Best C prospect 2015 Draft: Towns or Okafor? (& others)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Towns needs to get stronger, he has the size and defensive tools to play C but he doesn't play with the same intensity or effort on defense as WCS.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I have been big on towns for a while now but I just don't see how anybody can pass on okafor.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Towns needs to get stronger, he has the size and defensive tools to play C but he doesn't play with the same intensity or effort on defense as WCS.

WCS is also more experienced. I think Towns will get there eventually

PICKnPOP wrote:
I have been big on towns for a while now but I just don't see how anybody can pass on okafor.

I need to watch more Okafor play admittedly. But in the little I've seen, I'm not sure he'll play both sides of the ball effectively in the NBA. Also, I'm not sure the rules allow for post only player to be dominant. I see Towns as having more of an all-around game which best suits a modern big man. I think he'll be a better passer, floor spacer, and defender than Okafor at the next level.

But again I do need to watch more of Okafor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

WCS is also more experienced. I think Towns will get there eventually

PICKnPOP wrote:

I need to watch more Okafor play admittedly. But in the little I've seen, I'm not sure he'll play both sides of the ball effectively in the NBA. Also, I'm not sure the rules allow for post only player to be dominant. I see Towns as having more of an all-around game which best suits a modern big man. I think he'll be a better passer, floor spacer, and defender than Okafor at the next level.

But again I do need to watch more of Okafor.

Okafor is as sure a thing as you're gonna get in a big man. His offensive repertoire is already very polished - face up, back down, hooks, spins, bank shots, he's got it all. Defensively, he protects the rim and affects the offense just with his presence. Only thing that I see from him is that he needs to be a more dedicated rebounder, though his rebound stats still project decently - comparable to Derrick Favors' rebound stats in his freshman year. Okafor will be a 20/10 guy for a long, long time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I drool over okafor. Imagine when the kid gets NBA level training, a personal chef, and NBA coaching. Wowser.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

Okafor definitely if we get the #1 pick. He is just so polished offensively. However, in saying that I believe Towns will flourish here as well. His skill set meshes better with Randle as he can shoot beyond 15 feet and not occupy the same floor for Ramdle to work with. His defense is good but you add his skills with a little love from coach Scott's defensive camp he and Randle can cause fits for years.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Irie wrote:
Okafor definitely if we get the #1 pick. He is just so polished offensively. However, in saying that I believe Towns will flourish here as well. His skill set meshes better with Randle as he can shoot beyond 15 feet and not occupy the same floor for Ramdle to work with. His defense is good but you add his skills with a little love from coach Scott's defensive camp he and Randle can cause fits for years.

My thinking as well. I won't shed a tear if we get Okafor lol. And I'll still be ecstatic if we get Towns too.

He reminds me of a '07-'08 Bynum with extended range. That's my projection for him. And that would be a beastly player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If it's first I'd go after Towns. He needs to add strength but that's pretty much it. Strength and experience.

Okafor will always be gifted offensively but defensively he'll always be what he is. A better version of Al Jefferson.

If it's around 3rd, then I'd go with Stanley Johnson. I'm doing this with the intent of drafting LeVert at 20th if Houston falls to the 8th seed which I hope they do and stay at If it's 4th then Johnson is likely gone so I'd go with Winslow. I stay as far away from Mudiay as possible and let the Knicks have him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If it's first I'd go after Towns. He needs to add strength but that's pretty much it. Strength and experience.

Okafor will always be gifted offensively but defensively he'll always be what he is. A better version of Al Jefferson.

If it's around 3rd, then I'd go with Stanley Johnson. I'm doing this with the intent of drafting LeVert at 20th if Houston falls to the 8th seed which I hope they do and stay at If it's 4th then Johnson is likely gone so I'd go with Winslow. I stay as far away from Mudiay as possible and let the Knicks have him.

Agreed!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Okafor.

I don't believe in "fitting" a player around a system. Talent is flat out talent, and Okafor is the most polished offensive player at the NCAA level.

If the Spurs can find a way to succeed with Duncan this late in his career as a post player, why can't Okafor just add range? He's already killing it from 12' like Duncan used to.

I'll still continue to have Levert high on my list. Just needs strength and some defensive fundamentals. Easy fixes. The rest is already there.

Add Jerian Grant to that list as well.

Otherwise, this is exactly how guys like Rajon Rondo and Dennis Schroeder slip down in the draft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject:

As good as WCS is defensively, doesn't he have a sickle cell problem? From what I understand, it forces him to play restricted minutes.

I like him a lot for his, IMO, prime Tyson Chandler potential but I don't know if he is worth a top 5 pick. Now if he fell to mid lottery (early teens) then hell yea on taking him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Okafor.

I don't believe in "fitting" a player around a system. Talent is flat out talent, and Okafor is the most polished offensive player at the NCAA level.

If the Spurs can find a way to succeed with Duncan this late in his career as a post player, why can't Okafor just add range? He's already killing it from 12' like Duncan used to.

I'll still continue to have Levert high on my list. Just needs strength and some defensive fundamentals. Easy fixes. The rest is already there.

Otherwise, this is exactly how guys like Rajon Rondo and Dennis Schroeder slip down in the draft.

Just from my eye test, I don't think he is more talented than Towns. He is far more polished though.

I see it as kind of similar to the Wiggins vs Jabari debate. I sided with Wiggins there, and I side with Towns here
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
As good as WCS is defensively, doesn't he have a sickle cell problem? From what I understand, it forces him to play restricted minutes.

I like him a lot for his, IMO, prime Tyson Chandler potential but I don't know if he is worth a top 5 pick. Now if he fell to mid lottery (early teens) then hell yea on taking him.

I actually researched his illness. He doesn't have sickle cell disease, he has sickle cell trait. In sickle cell disease, a patient has two genes that produces abnormal hemoglobin. In sickle cell trait, the patient only has gene and most individuals with this illness live a normal life. Most people with this trait won't have many symptoms and can participate in athletic activities. His high school coach didn't even know he had an illness.

Here's an article that explains WCS and his illness if you want to read into it:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/12/11/2983379/kentuckys-cauley-stein-adding.html

It says it's a recurring issue but I don't think it's anything too serious. He hasn't really missed any games because of it but has had some minute reductions due to discomfort. The article states that he is not currently on any medication, so maybe if he starts taking medicine his condition will improve. Either way though, if we are in range to draft him I fully expect he will be examined thoroughly by medical experts.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Okafor.

Just from my eye test, I don't think he is more talented than Towns. He is far more polished though.

I see it as kind of similar to the Wiggins vs Jabari debate. I sided with Wiggins there, and I side with Towns here

For 7' bigs I will always take refinement over raw potential.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Okafor.

Fair point 44. Bigs take longer to develop usually so that makes sense.

But Towns isn't extremely raw though. I think he's far enough along to pick. I know I'm in the minority with wanting Towns over Okafor. Some of it is just my gut
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Okafor has been showing that he's far more athletic than anyone originally thought. He repeatedly beats his man in transition and gets easy buckets. It's very impressive for a guy his size. He's been hitting that face-up 12 footer in opponents face all season long and I don't see why he couldn't extend it to 15 feet easily. He is very right hand dominant but if he's developed by a franchise like the lakers that's easily fixed with time.

Okafor has also shown flashes of decent lateral quickness and it makes me less concerned about his ability to defend the pick and roll at the next level. He will never be Dwight Howard but he won't be a liability on defense either. He can't jump at all but he makes up for it with very long arms.

Anyone who thinks he projects as al Jefferson hasn't seen him play. He will be a solid bigman and his game is very similar to tim Duncan.

I don't ever expect him to reach Duncan's greatness but he can definately real his potential by adding lower body strength, working on his left, and extending his touch out to 15 feet.

I think he will be fine defensively because he at least try's.

I love towns but The more I watch him, the more I realize that he's a power forward at the next level. He just doesn't possess the lower body strength to bang down low. It would take years for him to develop the lower body strength to play center in the NBA but I don't see him developing that way. He's a 4 at the next level and I think that kind of takes away from his potential a little bit.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
22 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Okafor.

Agreed.

Towns isn't an elite level athlete in the way that Anthony Davis or KG are/were. He's strong, fluid, very coordinated, but I wouldn't say fast... or especially explosive.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Last game vs. LSU

Some more clutch play
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

My vote. I want Towns.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Screamin A and Skip Baseless "debate" the subject.

They bring up the same points we have been lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

who'd have guess we'd have a shot at these two? Dang we're blessed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: