Vegas SL Day Six (7/11) impressions (somewhat long)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Vegas SL Day Six (7/11) impressions (somewhat long)

Hi. I think I posted this in the wrong place, so I am moving my comments regarding yesterday in vegas to this slot - JM
=======================

July 11, 2006

I returned to the Vegas Summer Pro venue Tuesday to catch the action and report in. Ended up shooting video for a student/friend who is involved with a web vidcasting service. So, I shot certain people, things based upon what the audience might want to see (and what interested me.)

I gained some impressions from this:

1. Boston vs Toronto: Boston killed Torono,no contest. Bargnani disappeared and nobody from the Raptors could shoot a lick. Wm Avery looked lost. Kris Humphreys was frustrated all night. The Celtics completely overwhelmed this bunch. Who looked good, from my perspective, was Gerald Green. Athletic, quick, and bigger than I expected. (Bigger than Martel.) I tried to follow and shoot Bargnani but could get nothing on tape that was very interesting except freethrow form. He did play OK "d."

2. Denver vs Golden State: I tracked Casey Jacobson, even got to speak with him before the game. He looked ok, less impressive than prevous. Azuibueke (sp?) was tough, going to the free throw line from h is aggressive play. I also tracked Patrick O'Bryant. O'Bryant is very tall, as listed, and coordinated and lanky. He kept his position pretty well, showed me he has a future (he is athletic,) but did not blow me away with his offense. He looked pretty assured in the middle at times, awkward at others (as one might think.) This game was much more interesting to watch than the first game - - - which was a true snoozer (hard to evaluate people in such blowout games.)

3. Clips vs Houston: Houston first - - I really wanted to track Steve Novak (on another hot night out) but he kept clanking shots left and right. Pat Carroll was hot, but I never had my camera on him. Novak still hustled and blocked out and seemed to work within the flow, but he looked like a typical outside gunner (fairly one-dimensional this time out.)

John Lucas again impressed me. He is quick, distributes the ball, doesn't lose his composure often. Cannot be pressured easily, has great balance in the lane and doesn't get too overwhelmed on "D." I think (other than Foye and Roy) he is my fav this summer session. I spoke to him during game four (he sat near his dad) and he was a nice guy in response to my comments about his game. I wished him well this season (and meant it) telling him that I hoped he survived in the league this year.

Lonnie Baxter was again tough (as he always is - man is he wide,) and Chuck Hayes played his usual dependable game (not good enough "O" and not big enough on "D" to help Houston Win.

Beilein and Wallace, two white bench guys, finally got some minutes (not very good minutes,) which I was glad to see. There are many people at the end of the bench in this league just not getting much PT. It must be hard (I will try and interview a couple of these guys in the next couple days if I am able and welcomed.)

The Clips won without looking interesting or spectacular. Bad shooting both teams. Jawaad Willimams had his moments (he parked near where my camera was stationed in the 3rd and 4th quarter and I got to see him up very close.) Livingston just sort of lazed through the game, but you can see he is a very good althlete as is James Singleton. Diaz, Ewing and these two vets all shot poorly. Very bad game, actually.

Afterward I was able to film Livingston giving interviews to a number of journalists and he seemed like a very very available and nice guy. I really want him to have a breakout year even though I am a Laker's fan.

4. NY vs ????. For this fourth game I decided only to film Renaldo Balkman as a main subject, thus I cannot remember NY's opponent. Zeke was there watching. Walt Frazier was there signing autographs and doing commentary. Baron Davis was there. Thompson, former Sun former UCLA forward, was there eating chips. Van Gundy (he looked more relaxed than I remember from last season) was there talking to Rudy T (he looked more relaxed than I remember.) Everyone was there to watch Balkman (who looked very relaxed also.)

Here is what I saw thru my viewfinder: He is broadshouldered and athletic. He has a good looking dred-fro. He keeps moving. He roots for others and appears interested when riding the pine. He doesn't appear to get tired. He can jump and is pretty quick.

Balkman didn't show any shot at all.

Amazing when you shoot video and focus on a subject you really dont' see the games. You see the shots. And you think about how to present shots in order, constructing meaning thru alternating shot sizes, emphasizing environment and then detail - - ebb and flow. You look at the footage later and the game makes more sense than when you shoot (and are in tunnel vision land trying to compose shots.)

My summary here: Balkman is athletic and wears his headband well.

I did not stay for the fifth game, it's already 9pm and I am shooting game one tomorrow (have to get my rest.)

I hope some of this is useful. Nothing in this day was a new suprise or something 'convincing' or meaningful. IN FACT - Bargnani went down in my estimation. Novak went down. Only John Lucas' game captured my attention vividly.

Oh, and the hotdogs were not as good today as in day one last week.

JM
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: