38%  [ 12 ]
Seahawks
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 31

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: *** Official LG Superbowl Thread 2/1/15 ***

Let's get this party started (early)!
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I hope both teams lose.

Go Cowboys.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't follow football, but (bleep) New England/Boston. Go Seahawks!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I am going with the Pats, and the difference in the game will be the running of LaGarrette Blount. Did I mention that I am usually wrong?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't like either coach. I've come around on Brady, he still seems douchey but he's a gamer. I like Wilson. I can't stand Sherman. I can't stand the 12th man.

I'm slightly pulling for the Pats but don't care too much. Rather have a close game than a pick who wins.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am going with the Pats, and the difference in the game will be the running of LaGarrette Blount. Did I mention that I am usually wrong?

I'm going with the Pats too. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit of a Brady fan.

But the real reason is that the last few times the Pats have lost, they've been overwhelming favorites. I think Brady will have some of that Eli Manning magic on his side Sunday.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:

I concur. Don't know how LGers can root for the Pats.

Then again, I am a Rams fan and it pains me to see the Pats AND Hawks in the SB. Only other matchup that would have been worse is Pats/ 9ers.

I gotta go with the Seahags.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:

Then again, I am a Rams fan and it pains me to see the Pats AND Hawks in the SB. Only other matchup that would have been worse is Pats/ 9ers.

I just try to imagine they're more associated with Maine or Vermont and not Massachusetts
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Don't hate the Pats but anything related to Bawwwwwston I'll root against.

I also would like to see the media continue to act like whiny babies over Marshawn Lynch.

!...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
I hope both teams lose.

Go Cowboys.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Ted wrote:
I hope both teams lose.

Go Cowboys.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Don't hate the Pats but anything related to Bawwwwwston I'll root against.

I also would like to see the media continue to act like whiny babies over Marshawn Lynch.

Don't forget Sherman.

Omg!!! He's such a thug!!!!
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject:

I'm on the both teams lose bandwagon. Don't like either team
Air Apparent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

Go pats. Bleep the seacocks

"Prior to evolving his game this season (12-13), Kobe became a tall Allen Iverson." - Lakersarethebesteva
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:

Niner fans, maybe? Natural backlash.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

I picked the Seahawks because of their defense. They run so many defensive schemes Brady will be confused enough for the front four to get to him.

Tom's shown when he's pressured he'll tap dance. He make mistakes when he's forced to get rid of the ball before he wants too. I don't think they can run on Seattle so the pass is their way to win. If Kam Chancellor shuts Rob Gronkowski down Sherman and Maxwell will hold the corners.

On offense Wilson and Lynch will run their way to victory. Plus Wilson doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He's a better passer than he's given credit for being.

It's a hard pick because I don't see Tom failing in four SB attempts.

EDIT: Weather may be a factor, it might be raining. That too will affect the passing game, no deflated footballs allowed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

I'm rooting against the Patriots, but am almost certain they will win . . . unfortunately.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

I'm a Patriots fan, but I don't see us getting past Seattle. That is why I was pulling for GB in the conference championship game.

When the Patriots pass:
There will be some great match ups in this game though. Seattle has a great defensive secondary, very skilled and smart. Sherman is just a great competitor with great technique, he reads receivers like an open book. Thomas is great at pattern recognition, he'll similarly read the routes quickly and flawlessly, limiting gains. Chanceller is SS trapped in a LB's body. Seattle also has great confidence in executing as a unit, so I don't expect defensive breakdowns in that great secondary. Though cover 1 might make sense against the Patriots, they feed off of cover 3 as a unit.

Patriots will need a big game out of Gronk. I expect bracket coverage that will of course change, but most of the time it will probably be Chanceller and Wright. That could open things up for Edelman or Amendola, who might be an interesting match up with the Seattle secondary as they are both short, compact, quick, low to the ground receivers. That might be a good counter for Seattle's size, and it plays into Brady's dink and dunk game. Brady doesn't take much time, but the the Patriot OL has not been predictable this season, especially now with Bryan Stork hobbled. Brady can get rattled by good pass rush pressure. Oh, and I expect a bit of Brandon LaFell on the right side as he's the only receiver who really constitutes anything remotely resembling a deep threat. Brady won't throw deep, but that will keep Sherman busy as Sherman likes to stay on his side of the field.

When the Patriots runs:
That's the million dollar question: How often will they run? The NE passing game plays into a Seattle strength. Unfortunately (from a Pat's fan perspective) Seattle is pretty good at containing the run. My best guess is that Belichick will go with Blount on the ground. We might see some unusual power formations from NE, like two TEs (Gronk and Hoomanawanu (sp?) as they are superb blockers) or an extra tackle. They'll need an extra big body or two to get Blount going. Blount is trickier than he looks as a runner, but he isn't explosive. He's a good low-to-the-ground runner who patiently runs behind his blockers, waiting for his opportunity.

When Seattle runs:
Dial 911. The Patriots only real run stuffer at the line is Vince Wilfork. The Patriot DE's are disciplined, but that are not particularly effective at stopping the run. NE has a good linebacker corp, and they'll need SS Chung (who is moderately awful) in frequent 8 in the box defensive alignments. I expect Marshawn Lynch to have a very big game.

Oh, and keep an eye on Jamie Collins. He's the most athletically gifted LB of the bunch, and he'll likely be asked to keep an eye on Wilson. Wilson is a damn good athlete and quick, but Collins is no slouch. Wilson's small size might be an advantage versus Collins in terms of quickness.

When Seattle passes:
I expect Seattle to mix things up, using Wilson's passing game to keep the Patriot's defense honest. Lots of play action and zone reads, as long as the Patriots maintain good defensive discipline they will limit the chance of Wilson making a breakout play. While the Patriots don't have the "Legion of Boom" the NE secondary is very good.

Keys to outcome for both teams: Red zone, third down conversion
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

^^^^^ Michael Hoomanawanui Great post. You seem to know your game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

Seattle obviously has a great secondary, but if New England can open it up just enough to get those short pass with potential for YAC routes, they'd hope to get their players matched up against LBs rather than the LOB. If the Pats offense is patient and prepared to keep the ball going on long drives to earn yards in bits and control time of possession, that is the way to win against Seattle.

From there, I think it is then down to the question of whether they can survive against the running threat of Lynch and then Wilson. New England has a decent LB corps, some athletic guys in the front like Jones, Collins, Hightower, etc... and these guys need to get up in the backfield to try and throttle that run game.

I'd say Seattle holds a slight edge, but if the Pats hold their own in the run game, I think they'll do it. They don't need to match what Lynch & co do, mainly because NE has a superior passing game, but if the Pats run game is respectable, watch out.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

Seahawks no doubt. NE's WRs can't beat SEA defense one-on-one. Other than Gronkowski, who else is a threat?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Seahawks no doubt. NE's WRs can't beat SEA defense one-on-one. Other than Gronkowski, who else is a threat?

Edleman, Vereen, and LaFell can hold their own pretty well. Brady is sort of like Nash...he can turn certain good roleplayers into allstars.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Conker wrote:

Edleman, Vereen, and LaFell can hold their own pretty well. Brady is sort of like Nash...he can turn certain good roleplayers into allstars.

I don't think it is as cut and dried as some of those who are picking the Seahawks think it is. There's no doubt talent on the Seahawks, but that talent isn't a guarantee of anything. That NFC title game proved that the Seahawks can be exposed. They are in the Superbowl because of an epic collapse by their opponent as much as they are their own efforts.

While the Belichick/Brady Patriots certainly have failed to deliver at times in the big game, these guys have been there many times. Pete Carroll's record isn't that great in the NFL post-season. And thanks to the whole ball controversy, the Patriots have a ton to prove on Sunday.

In this kind of game, when there's no huge talent discrepancy, experience and motivation tend to trump everything else, and the Patriots are probably better off in those two departments.

I hope I'm wrong, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Conker wrote:

I don't think it is as cut and dried as some of those who are picking the Seahawks think it is. There's no doubt talent on the Seahawks, but that talent isn't a guarantee of anything. That NFC title game proved that the Seahawks can be exposed. They are in the Superbowl because of an epic collapse by their opponent as much as they are their own efforts.

While the Belichick/Brady Patriots certainly have failed to deliver at times in the big game, these guys have been there many times. Pete Carroll's record isn't that great in the NFL post-season. And thanks to the whole ball controversy, the Patriots have a ton to prove on Sunday.

In this kind of game, when there's no huge talent discrepancy, experience and motivation tend to trump everything else, and the Patriots are probably better off in those two departments.

I hope I'm wrong, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

No you're right, and it's why I think the Pats have this as well. From a mental standpoint, the Patriots have something to prove and are by and large the underdogs in most folks' minds. The Seahawks see this as gravy to last year's title...at least I got that vibe from Wilson who sort of had a "I'm just glad to be here again" attitude on media day.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I've heard Peyton Manning was "sort like Nash."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28
Jump to: