem good, but the NBA has had plenty of good coaches over its existence. Time will tell if they are "great".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: