Sixers: reign of management insanity continues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixers: reign of management insanity continues

activeverb wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Michael Carter-Williams (2014 RoY) is traded from the Sixers to the Bucks, in a three team deal, for draft picks.

I can only imagine the horror Philly fans must feel with another further postponement of a realistic accumulation of talent. Oh wait, I'm a Laker fan. I think I know what they're going through.

They could actually end up in great shape. Joel Embidd and Dario Saric could play for them next year and they could have potentially four first round picks this year.

They have a ton of cap space. So if a couple of their young guys pan out, that could attract a really good free agent or two. It wouldn't be shocking to see them do a complete turnaround by 2016.

If the rookie salary scale takes a big jump with the new CBA, this could be the last year to lock in rookies for very cheap 5 year deals. Having 3 (or hopefully not 4) 1st round picks would be a big deal when their deals expire in 2020. If a few of those players turn out, they could be highly sought after. Teams that have high payrolls could overpay in assets to get a million dollar player that fits their needs.

Purists and Philly fans I'm sure are frustrated, but these guys are like stocks not basketball players. Their endgame could be major.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The problem is, every guy who shows the slightest hint of realizing enough talent to accidentally win a game or two gets traded for more picks. For all their multiple years of tanking, what do they really have as assets right now?

The 76ers aren't just look for guys with a modicum of talent; they're looking for core players that could play for a championship team.

And after almost two years and all this info they learned about Michael Carter Williams, the 76ers decided Williams wasn't going to be that core player so why wouldn't they trade him now when he has still has a lot of value because he was awarded Rookie of the Year last year.

If Michael Carter Williams didn't win the Rookie of the Year in a weak draft class as a 21 year old because he played a lot of minutes as a rookie on a bad team and his team played at a high pace that inflated his stats, would there be all this hand wringing about trading a point guard who turns the ball over and has a poor shooting percentage?

For shots that weren't layups or dunks, Williams was barely shooting above 25% of those shots. With players like Noels and Embid, players the 76ers think could be those core players, they needed perimeter shooting to give spacing for Noels and Embid.

And, the asset the 76ers got was a major coup- the infamous draft pick we had traded to the Suns- top-five protected in 2015, protected 1-3 in 2016 and 2017, unprotected in 2018.

This trade was an indictment about Williams' ceiling and about how bad the 76ers are expecting us to be. The 76ers will get a really high draft pick from us in exchange for trading a point guard who can't shoot and turns the ball over because I fully expect us to be really, really bad next year even if we keep this year's pick.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject:

I have no problems with them trading MCW because he has been stinkin it up since he got into the NBA, although not as bad as Trey Burke. Especially given the fact that they need a guard who can space the floor since they have two Centers (Noel ,Embiid) as their core pieces.

With that said, it was, IMO, incredibly STUPID to trade away KJ Mcdaniels. He is a phenomenal athlete and is still really young. Not only that, but he was also producing for them. You don't trade away young players with potential who are legitimately playing well. Yea, he is gonna be a free agent but you have to pay for talent. He isn't gonna cost you 8 mil a year, as what fans of 76ers have been arguing, but probably closer to 4-6 mil which is absolutely worth it for a potential 2 way starter.

I have been a fan of what they have done so far, completely tearing it down for the chance of becoming great instead of perpetually mediocre, but this move with KJ paints an unpretty picture. If you have talent you HAVE to pay for it unless you want to remain lottery bound. Maybe that is what they want.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

Personally, if I'm a rebuilding team, I'd rather have that Lakers pick than Carter-Williams. Good point guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA and MCW hasn't even proven he can be good yet. That Lakers pick could vest this year and be the sixth or seventh pick in the draft, and the Lakers aren't likely to be any good next year or the year after either.

I do think that Philly is getting into a dangerous situation where none of their guys know how to win and are all entirely too used to losing all the time, and there's not really an end in sight for them. They also just gave away KJ McDaniels, presumably because they didn't want to pay him.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

This year's Lakers / Sixers games are going to be hilarious.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
The 76ers run their team like I run mine in NBA Live. Gotta get those draft picks

You must be the only person on the planet that still plays NBA Live man

I'm still playing arch rivals, I'm just trying to relate to the kids today

NBA Jam on the SNES>>>>Any of the new age (bleep) they have these days.

Thats true. Tournament edition with the dunks from half court. Yeahhh
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Nothing beats the dunk cut scene from Double dribble
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixers: reign of management insanity continues

fansincemagic wrote:
activeverb wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Michael Carter-Williams (2014 RoY) is traded from the Sixers to the Bucks, in a three team deal, for draft picks.

I can only imagine the horror Philly fans must feel with another further postponement of a realistic accumulation of talent. Oh wait, I'm a Laker fan. I think I know what they're going through.

They could actually end up in great shape. Joel Embidd and Dario Saric could play for them next year and they could have potentially four first round picks this year.

They have a ton of cap space. So if a couple of their young guys pan out, that could attract a really good free agent or two. It wouldn't be shocking to see them do a complete turnaround by 2016.

If the rookie salary scale takes a big jump with the new CBA, this could be the last year to lock in rookies for very cheap 5 year deals. Having 3 (or hopefully not 4) 1st round picks would be a big deal when their deals expire in 2020. If a few of those players turn out, they could be highly sought after. Teams that have high payrolls could overpay in assets to get a million dollar player that fits their needs.

Purists and Philly fans I'm sure are frustrated, but these guys are like stocks not basketball players. Their endgame could be major.

Let's just say it doesn't require a purist to see Philly's folly. They have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons. They have not been exactly impressive in their talent management decisions. They've got almost nothing but a mirage ahead of them to show for their picks and trades. High risk with Noel and Embiid. They've kept nothing of value. They even traded Vucevic and Jrue Holiday away, the only steady guys around there for years. The club may be making money but it's not much about basketball there.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/draft.html

Embiid - drafted injured
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: