former slam dunk champ calls out charles barkley on sabremetrics

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magical.lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: former slam dunk champ calls out charles barkley on sabremetrics

they wwork together?

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11471-brent-barry-charles-barkley-comments-a-massive-disservice
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Listen. I'm a total moron...but I'm a former atha-lete, so let me tell you, that them analytics is turrible, just turrible.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Sabremetrics is for baseball.....
If you are using sabremetrics for basketball you are doing it wrong...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

It has become a generic term for statistical analytics in sports.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

How do you like the game? Analytics, move the ball side to side, swing it, team play.

Individual players, dunking, crossover ankle breakers, step back jumpers, exciting plays. I like a mixture.

I like the Spurs catch, face the basket, if you have a shot, take it, if not move it. Count 1 2 pass or shoot.

I also like LeBron style, charge the hole and posterize somebody, Steph Curry wicked crossover ankle breakers. Classic jumper.

Mixum up.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

^I don't think a methodology breeds a style of play that is anathemic to individual talent. If anything, analytical tools would seek to maximize the efficiency of an individual player within his skill set. For example, the corner three may be regarded as the most efficient jump shot in basketball. This does not mean that a player with Shaq at their disposal would force Shaq to take such a shot. Similarly, an open dunk is probably THE most efficient shot in basketball. This doesn't mean a coach will require Korver to seek that shot.

A coach's purpose is to maximize their individual players talent, which naturally requires a rigorous account of their skill set. Analytics will further that goal, but not dictate how a player MUST play.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

Gotcha. Analytics is used to maximize a players talents. I digressed to style. Analytics can be useful. e.g. Kyle Korver, Ray Allen shooting 3's.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Well, actually, analytics does influence style. Analytics are the source of the "three or free" philosophy used by teams like the Rockets (and really just about everyone, to varying degrees). Analytics will discourage future players from playing like Kobe, because his style is inefficient. Analytics will value Kyle Korver and devalue Allen Iverson. Analytics will give us more stretch 4s and fewer Tim Duncans and Hakeem Olajuwons.

However, the fault does not lie with analytics. The fault lies in the rules, which dictate that a guy who can shoot 40% from 24 feet is more valuable than a guy who shoots 50% from 22 feet, and that big men can be manhandled in the paint while guards can get free throws for a little bump or a touch on the wrist. Analytics just figures out how to maximize success under the existing rules. If we don't like the product, we need to change the rules.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

You know it's a nobody when you have to say "former slam dunk champion," instead of their name.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, actually, analytics does influence style. Analytics are the source of the "three or free" philosophy used by teams like the Rockets (and really just about everyone, to varying degrees). Analytics will discourage future players from playing like Kobe, because his style is inefficient. Analytics will value Kyle Korver and devalue Allen Iverson. Analytics will give us more stretch 4s and fewer Tim Duncans and Hakeem Olajuwons.

However, the fault does not lie with analytics. The fault lies in the rules, which dictate that a guy who can shoot 40% from 24 feet is more valuable than a guy who shoots 50% from 22 feet, and that big men can be manhandled in the paint while guards can get free throws for a little bump or a touch on the wrist. Analytics just figures out how to maximize success under the existing rules. If we don't like the product, we need to change the rules.

Wow, no wonder I won't be watching basketball once Kobe is gone. It'll be like going to a Jazz concert and Clifford Brown and Charlie Parker only play in ensemble fashion of John Coltrane limiting his solos to 16 bars. ugh.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

So much of this. It's awesome to watch a guy like Kobe with the footwork and body control in the post that's unheard of have a guy like Tony Allen jump in his jersey "guarding" him in the post while Harden jerks back his neck neither getting head or shoulders pass his man in a drive get the whistle. It's disgusting to watch.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LETS GET BACK TO PLAYING BASKETBALL

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Gotcha. Analytics is used to maximize a players talents. I digressed to style. Analytics can be useful. e.g. Kyle Korver, Ray Allen shooting 3's.

That's why the Spurs are so effective.

It's rare to see a player outside of Tony Parker take a shot off-the-dribble unless it's at the cup.

Everything seems to be lay up or catch-and-shoot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: