Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lkjhf wrote:
MJST wrote:
Did Al Jefferson?

the jefferson comp is lazy. jefferson is trash. he's a fat turd and his career high TS% was barely like 55% in his rookie season. he's a black hole and a chucker offensively. okafor is actually efficient offensively and has great physical tools. he's in good shape, gets off the floor very quickly(the single duncan comp in terms of athleticism that actually fits), giants hands, huge wingspan, great standing reach, etc. okafor could be an uncoachable druggie and he wouldnt turn out as lame as jefferson

Okafor's standing reach is between 0.5" - 1" more than Jefferson' at the same age, and he has some of the biggest hands in the NBA. (9.5") And if he gets up the court quicker than Jefferson did at that age, it's not by much. The physical comparisons between the two are actually very close.

Which is why I am a little worried about taking Okafor. A 6'10 center that isnt very good a defense. I would rather WCS but idk if its justifed taking a Tyson Chandler clone that high in the draft.

Nbadraft.net has us taking Russell and Kamenski in the first round. That would be the ideal draft for me!! Maybe grab Anderson in the second round?

That would be great, but I don't think Kaminsky falls that far. DX has him at #13. I still need to watch more players but Hollis Jefferson is a MKG-lite kind of guy that I kind of like for the Houston pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Can't Okafor learn defense? He already has half the court at an NBA level.

Sure, but any player could theoretically learn whatever their weakness is. I could perhaps see him becoming a decent positional defender, but he's very floor bound defensively, and does a poor job of contesting. I think getting him to become an average NBA defensive big is going to be a tall order.

He seems to be less explosive than the other rim protectors in the draft and his P&R defense isn't very good, he often ends up trailing his man. He has a quick jump which is a big advantage on offense but not defense. One situation you know when you are going, the other you have to react to someone else.

He has wingspan, hands, and is a quick jumper.

Even Marc Gasol made DPOY.

And with Marc it was because of anticipation, footwork and positioning. There is no reason that Okafor cannot learn the same things.

Did Al Jefferson?

Al Jefferson did not have Okafor's background in terms of leadership and skills as teenagers.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lkjhf wrote:
MJST wrote:
Did Al Jefferson?

the jefferson comp is lazy. jefferson is trash. he's a fat turd and his career high TS% was barely like 55% in his rookie season. he's a black hole and a chucker offensively. okafor is actually efficient offensively and has great physical tools. he's in good shape, gets off the floor very quickly(the single duncan comp in terms of athleticism that actually fits), giants hands, huge wingspan, great standing reach, etc. okafor could be an uncoachable druggie and he wouldnt turn out as lame as jefferson

Okafor's standing reach is between 0.5" - 1" more than Jefferson' at the same age, and he has some of the biggest hands in the NBA. (9.5") And if he gets up the court quicker than Jefferson did at that age, it's not by much. The physical comparisons between the two are actually very close.

Which is why I am a little worried about taking Okafor. A 6'10 center that isnt very good a defense. I would rather WCS but idk if its justifed taking a Tyson Chandler clone that high in the draft.

Nbadraft.net has us taking Russell and Kamenski in the first round. That would be the ideal draft for me!! Maybe grab Anderson in the second round?

That would be great, but I don't think Kaminsky falls that far. DX has him at #13. I still need to watch more players but Hollis Jefferson is a MKG-lite kind of guy that I kind of like for the Houston pick.

I giggled at a user named PickNPop getting all excited about Kaminsky.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:

Al Jefferson is not a fat turd
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Sure, but any player could theoretically learn whatever their weakness is. I could perhaps see him becoming a decent positional defender, but he's very floor bound defensively, and does a poor job of contesting. I think getting him to become an average NBA defensive big is going to be a tall order.

He seems to be less explosive than the other rim protectors in the draft and his P&R defense isn't very good, he often ends up trailing his man. He has a quick jump which is a big advantage on offense but not defense. One situation you know when you are going, the other you have to react to someone else.

And with Marc it was because of anticipation, footwork and positioning. There is no reason that Okafor cannot learn the same things.

Did Al Jefferson?

Al Jefferson isn't Okafor, so I don't see the relevance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lkjhf wrote:
MJST wrote:
Did Al Jefferson?

Nbadraft is, well, the same as the last part of your screen name if you added another "o".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I will post this here since we don't really have a college basketball board, but that Northern Iowa defense is amazing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I DVR'd the Duke game so I could concentrate on watching Okafor playing defense. He played better today than the last game I watched. He moved his feet well, he challenged shots, he played pretty good help D with a few missed rotations. He won't be a rim protector, but I don't see his defense being a reason not to draft him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I DVR'd the Duke game so I could concentrate on watching Okafor playing defense. He played better today than the last game I watched. He moved his feet well, he challenged shots, he played pretty good help D with a few missed rotations. He won't be a rim protector, but I don't see his defense being a reason not to draft him.

Frustrating night for Okafor, but goodness Tyus Jones is a player.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think scouts may be sleeping on tyus. I've been saying it all season and he's been stepping up big time in big time games. He may rise considerably by the time tournament comes around. It's like he he can score whenever he wants but sacrifices for the team. Idk I may be wrong but he seems to show up when they need him most.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yup. Have always liked the kid and was hoping he'd fall to the Houston pick. Not sure anymore.

Winslow also played well today. Showed much more aggression except when he was on the floor and Anderson was about to go mma on him.
onthedownlow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Mark my words, as good as Okafor is on his inside offense, he still will be the next Eddy Curry. And mark my words, Stanley Johnson will be the next Lebron James, or at least a Lebron lite.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

onthedownlow wrote:
Mark my words, as good as Okafor is on his inside offense, he still will be the next Eddy Curry. And mark my words, Stanley Johnson will be the next Lebron James, or at least a Lebron lite.

Of course I will mark your words and remember this post, because it's so uncommon for people to make declarative statements.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think scouts may be sleeping on tyus. I've been saying it all season and he's been stepping up big time in big time games. He may rise considerably by the time tournament comes around. It's like he he can score whenever he wants but sacrifices for the team. Idk I may be wrong but he seems to show up when they need him most.

Everything you want in a traditional PG.

I do think about it though. Trey Burke had his share of hero moments for Michigan as well...

Doesn't fly as high at the NBA level.. Measurements?

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Hezonja 8-8 threes today
http://www.sportando.com/m/en/europe/spain/150751/mario-hezonja-ties-acb-record-shooting-8-for-8-from-long-range-vs-manresa.html Count em all

This is the first time he's hit more than 2 threes in a game this season. BUT I noticed his mechanics are smoother than vids from earlier this year - he's getting full extension on his follow through (jumping higher to do it) -- so I think his good shooting is here to stay. I think he grew an inch and it threw his mechanics off coming into this year, idk
His high release could be deadly in the league tho
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Everything you want in a traditional PG.

I do think about it though. Trey Burke had his share of hero moments for Michigan as well...

Doesn't fly as high at the NBA level.. Measurements?

Burke was really good at a lot of things at the college level, and wasn't necessarily poor in size (no worse size than Paul) and athleticism, but perhaps not good enough at either to make up for the other. And while he was a good playmaker, he wasn't a great one per se.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

wait on what planet are 9.5" wide hands "some of the biggest in the nba?"

ryan kelly's hands are 10". kawhis are 11.something"

okafor has greg smith-tier hands. he had a (bleep) performance by his standards in the uva game but he showed those hands on one of his quick dunks in the second half
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Hezonja 8-8 threes today
http://www.sportando.com/m/en/europe/spain/150751/mario-hezonja-ties-acb-record-shooting-8-for-8-from-long-range-vs-manresa.html Count em all

This is the first time he's hit more than 2 threes in a game this season. BUT I noticed his mechanics are smoother than vids from earlier this year - he's getting full extension on his follow through (jumping higher to do it) -- so I think his good shooting is here to stay. I think he grew an inch and it threw his mechanics off coming into this year, idk
His high release could be deadly in the league tho

Can't wait until we get more film on him
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Who is this Hezonja dude?

Just googled him and wow, found a very impressive dunk mix of him.. Some of those dunks are just vicious. Dont know anything about the guy but hes got some hops.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I really don't know too much about him myself. I just know 6'8+ , has the best jumper of all the wing prospects by farrrr, he's hyper athletic, if his ball handling/creating is better than Stanley, im taking this kid and calling him a star in the making
onthedownlow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:

Just googled him and wow, found a very impressive dunk mix of him.. Some of those dunks are just vicious. Dont know anything about the guy but hes got some hops.

Problem with this guy is his attitude. And the fact that the numbers prove that all his teams have played more efficiently without him on the court then with him. Great physically gifted player and talent. Just not a team type of player at all.
onthedownlow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Did Al Jefferson?

Al Jefferson isn't Okafor, so I don't see the relevance.

You're right. Okafor isn't another Al Jefferson. More like a combo of " Eddy Curry " and " Kevin Duckworth "
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:

sheeeesh
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I really don't know too much about him myself. I just know 6'8+ , has the best jumper of all the wing prospects by farrrr, he's hyper athletic, if his ball handling/creating is better than Stanley, im taking this kid and calling him a star in the making

His ball handling is definitely better than Johnson's.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

I was trying to hype hezonja awhile ago. Even started a thread for him down below w no replies lol.

I liked him, but as I've seen more footage of him, I don't really like him as much anymore. Looks like a poser, concerned style over substance. I mean hes got skills but he plays for himself too much imo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 14 of 36
Jump to: