Dwight punked us pretty bad...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
We should have traded him while we could...but Jim was convinced (95% certain) that he could convince Dwight to stay...so no realistic trades were ever entertained.

So for the "salary slot" that used to belong to Bynum....we ended up nothing except cap space. The asset that used to be Bynum became thin air. This is part of how the entire team was dismantled piece by piece by Jim.

Again, thinking we could have traded him mid-season is pure fantasy. And thin air is better than Bynum right now, and will be actual players next offseason.

((COMMENT REMOVED - DISCUSS THE POST, NOT THE POSTER, PLEASE. - JMK)).
What franchise would trade a top center in the league midseason in his first year with the team when they thought he would stay? (not saying it would've been a good thing). Let's just be happy we're not stuck with a 16mil a year bowler doing rehab.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So Houston would give up assets for a guy they could just sign and keep those assets? That wouldn't be smart, I would be pissed if the Lakers did that.

Yes, because that allows the team to pay him the most and sell him for half a season, as opposed to relying on something unprecedented like a player walking away from a 5th year.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So Houston would give up assets for a guy they could just sign and keep those assets? That wouldn't be smart, I would be pissed if the Lakers did that.

Yes, because that allows the team to pay him the most and sell him for half a season, as opposed to relying on something unprecedented like a player walking away from a 5th year.
this doesn't even make sense.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It kinda does actually. I don't remember it being a sure thing that Dwight was going to Houston. Even with all of the drama here that season, the belief was that Dwight was not going to pass up a max deal with that 5th year since he was already injured.

If Houston had a chance to lock him in with a trade they probably would have. We all knew Carmelo only wanted to go to New York a few years ago but they ended up having to trade a lot for him because they had no guarantees that Carmelo would pass up the extra money and hit free agency.

I don't blame the Lakers for not selling short with him. They were not going to get equal value for him mid season. I think the Warriors were willing to trade for him with no assurances but Dwight was picky about where he wanted to play so a lot of teams were not going to be part of the bidding war. All I really blame the Lakers for is not kissing his butt if they really planned on him being the future. Anyone that has ever been the face of a franchise is going to be turned off by a "love it or leave it" attitude.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
All I really blame the Lakers for is not kissing his butt if they really planned on him being the future.

That's one thing I'm proud they didn't do. He's not that type of material.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
55 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
Losing Dwight for nothing was one of the main reasons that our franchise has been rock bottom for the last 2 years.

We got him for free, and we didn't pay to lose him, so we're at zero either way.
There was no way to trade a guy like that mid-season without him guaranteeing that team that he will re-sign. And you don't just trade the supposed best center in the league in the middle of the first year that you get him.

It's a wash in my book.

How in the world can you say this.... the key to the Dwight acquisition was Bynum.... I understand you can say NOW (after the fact) that Bynum was going to be a "washout", but again that is AFTER THE FACT..... (snipped)

I can say it now like I used to tell you back then... Bynum = damaged goods. The fact that Philly didn't know this and took the chance doesn't change the fact that I knew Bynum was done (which he was). Orlando sure seemed to know.

I wont get into another Bynum/Howard debate but history speaks for itself here.

So what if you happen to have more insight than most if not all of the other GM's in the league.... I'm not talking about what you believed I'm talking about what Bynum could bring in return AT THAT TIME base on the facts AT THAT TIME.... the fact remains that most GM's did consider Bynum to have considerable value and the fact remains that many fans, GM's and pundits still considered Bynum to be arguably the 2nd best center in the league at the time....

This is proven out by what I posted before of which you are conveniently ignoring (read the link for yourself, it's not made up you know and if you want I can provide numerous other links expressing the same sentiment at the time):
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Was Dwight Howard-Andrew Bynum Trade a Huge Mistake for Lakers and Sixers?

The facts are that this is how it was looked at as of the time when the deal went down (quote from link above):
Quote:
At the time of the four-team blockbuster deal, the Lakers and Sixers came away looking like huge winners.

Los Angeles had swapped the league's second-best center in Bynum for its best in Howard, giving up Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga and a 2017 first-round pick for the privilege. Meanwhile, Philly parted with Andre Iguodala, Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkless and a 2015 first-rounder for Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson, making a borderline playoff team an Eastern Conference contender.

Philly gave up Andre Iguodala, Nicola Vucevic, Moe Harkless and a first round pick to get Bynum.... How can anyone suggest that Bynum was "valueless" at the time of the trade? ... and as noted in the article above at the time Bynum was in many circles regarded as the "2nd best center"....

So again, Bynum was clearly considered at the time to be of value.... and as such could bring value in return.... and that value in return could have clearly been other alternatives than Dwight....

Again, you can make the claim all you want that you had better insight into the future than anyone else, the fact STILL REMAINS that Bynum was considered of value as proven by the trade and based on this it is ludicrous to conclude that Philly was the ONLY team that would have given up talent to acquire him which speaks to my point that the Lakers could have obviously acquired alternate talent than Dwight.... anyone can look back with 20/20 hindsight and say yes it turned out that Bynum was ultimately "damaged goods", but as of the time of the trade there were clearly teams out there willing to give up talent for Bynum hence obviously not convinced at the time you apparently had better insight into the future than others did around the league.... You simply cannot make a legitimate claim that Philly was the ONLY team that had any interest in Bynum... so I hope your not trying to suggest this....

... and of course based on this undeniable logic it simply does NOT come down to a "wash" as you put it simply based on the facts before us at that time.... this is where your missing my point.... You can try and deny these facts all you want, it still does not change the reality that Bynum would at that time bring value in return.... period.... so again sorry to break it to you but based on the reality at the time as a matter of fact it simply does NOT come down to a "WASH" simply because of the very fact that the Lakers would have never been able to acquire Dwight (or logically any other player of similar talent) in the first place if not for Bynum or are you going to try and argue there was another way the Lakers would have been able to acquire Dwight under the circumstances of that time or for that matter any other talent from any other teams in the NBA.... if so please explain how.... and if you can't my point has been made that concluding it was a "wash" makes absolutely no sense....

The Lakers had an opportunity to acquire talent for Bynum and they did.... it just turned out to be the wrong talent.... that is NOT a "wash" simply based on the fact that the correct talent would have resulted in a significantly better outcome for the Lakers as opposed to the path the front office took at the time....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How does it not make sense that a team would prefer to get a players Bird rights? Bosh is likely a Rocket if we could have offered him a full 5 years and the highest max possible instead of just 4 years. Melo may not be a Knick if they couldn't pay him the most.

Getting a players Bird rights doesn't make sense or help teams keep players because they can pay them the most? Ok....
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How does it not make sense that a team would prefer to get a players Bird rights? Bosh is likely a Rocket if we could have offered him a full 5 years and the highest max possible instead of just 4 years. Melo may not be a Knick if they couldn't pay him the most.

Getting a players Bird rights doesn't make sense or help teams keep players because they can pay them the most? Ok....

The front office stance is nobody is to blame for anything and there is no problem anyway because everything is good. No sign of accountability except from Byron Scott and Jeanie. My fear is Jim and Chaz are in their ivory tower believing their own excuses thinking they are doing a good enough job and high fiving each other all the way to the horsetrack.

If it wasnt for the nepotism, they would have done Jim like they did Mike Brown. He was the wrong fit and and an arbitrary deadline to turn things around doesnt change anything. We have seen what we needed to see and new management is necessary. Waiting around for Jim's self imposed deadline is only holding things back and most likely interfering with whatever masterplan the next competent GM and scouting and analytics staff can put together to get us back on track.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Uh oh!

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Sources: Dwight Howard will get second opinion on his knee, could miss extended time. Likely eliminates Howard as All-Star sub for Kobe.
6:44 PM - 29 Jan 2015
171 RETWEETS 70 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Uh oh!

Follow
Sources: Dwight Howard will get second opinion on his knee, could miss extended time. Likely eliminates Howard as All-Star sub for Kobe.

yikes, that tough, at least Jones is back but damn
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It makes sense for the player, not so much for the team. You can keep your assets and save a little room in your cap if you sign a guy as a FA. That is the reason we are talking about not trading for guy's like Reggie Jackson. It never made sense to me to give up assets for someone you can sign.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject:

No all star game for him.
Cousins was also left out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Uh oh!

Follow

The Rockets might be better without him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Uh oh!

Follow

10-4 in games without Howard.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Congrats Dwight, you're not even an all-star this year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It makes sense for the player, not so much for the team. You can keep your assets and save a little room in your cap if you sign a guy as a FA. That is the reason we are talking about not trading for guy's like Reggie Jackson. It never made sense to me to give up assets for someone you can sign.

It makes sense for the team because there are some players that want to make as much $$ as possible and being able to give you that gives you an advantage over other suitors. Teams don't count on players doing the unprecedented and leaving 20M guaranteed dollars on the table. In Howard's case, if his knee is truly jacked, then leaving that 5th year could be a mistake.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Uh oh!

Follow

Naw. We lose defensive and rebounding presence in the paint. It's more obvious when we see teams with legit bigs, which just about every Western playoff team has.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait until few years from now When a old washed up ring-less Dwight is swept out of the playoffs by some young lakers stud.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It makes sense for the team because there are some players that want to make as much $$ as possible and being able to give you that gives you an advantage over other suitors. Teams don't count on players doing the unprecedented and leaving 20M guaranteed dollars on the table. In Howard's case, if his knee is truly jacked, then leaving that 5th year could be a mistake.

It is difficult for some Laker fans to understand this because now there is a trend for players to take less money from other teams just to avoid having to play for this franchise. When you get to that point, bird rights dont make any difference.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:

It is difficult for some Laker fans to understand this because now there is a trend for players to take less money from other teams just to avoid having to play for this franchise. When you get to that point, bird rights dont make any difference.

Bingo!
Especially the crème de la crème players.
We have to hope we groom a future rookie of the year between Randle and our draft pick this year.
Otherwise grabbing a guy like KD via FA or AD via trade is completely impossible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I know that Dwight didn't leave anything on the table, so I would assume he and his agent were aware of that as well. There is the ability to opt out and re-sign and make even more than if he had signed with the Lakers. If his knee is that bad, then insurance will take care of him.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Sure hope Geico is insuring that contract.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I know that Dwight didn't leave anything on the table, so I would assume he and his agent were aware of that as well. There is the ability to opt out and re-sign and make even more than if he had signed with the Lakers. If his knee is that bad, then insurance will take care of him.

If Howard's knee is jacked then insurance will cover his remaining contract but that has nothing to do with the guaranteed 5th year that he passed on. Dwight DID leave a guaranteed 5th year on the table. As long as he is still healthy he can recover that $$. Therein lies the risk, and is exactly why having a players bird rights and the ability to pay them as much as possible can be an advantage.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

exactly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I hope Howard's knee isn't that bad, I am not a fan but I hate to see guys get hurt. I am so happy that he saved the Lakers from themselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: