Next Dominant Center Prospect? Udoka Azubuike the 15 year old?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Next Dominant Center Prospect? Udoka Azubuike the 15 year old?

I stumbled upon this player as I was perusing potential nba prospects in high school. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a "man child" in quite some time at the high school level. He has an nba body and is listed at 6'11. Also, he has man strength and explosiveness which separates him from the other supposed next shaq's.
He apparently is only 15 years of age (born in 99) and has only been playing basketball for two years or so since coming from Nigeria.

Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject:

Also, the kid is reportedly 6-11 weighs 270+ and wears a size 19 shoe.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject:

He's 15?

ya ya, and I just turned 20.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Next Dominant Center Prospect? Udoka Azubuike the 15 year old?

Corey78 wrote:
I stumbled upon this player as I was perusing potential nba prospects in high school. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a "man child" in quite some time at the high school level. He has an nba body and is listed at 6'11. Also, he has man strength and explosiveness which separates him from the other supposed next shaq's.
He apparently is only 15 years of age (born in 99) and has only been playing basketball for two years or so since coming from Nigeria.

Impressive. Balance looks pretty good, establishes post position well and knows how to move his feet with his back to the basket. Good to see his high school coach is developing his low post game.

My only concern is his weight. Everyone remembers Shaq as a monster but he was pretty lean when he was in high school.

I love how they inserted that one shot of him making a jumper in warm-ups in his mixtape as proof he can shoot. Every time I see that in a mixtape it makes me think the guy can't shoot.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Next Dominant Center Prospect? Udoka Azubuike the 15 year old?

numero-ocho wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

Impressive. Balance looks pretty good, establishes post position well and knows how to move his feet with his back to the basket. Good to see his high school coach is developing his low post game.

My only concern is his weight. Everyone remembers Shaq as a monster but he was pretty lean when he was in high school.

I love how they inserted that one shot of him making a jumper in warm-ups in his mixtape as proof he can shoot. Every time I see that in a mixtape it makes me think the guy can't shoot.

He's probably never had to shoot.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

He does look pretty explosive for his size, I hope he doesn't get too big. Eddy Curry was pretty explosive in HS too, so it's not always a guarantee.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Next Dominant Center Prospect? Udoka Azubuike the 15 year old?

numero-ocho wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

Yeah, Shaq was always really cut, even in HS, he had natural strength. The reality is that we're not likely to ever see another Shaq, that's how genetically improbable his size and athleticism was. It's a near impossible standard, and I would say most players that size, that use their athleticism as much as he did, will likely fall apart physically. I'd like to see this kid get leaner, actually, especially in today's game. That's why I hate Shaq comparisons, I think it might lead some kids to think that more weight is better.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
He does look pretty explosive for his size, I hope he doesn't get too big. Eddy Curry was pretty explosive in HS too, so it's not always a guarantee.

Eddy Curry is exactly who I thought of.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Eddy Curry had some fat on his body, was not as explosive, and was touted for having and advanced post game. Below is a highlight of him in highschool:

I hope he does not get too big as well, but (if his age is correct) he is a very intriguing and potentially beastly prospect.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Might be the best prospect but he pales in comparison to Shaq.

Shaq was incredibly lean and explosive when he was with Orlando. The guy was seriously ridiculous, and he has real basketball skills.

There's been a LOT of tall people who look good dunking, but was just horrible in other categories. This guy, at least can kind of seal. Seems like the centers these days can barely do that.

Either way, he's doesn't have the skills needed, and it'll take insane amount of work to get that in at his age.

Don't think he'll be an elite in the NBA unless something seriously drastic changes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

shaq could pass well and shoot from outside the restricted area. I just don't see it in this guy.... maybe im wrong
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject:

He has potential, going to take a LOT of work to realize. He's not Thon Maker i.e. sure fire NBA All Pro one day.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
He has potential, going to take a LOT of work to realize. He's not Thon Maker i.e. sure fire NBA All Pro one day.

I'm not sold on Thon Maker at all. I do not think he will be as great as people expect (frame, length, athleticism).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:

I'm not sold on Thon Maker at all. I do not think he will be as great as people expect (frame, length, athleticism).

I expect Maker will be somewhere between 1st-year Greak Freak and 1st-year Durant in terms of skills and fluidity.

This kid Azubuike looks like a grown man. Kinda hard not laughing when I see him play against what normal high school basketball players look like.
Looks like he has a knack for good timing on his blocks.
I could see him being a better version of Dwight. The thing with those players though, smart teams will foul them before the ball gets over their head for a dunk.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

I expect Maker will be somewhere between 1st-year Greak Freak and 1st-year Durant in terms of skills and fluidity.

This kid Azubuike looks like a grown man. Kinda hard not laughing when I see him play against what normal high school basketball players look like.
I could see him being a better version of Dwight. The thing with those players though, smart teams will foul them before the ball gets over their head for a dunk.

When he dunks, as a 7'1" player, he's barely getting the ball over the cup. Yes, that matters.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject:

There are questions about his real age: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2123657-15-year-old-man-child-udoka-azubuike-brings-age-questions-to-recruiting-circuit
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

When he dunks, as a 7'1" player, he's barely getting the ball over the cup. Yes, that matters.

Maker or Azubuike?
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Hybrid of Ime and Kelenna?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: